current dishnetwork and directv offers

Buy, you folks with Comcast are lucky. Here, it's just Insight, and their packages are outrageously expensive and HD offerings are absolutely dismal. Putrid.

Looks like my only option is E* (I still have an 811 lying around from when I was a customer).

Bleagh.

D* = DirecTV and E* = Echostar (Dishnetwork's parent) and it is generally regarded that we shouldn't post their full names due to some threat of copyright infringement. So my post might get edited before you read this.

I would never say E* is one's ONLY choice, I have had both and D* offers more overall and for only a few dollars more/mo. It is the ONLY way to get the NFL Sunday Ticket. They are also about to add a few more satellites, and although the common thought is that the majority of the channels will be HD local affiliates, my guess is there will be 3 -5 new national HD and SD offerings as well. I think I read that two of the new satellites are to be up within 60 days if all goes well.

New customer offers directly from D* can always be found HERE and their current HD offer is HERE. You might find a few other retailers with slightly different details, but pretty much the same. When the NFL season get close around late July and August, the real great deals pop up.

Former customers (I think as long as you are not more than 1 year removed from your past subscription) you can get a super deal by calling them directly, but that multi-room/receiver and install deal is standard issue for all new customers right now.

Talked to Dish yesterday and since I still had a account with them I could only upgrade one box. I need HD in one room and SD in 2 others. After calling 3 times and talking to 3 different CSR, the offers differed slighty, The best it would cost me was 428.98 for a 921 and 2 301s plus programming. I then called Comcast and they offered free install with HD in one room, digital cable in a second and regular cable in a third. I asked for dish buy back and got a discount. Since I already have broadband with them I got another discount so the total for three rooms with Platinum service, HD and DVR in one room, and broadband is 115.00 a month for the first 16 months and 154.00 after. I am already paying 51.00 a month just for the broadband. I just hope the PQ is watchable since I have been spoiled with 5months of Voom. I am going to miss Voom

charper1 said:
D* = DirecTV and E* = Echostar (Dishnetwork's parent) and it is generally regarded that we shouldn't post their full names due to some threat of copyright infringement. So my post might get edited before you read this.

This is BS, I think. Somebody started sometimes this weird fashion and others followed it.

There's no such thing like this in any other industry forum including movie forums, broadcast or editing forums, nothing.
Just think a little bit: how could be copyright infringement when you use a company's PUBLICLY USED name? This is insane - whoever said this, he lacks any legal or even sane mind...

I agree and really have no 100% corect answer. I think the original thought was that the net and user boards are considered a form of publishing, so any use their names without written consent can be considered illegal. Rather than fight or risk being sued, both costing major $$$, why not just make nicknames and not sweat it? It really is no big deal. Maybe a board admin can clear up why they prefer the nickname use.

I always just assumed the abbrieviations was someone's keyboard shorthand to save a few keystrokes, but that sounds a lot less ominous!

CDH.

My E* deal today

Today I was able to get right from E*, 2 811's and a 942 for $299. before various rebates. $250 was for the upgrade to the DVR. I have 3 HD sets but if I was willing to go with HD on 2 boxes and SD on the 3rd, cost would have been $49 before rebate. $0 after rebates. Hope I like it. Monthly, America's Everything with free HD programs for 6 months: $75.xx per month plus tax. Earliest install was 4/28. Just in time for the Voom disappearance! ;)

T2k said:
This is BS, I think. This is insane - whoever said this, he lacks any legal or even sane mind...

You are correct. The real reason was to create a shorthand to save typing.

Sazkin said:
I got signed up for Dish 2 days back too. Dish 811 HD receiver. No installation fee, activation fee credited to you. If you take the 1 year commitment, the hardware equipment protection is free, so if anything breaks down or you need to move, you don't need to worry.
Imagine on the 1st of May, hello, this is E* and we would like to make you an offer to continue your service.

After a serious weekend involving a chainsaw (and an in hindsight hilarious launch into the stratoshpere of my rotund self by a tree branch knocking over my ladder) I can now see (I THINK) the D* and E* birds. So I am paying close attention now to the deals, including a very attractive offer letter I just got from Dish. My problem is of course that I'm worried about the quality of Dish's PVR. I've heard nothing but nightmares about the 921, and their SD solution doesn't exactly look promising. Plus of course they seem to have far less HD, and far less interest in adding more.

P.S. Always calculate which direction that very LARGE tree limb is going to roll when you cut it off the tree. It flipped over, smacked my ladder, and all I had time to think was "Oh sh*t, I hope the chainsaw doesn't hit me in the head" as I flew through the air like a wounded whale. Thankfully lots of padding cushioned my fall, leaving me merely bruised and bemused.

My E* Deal

:) I got a 942 and 811 from E* for $299 minus $50 credit off 1st months bill after letting them know that I was shopping around between them and D*. I told them that I was switching from Voom and they said they would give me the 811 at no charge so I could have HD in both rooms!

OK, I finally get from Dish Network what I wanted.
I am an existing customer, who put Dish account on hold for $5.00/month fee back in July 2004. (Actually because of Club Dish credit $5.00/month, I paid only $0.25/month in taxes. That was the main reason I did not cancel).
I called three or four times tring to get HD DVR 942 and HD811 receivers.
Today I asked to switch to retention department, told the story published on this forum by someone who cancelled Dish account and get 942 as former customer deal.
That was they suggested and I ageed to:
1. Cancel existing account.
2. Get former customer deal: HD DVR 942 for $250, HD 811.
3. Selected AEP + HD pack.
4. Promos: 3 month discount of AEP for the price of Top60 pack - $42.xx*3 = $124. HD pack free for 6 month: 6*$9.99 = $59.94. Total: $183.94.
That means I get 942 for $70.

This is a very good deal.
So E* existing customers can actually get a decent deal from Dish Network.
Good luck :)

jbcheshire said:
I hope you got them to send this to you in writing...
I know I would before I cancel anything...

We did cancel and setup of new account and installation as we speak on the phone. 10 mins. ;)

Question: For E and HD as I understand it, the current Voom Dish is almost in position. They just have to switch to oval for 2nd sat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts