Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Iceberg,

I have been using my Coolsat 5000 for a long time now (November 2005), but I only recently read your review. Absolutely everything you stated is exactly as I have found. This receiver works like a champ!

I actually have two 5K's in my entertainment center. One I use to record games and shows and the other I use to browse satellites while the other is recording.

I did learn something unknown to me through the discussion after your review. This was using "DETAIL" setting for the symbol rate when blind scanning. My brother and I have been playing around with scanning for feeds for a long time and we sometimes miss a channel or two that we know are there. We will try the S/R detail setting and see if it improves our scanning results. Thanks!

There is one question that I have for you, specifically. In your review of the 5K, you mentioned: "I learned with the 4000, there was a screen that you could turn off the “ask password”.

You were going to address this later, but you never did. Can you elaborate on that for me? The only way I know of to reduce the password prompts is the first three options in the security menu (receiver, install and channel lock set to OFF).

Is there something beyond this for eliminating the password prompt?

Radar

Iceberg,

I tried your suggestion from your Coolsat 5000 review discussion about using "DETAIL" for the symbol rate when blind scanning. It worked! It not only worked, it worked well!

Two other observations during this same process... I noticed that it required more time to perform the blind scan with the S/R set to DETAIL, but the BEACON SPEED was quick. You probably don't know what I mean by that because I just made up the terminology myself. What I am referring to is the graphics on the right hand side of the screen which shows the satellite and the ground station and the "beacon" eminating from the satellite.

It seems to me that when the beacon pulses quickly, it is a good sign and you have a valid setup for the parameters. Channels will be scanned in more properly. If that beacon pulses slowly, there is something wrong and inaccurate in the setup and the receiver is being required to do some background work or something.

I know that sounds corny, but I guarantee that there is something valid in what I say. I have observed this for four years and I am certain that it indicates something. What that "something" truly is, I don't know. I can only say that a quick beacon is a positive sign.

Utilizing the "DETAIL" mode for the Symbol Rate seems to make a big difference!

Radar

Last edited:
I know there is a way to bypass the password on most of the screens but I'm not home to check

Lemme check tonight

I know there is a way to bypass the password on most of the screens but I'm not home to check

Lemme check tonight

Menu > System Setting > Security Setting !
All your options are in this sub-menu .
:)

sounds right ;)

I know the channel edit is the only one that you cant turn off password

OK,

I am well familiar with those setup pages and options. I thought that there might be another hidden page somewhere. Something like the diagnostic page that I have used. I access this with the procedure below:

While in STANDBY MODE, Press the channel UP button on the front of the STB and hold, then press the power button on the front of STB and hold until the diagnostic menu appears, then release the power button and then release the channel up button.

OR

While fully powered up, Press the power button on the front of the STB and hold, then press the channel UP button on the front of the STB and hold until the diagnostic menu appears, then release the power button, then release the channel up button.

Radar

Iceberg,

I have been using my Coolsat 5000 for a long time now (November 2005), but I only recently read your review. Absolutely everything you stated is exactly as I have found. This receiver works like a champ!
that review was done late 05...dang has it been 3+ years already?
Time flies when you having fun :)

I actually have two 5K's in my entertainment center. One I use to record games and shows and the other I use to browse satellites while the other is recording.
got two of them myself. One is the main unit and the 2nd one is in the computer room

that review was done late 05...dang has it been 3+ years already?
Time flies when you having fun :)

got two of them myself. One is the main unit and the 2nd one is in the computer room

Time does fly! it seems like it was just last fall that I began experimenting with the 5K. Now it has been 3+ years! WOW.

My Coolsat receivers have been turned on for more than three years! Never turned them off! And they are still running great! No repairs, no down time (except when the farmer's son hit the electric pole with the tractor and shut the power off!)

The Coolsat 5000 is really tops with me!

Radar

SCORE! thanks, I got so tired of the password "nag"

Hmmmmm. I must be missing something. I navigate to the above sub menu page and see that I can change the password but nothing that will allow skipping it. :confused:

Hmmmmm. I must be missing something. I navigate to the above sub menu page and see that I can change the password but nothing that will allow skipping it. :confused:

MJac,

I think the only thing you can do is turn OFF the RECEIVER LOCK, INSTALL LOCK and the CHANNEL LOCK. There are some other menus involved here on the SECURITY screen, but I don't use them.

RADAR

turn the first four menu items to off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts