Cord cutters and unbundling

Scalar Media Partners, a Manhattan consulting firm, estimates that the price would be $30 a month. “That’s what ESPN would need to get back to the current positive cash flow that supports all the rights fees they’re paying, and the dividends they pay to [parent companies] Disney and Hearst,” says Frank Hawkins, a founding partner of Scalar.

I'm not sure that the $30 figure includes more than ESPN. I do know that for $30 Charlie/DISH upcoming IPTV service is said to include ESPN.

The article hints that would be the price for espn suite of channels alone.

I'm a sports fan who cut the cord and I definitely wouldn't pay $30 for ESPN. My local RSN would be much more useful to me. During baseball season I watch 5 to 6 Tigers games per week on Fox Sports Detroit thanks to MLB.tv. Even when I had Dish I only watched games on ESPN about once every week or two.

I have WatchESPN access thanks to a friend. In the year I've had it I've probably used it less than 20 times. I used it for a couple Sunday night baseball games and a couple Monday Night and college football games. Most of the big football games are available OTA though.

Reactions: Mr Tony
One very interesting question for sports fans is would you pay $30/per month for the suite of espn channels?
no way
FS North yes since they have the local teams (but not $30). ESPN I can watch via a roku. ESPN3 games are available via my internet. The watch ESPN stuff I just use someone's Dish credentials but that was like for a couple football games.

One very interesting question for sports fans is would you pay $30/per month for the suite of espn channels?
Not a chance. I would pay for my local RSN to gets Cubs and Bulls games, but I can live without ESPN. In fact, I would be perfectly fine with a locals + RSN option, eliminating all other cable networks altogether.

Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)