CRT is dead- again

I wonder if some of these newer tv technologies are like the cd/dvd? The cd/dvd is cheaper to make but the vhs vcr tape/cassette was still cheaper to buy for a good while but finally the cd/dvd dropped in price a bit and is now a bit cheaper than what the cassette/vhs vcr tape was.

I think you're right. I know they have huge factory capital costs to pay for, but the actual fabrication is so much cheaper, and getting ever cheaper all the time.

Store I was in a few days ago had a sign "all VHS tapes $9.99." I guess they've hung on longer than expected, and are soon to go the way of the 8 track. Not too many VHS recorders for sale today, certainly none in the near future, since they must have ATSC tuners if they have NTSC tuners. I haven't heard of a single manufacturer spending the bucks to incorporate digital tuners into VHS decks.

There are VCRs with ATSC tuners on the market now. I have seen them anda google search shows you several. i would guess that they will live on in combo units with DVD recorders.

The only ones I see are D-VHS units, or are built in with DVD and/or TV.

Do you know of any plain vanilla VHS recorder with a built in ATSC tuner?

Last edited:
CRT's Dying Breed

I just purchased a Sony 36 inch and no matter where you crash you can get a great view.Even crashing out in the floor.At 10 feet away the picture from the dish or digital cable is more than worth the 800$ sale price.DVD's look really great with the Y,Pb,Pr hooked up.Also got the last 13 inch and for a bedroom set up it's great.I read in one forum that Sony will for the time being continue to manufacture at least one model of the 20,24,32,and 36 inch crt models.overtimeman

Is there any way to Record streaming Audio off of Surfer Network?

The Woes of IPTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts