Conversion of HD DVD, HD DVD owners don't despair

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Dupe. Already posted.

I know i posted the same data under the format war was over, I didn't see it anywhere else. I just felt it needed its own thread where people could get the link easier. If it was posted somewhere else by someone else, then i apologize for redundancy. No big deal really. I'm just tryin to help people. :up

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
From reading that, it sounds like it would be easier and cheaper to just go buy it on Blu-Ray, not to mention that burned discs aren't exactly the most enduring things ever....

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Bitter would be converting Blu-Ray's to 3x DVD (HD DVD burners and blank media aren't the greatest!).

Until blank Blu-Ray discs get down to $1, it is probably better to buy/rent the Blu-Ray. I suspect, there may be issues with the lower bandwidth encodes from HD DVD like macroblocking, etc. A few people on AVS complained about the lower bit rate encodes from Warner.

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Hey Guys,
At least it gives you options, my recommendation would be to back the discs to hard drive then burn at a later date (ie when blu ray discs are less than 2 dollars). I know its not perfect in terms of solutions but hey, its better than nothing.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Today, considering the cost of the blanks as well as everything else, it's cheaper to buy it on Blu-ray. And IMO most if not all HD DVD movies will be available on BD.

Did 8 track tape owners stock up when that format died? Did they copy to cassette?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Which might explain in part why the studios ended up with Blu-ray. They want to control their content. True, to a degree that is ever more inconvenient for us, but they have a valid interest in stopping piracy.

Ahh, for a home media center to distro Dish HD throughout my house, as well as DVDs and BDs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)