Convert component input to HDMI

PurpleRedbird

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Not sure if this is the proper forum, so I apologize in advance if it is not.

We just got a new HD tv for our family room and I'm looking for a recommendation on a device that would let me convert my component input devices to an HDMI output so I can make use of the HDMI ports on the back of the new TV. I have a switchbox that I have three component inputs plugged in to (WII, 2nd tuner from dish receiver, DVD player). My new tv has one component input, but it is on the side of the tv and just doesn't look good.

Any suggestions (assuming there are products that do this) would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Memorial Day to all.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the proper forum, so I apologize in advance if it is not.

We just got a new HD tv for our family room and I'm looking for a recommendation on a device that would let me convert my component input devices to an HDMI output so I can make use of the HDMI ports on the back of the new TV. I have a switchbox that I have three component inputs plugged in to (WII, 2nd tuner from dish receiver, DVD player). My new tv has one component input, but it is on the side of the tv and just doesn't look good.

Any suggestions (assuming there are products that do this) would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Memorial Day to all.

If you do a google search, you will find several of these available:

Component to HDMI Converter box HDCP Compliant - VETCO.NET
Component Video + Analog Audio to HDMI Converter
Audio/Video, Adapters/Converters

Note that some are limited to 720P resolution. The going price these days has come down and is now around $150.

I personally went a different route. I wanted to experience theater quality sound, so I went with a home a/v receiver and external speakers. Several manufacturers, such as Denon and Onkyo offer receivers that have up-conversion and video switching built in. They will accept component, s-video and composite inputs and output HDMI 1080P. The Onkyo 606/607 has these features for around $350 - $450. Many members here have this receiver and agree it is a bargain for what it delivers. You get the added bonus of much better sound quality than you will get from TV speakers. I know that people have different situations, and if this doesn't meet your other needs, that's OK too. Just trying to offer an alternative.

Thanks to you both for the quick reply. I had done the google search before I posted and found a few candidates.

I did misstate a bit in that I actually needed an S-Video to HDMI converter. I am going to look into the receiver you recommended as well.

Thanks again.

For the same MSRP as the 606, you might also consider the Denon 789. It is close to closeout and has 1080p upscaling compared to 1080i for the Onkyo.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)