Convince me to switch from an iPhone

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I've been using the iPhone for 4 years now. I will admit I do miss android in a way. I have an iMac but the biggest gripe I have is in order to get more storage for the iPhone it costs more than being able to have expandable memory which the iPhone doesn't have.
The biggest reason why I left android is forced closed errors. I got them everyday and I decided enough was enough. With that being said convince me why I should switch back to android.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I haven't seen a forced close in years. That said, my daughter recently went from the iPhone 4 to a 5S and is very happy. My wife went with a Nexus 5 and it has the most spectacular screen I've ever seen. 1920X1080. She reads books on her Nexus 5 that she has trouble reading on her Kindle. iPhones are kind of dinky by comarison.

Apple has done the unthinkable: the iPhone 5s with iOS 7 is making me consider the Android platform for my next smartphone. My iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 rarely crashed, and my 5 was excellent as a daily device. The AT&T mobile plan sucked, which is why I ended up switching to Virgin Mobile and the iPhone 5s.

I'm saving over $15 per month which helps offset the price of the 64 GB model I now need to hold all my music and other media. 32 GB wasn't enough.

But this thing has been subject to Springboard crashes, apps that pause and then disappear back to the home screen, and sometimes I wake the phone up with the fingerprint sensor, and it will crash back to the locked state after the white Apple boot screen. Very un-Applely!

Edit: Ha! I was going to post some Crash Data, but the SatGuys app crashed while I was trying to add it! The NSA has nothing on these guys!

Last edited:
Isn't the nexus 5 coming to Verizon ? I've been debating on weather to switch back.

I'm using both. iPhone 5 as my personal and samsung galaxy note for work. Both on the same network. iPhone works flawlesly while note goes offline, crashes and needs to be restarted at least couple times a day.

I'm using both. iPhone 5 as my personal and samsung galaxy note for work. Both on the same network. iPhone works flawlesly while note goes offline, crashes and needs to be restarted at least couple times a day.

That's why I've been holding back on switching back is the daily crashes. I know someone that has a galaxy s4 and they've said the phone has worked fantastic. Maybe it depends on the phone?

If I'm going from an iPhone 5s to android is it better to hold out for the galaxy s5 instead of the 4?

I won't be upgrading to the fall but by then the s6 will be in talks of coming out.

One thing about phones: new ones will always be coming out. Of you're constantly waiting for the new model you'll never upgrade because as soon as it's released its successor has already been announced or rumored.

I have a iPhone 5 for personal and Note 3 for work. My Note 3 doesn't have the force close issues. When it comes phones I need a lot of battery. So with the iPhone 5 and my previous ones(4 & 4S) I always got a Mophie Juice Pack. Now something never before with iPhone you will be able to get extended memory with a Mophie Juice Pack. Now they are $149 for 16GB and $179 for 32GB. These have a full 100% additional battery and plus storage.

Personally I would do the Note 3 over S4 or even S5. I think the screen in my Note is better than the Nexus 5, but that's me.

I've been using the iPhone for 4 years now. I will admit I do miss android in a way. I have an iMac but the biggest gripe I have is in order to get more storage for the iPhone it costs more than being able to have expandable memory which the iPhone doesn't have.
The biggest reason why I left android is forced closed errors. I got them everyday and I decided enough was enough. With that being said convince me why I should switch back to android.

It's been four years since you tried Android. Android has come a long way since then. It is nothing like it once was. You need to try it again . I think you will be pleasantly surprised . I have the Verizon LG G2 and I love it. Smooth , fast , and never hesitates. Beautiful screen , 13MP Camera that takes great pictures . Comes with 32GB storage and is tapered to fit comfortably in your hand. It has a 5.2 inch display which is not too big at all because of its design Love the "Knock On" feature and love the physical buttons on the back. Has almost no side bezels due to putting the physical buttons on the back . It doesn't have an SD card slot , but that's okay with me , as I never use an SD card anyway . I prefer to get a phone that comes with either 32 or 64 GB on board . It doesn't have a removable battery , but that's okay too. If you prefer these features just get one that has these. Android today is a whole "other" beast from 4 years ago or even two years ago. There are all kinds of great Android phones out there. I just prefer the LG Brand .

That's why I've been holding back on switching back is the daily crashes. I know someone that has a galaxy s4 and they've said the phone has worked fantastic. Maybe it depends on the phone?

My Verizon LG G2 has never crashed and I have had it for almost 5 months.

I sometimes think that we the users have lost the plot. I have a galaxy S4 and herself has an iphone 5 and at the end of the day they are both excellent at what they essentially are - phones. All those bolt on goodies that the manufacturers add to make us buy are just compromised gadgets that give us a convenient tool with lesser qualities. If you want a camera buy a good resolution one, if you want a tablet buy one with a decent size screen, if you want a GPS get a decent accurate one, as for messaging, use the phone and speak.
I think samsung pc software is far from satisfactory and itunes software far too large and slow to upgrade and so often.
I've known both to crash, android maybe more often so I guess there is little to choose between them other than price.
I do wish the driver that rear ended me while texting ouight to be made to go back to a rotary dial model!

iOS 7.1 is a huge improvement in reliability on my iPhone 5s. The SatelliteGuys app still crashes, but not as often. More importantly, the Springboard Launcher is much more stable. I haven't had a Springboard crash since updating.

Only thing that kept me from an iphone is I wanted the 6 w 64Gb with rumored improvements. But my phone failed and needed replacement now. I bought the Galaxy s5 and am very happy with it, especially how well it works with my smartwatch 2 and pairing in the car. The BT is very powerful and works all over the house distance. Only thing I don't like so far is it's size to carry around, however its a conundrum since I like having the larger size when I use it for web pages. I put a 64GB SD card in it and have a belt case that holds a spare battery too. Battery lasts about 2 days, standby and use with wifi turned on.

Glad your 7.1 iOS is working, I may update my wife's 5 soon.

I generally agree with the comments about Android coming a long way since a few years ago. Things really changed with 4.0 ICS. It really is not much like older 2.2/2.3 on the front or back. I'm an Android Guru but I still have a 2.2 LG phone. Other than lacking in power and memory it still does what I use it for: calls, texts and turning into 3G hotspot in case my net ever goes down. The only reason I am not running a 4+ Android phone is that I don't use the phone enough to care to invest in one.

Apple has a major advantage/disadvantage over Android: Apple strictly controls things. This can mean that they can put out a consistent product with certain standards and specifications. This can mean less problems. Or at least that you are going to have the same problems and limitations with any given level of ICrap. With Android it is open so a dozen different manufacturers make the phone hardware and 100 different companies slap their name on it and do their own Android builds. The options within the hardware, software builds and stability could vary greatly with no real enforced standards.

Now to the major disadvantage of this for Apple: there is no real innovation or range. You have one (basically) piece of hardware. One locked down OS which is very limited. A limited set of Apps that are only available if Apple likes them and says they are available. Limited ability to customize and choose. Basically it is a cookie cutter sheep product one size fits all, as long as you are the size Apple wants and you have a bunch of coin to shell out. You can literally buy 3 or 4 good Android phones, find one that does what you want and still have saved money over Apple. You can find one with the memory or processing power you want or go totally budget and still find a decent phone and software build. No special overpriced cables or accessories. No real limits on software developers. No limits if you want to root (jailbreak) a Droid and make it exactly the way you want.

Maybe it is just me but when it comes down to my personal devices I like to tear them apart and make them how I want. That totally eliminates Apple anything for me. For guys with Apple I'd recommend trying some Droid products. Do research first since as mentioned there is a lot a variance in quality of hardware and software. Worst case with an Android device you won't need a second mortgage or be out tons of money if you don't like it.

I have an iPhone and a Galaxy S4.

As much as I try to love Android, the Apple Platform is just better. It is polished and it works when you need it. A LOT of stuff in the Google Play store is CRAP as there are no controls in place and anyone can make an app and have it online the same day.

Some Android phones are as locked down as much as iPhones, but instead of Jailbreaking your Android you have to Root them which is the same as Jailbreaking and iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)