converting a air compressor from 220v to 110v

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I know this is WAY off topic, but with so many wonderfull members hopefully someone can help me out.
I have a 7 year old Craftsman 6 hp air compressor that is currently set up to run on 220v. I would like to set it up to run on 110v. Does anyone know if that is possible and if so, how do i do it? Google search has failed me for once....

mandatory satellite content- as soon as i can hook this up i can sand blast the pole my BUD is on and get it repainted :D

Buck boost transformer. This transformer will take the 120v input and output 220V.

It probably depends on the particular motor. It's been years since I've bought any major motorized tools from Sears, but they had some motors that you could decide for yourself which output you wanted. You could change them from one to the other. These motors had a plate on the side you could take off and as simple as unplugging wires and relocating them you could change it either way. You would also need to change the cord or the plug, so you wouldn't plug it into the wrong outlet. If I remember right, there was also a diagram inside the plate cover to show you which was which. I doubt they make motors like this anymore, so this probably won't help you. Now days they would prefer you to buy a new motor. Lot's of luck.

Al

a 220 motor will run on 110, just extremely slow.....and it's pretty much a big hazard.......some motors can do either 220 or 110 with no problems, if the motor is capable of that, it'll more than likely say on the ID plate.......but my recommendation would be to get a 110 comp.......changing the motor out is time consuming and could be costly

A 220 volt motor runs better at that voltage. many can be converted to 110. look at where the line cord connects to the motor. you will likely find 4 wires, with 2 connected to the line cord, and 2 connected together. makes motor one series string.

should be a chart to convert connecting 2 motor leads to each of the power line wires.

Sears has local service stores with some documentation nationwide, you might try checking.

but converting will likely produce less air, and with the low cost of air compressors today you might be better off just buying a new one.

Pull power plug and use extreme caution when working with power line voltages, they can kill

If the motor is dual voltage it should be clearly marked as such. Unless Sears hides that information from customers.

Is it really a 6 hp motor? If so, it would draw around 50 amps at 110 volts. I have a Sanborn 2 hp compressor. It draws approx 20 amps at 110 volts. Some equipment is rates at "peak horsepower" and that only reflects the peak current draw at startup, and is not equal to running horsepower. My motor is dual voltage, as mentioned, by moving some wires under the plate on the side of the motor itself, and because of the amperage draw, I run it on 220v.

Most likely a 6 HP motors cannot run on 110 volts. The current draw would exceed what is available in the typical 110 volt circuit (20 amps max).

If it can run on 110, it will be clearly marked.

Thanks for all the replys folks. I was going to hook it up as 110 because i dont have a 220 (20 amp) outlet set up in this house yet. Guess ill just wait till i get one hooked up.
Once again,
THANKS

mikester said:
use a converter?

You cannot do that. if the converter is 100% efficient (which it will not be), it will draw 40 amps of 110V. You can't get that much out of an outlet.

If you have to put a special circuit in to do this, you might as well put a 220 volt circuit in and not bother with the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts