Crafty way to see ppv movies for less $$

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Last night I noticed my wife going through the ppv's in the guide and then adding the same movie titles to our netflix que with the laptop. I asked how long she'd been doing that & she said for a few weeks now. I thought it was a really cool way to figure out new movies to watch with netflix & to protest the high price of ppv. After that I did a little searching of my own, about 8 titles or so and found most was available or soon to be released. :up to my better non techie half.

Last night I noticed my wife going through the ppv's in the guide and then adding the same movie titles to our netflix que with the laptop. I asked how long she'd been doing that & she said for a few weeks now. I thought it was a really cool way to figure out new movies to watch with netflix & to protest the high price of ppv. After that I did a little searching of my own, about 8 titles or so and found most was available or soon to be released. :up to my better non techie half.

I did the same when I had Dish and now with Directv. For some reason, it's hard for me to find new titles in Netflix.

I did the same when I had Dish and now with Directv. For some reason, it's hard for me to find new titles in Netflix.
That could be because of some of the studio's delay requirement from Sale date to rental release.

That's a pretty good idea. My netflix que is about empty because I can't think of what to put into it.

I do this too. I also keep a channel list of the premium and ppv channels to go through just for this purpose. I just upgraded my Netflix account to 3 movies, that is the cost of HBO:)

PPV Cost

My wife also got us NetFlix. We get two movies at a time and watch them at our leisure with no required date to return them. My wife and daughter also stream movies from NetFlix on their laptops. My wife does not like the structure that Dish has created for renting movies and not being able to keep them on the DVR. We got a promo from Dish last night pushing their movies on demand. Dish was pushing the point that they have the movies long before NetFlix. We are in no rush to watch these movies. For us Dish cannot compete with NetFlix for the cost of watching movies.

very true and netflix adds the showtime series relatively fast. I had the TIVOhd + netflix and it was great, but I have since come crawling back to dish.

Went with the 250. We are set with that & netflix. Cheaper than getting the everything pack.

I go to the Yahoo movies DVD site every week or so and check out what's new because I agree new movies are hard to find on the Netflix site. I recently got the network adapter cable for my Wii and stream a lot of old stuff directly to my TV through Netflix. It's great. Can't believe anyone actually pays for PPV.

I think Netflix does that on purpose to reduce demand on the New Releases. Go into the main page and scroll though the titles on the new release tab right now for say . . . "The Book of Eli". You won't find it. However it will turn up if you search for it.

I usually just do a Google search for dvd releases, but that's not a bad idea to search the DISH PPV lineup. It may take a month or two before those titles show up on Netflix though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to find new movies on Netflix. Even though they may show in a month or so, once you get them in the queue, the newesst movies always show up as "Very Long Wait" or "Long Wait". I've had Legion and The Book of Eli in my queue for several months. I suppose its because I want the Blu-ray version. And don't get me started on the times the streaming service stops and pauses for 10 minutes, then starts for 90 seconds and pauses for 10 more minutes, and so on and so forth. (I have 10 mbps download service so I know that shouldn't be the problem.)

I really like Netflix, but IME I'm not ready to rely on them fulltime.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to find new movies on Netflix. Even though they may show in a month or so, once you get them in the queue, the newesst movies always show up as "Very Long Wait" or "Long Wait". I've had Legion and The Book of Eli in my queue for several months. I suppose its because I want the Blu-ray version. And don't get me started on the times the streaming service stops and pauses for 10 minutes, then starts for 90 seconds and pauses for 10 more minutes, and so on and so forth. (I have 10 mbps download service so I know that shouldn't be the problem.)

I really like Netflix, but IME I'm not ready to rely on them fulltime.
That's why I left. They need to catch up on the BD side of things. The streaming problem I would think is your internet speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts