Cooling help for Denon 1909

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Now that I have succesfully shut my Denon down with heat during a movie (The Fast and the Furious Blu-ray), I guess I need to look at some air movement.

Rcvr is in a enclosed center, and the cubby hole allows for about 2"'s on each side, and 3-4 above (has shelf above it with BD35 and Im sure the BD35 doesnt like the heat either). Back of hole has a slit for cabling thats about 2" high and 8" long.

Should I:

1) Get a 120v cooling fan and fire it down into the rcvr

2) Get a 120v fan and blow air out of the back of the cubby hole

3) Another idea.....

Kinda like this guy

yhst-24067115789173_2063_58544508

Comcool Cooling Stand Kit with Dual 120mm Fans

Yeah, it looks nice and would match the 1909's black. Those two large fans should pull a nice amount of air in thru the sides and up out of the top.

I bet you'd be just fine getting a small fan to suck air out of the back of the cabinet.

Are you sure it's the cabinet making it run hot, and not a wild, single strand of speaker wire, touching something it shouldn't? That is what usually causes a receiver to run hot and shut down, in "protection" mode. I'd double check all the speaker connections, on both ends, just to make sure.
Good luck!

If there was something touching, would it not shutdown all the time?

It shutdown when i replaced a loud scene I wanted to hear really loud (0db volume). As soon as the bass hit, the rcvr tripped.

I have mine in the same situation.. and i have not had a problem the air inside does not even get that hot. may be a problem. i keep my house at about 76 here in Vegas.

But i was thinking like you.. just put a small pc fan or 120v fan sucking air out the back and you will be golden.

The air does not get too hot, but the top of the rcvr (metal does).

I can blast at -10db's all day, and its LOUD. When I pushed that 0db reference is when it crapped out. My normal tv viewing is -20 or so.

OK, IMHO a lapytop cooler is going to move air around inside the enclosure, but it will do little to replace hot air with cooler air. If the problem is local to the receiver, this may be sufficient, but the overall temps will rise some in the cabinet unless you can get that air to circulate.

I don't know which way those fans blow, but they need to be sucking up from the receiver. Otherwise you are fighting the natural convection cooling. Heat wants to rise, and you need to encourage that.

I have found that sucking air is more efficient than blowing it. Either way, you need to find ways of channeling airflow. Air, like electricity and water is going to take the path of least resistance. If you just set a fan on the back of the rack, most of the air will just bounce off the back of the receiver and back out around the fan. You will have the best effect by enclosing the back at least on the receiver shelf area and setting up a 120V fan to suck air out the back. That way air come in the front, flow through the unit and out the back.

The back doesn't have to be fancy. Experiment with some cardboard or foam board.
Duct tape works well for sealing air spaces (why do you think they call it that?) I'll bet even a small fan will have a dramatic effect.

(didn't we have this same discussion 6 months ago?)

Yeah, now that you mention. It was because my Onkyo was so hot last year.

Once change is I have the BD35 now sitting over the rcvr instead of over the dvr (did have both a tivo and dish dvr a few months back. This has really restricted the space over the denon, which is really only about 3 inches between it and the shelf. I do know the BD35 also puts off a lot of heat on the bottom too.

Im gonna move the BD35 back over to the top of the dish dvr, and remove the shelf above the 1909. This will give it about 8 inches above, and they may help out.

This is the only time it has ever shut off, so its not a real issue, but I figure itd be best to reduce the heat to help the life of the equipment.

The $60 HT dual fan rest on top of the rcvr and pulls air up and out. I'll add this if I cant reduce the heat enough with my current idea.

I bet your move of the BD35 from the top of the Denon is going to have a huge impact. The I have the 3808 not the 1909, but the design is similar and I know these things are meant to breathe on the top. I'd try to run it hard a couple times before you go to the trouble of adding a fan. My guess is you'll find out that it is just fine without the fan once you move the BD35.

Yeah, that is how it originally was.

This weekend we re-arranged the living room and put the tv stand centered in a corner for better tv viewing, since Coll Fbal is almost here. I took the time to move the BD35 over to the top of the 722k, and then removed the shelf above the 1909. The 1909 sits in the bottom, and now has airspace 1.5 times its height above it, puse the slightly open back.

Should be cooler.

If there was something touching, would it not shutdown all the time?

It shutdown when i replaced a loud scene I wanted to hear really loud (0db volume). As soon as the bass hit, the rcvr tripped.
No. Not necessarily. It mainly happens at loud volumes.............
May not happen at all at lower volumes.

elway -
Your avatar is freaking me out!!!!

Hopefully you got the heat issue worked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)