Current update on 3ABN, Spirit & GEB

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Here are the most current items in regards to Sky Angel channels 9706 (Spirit), 9710 (3ABN) and 9715 (GEB)

Dated 4/20 2:00 CDT

The channels right now are not on Sky Angel. There are channels assigned (they say off air) but there is no programming being sent to those channels. There is an issue right now from the uplink (Echostar gets the channel and uplinks it to their satellite which Sky Angel uses).

What we are assuming (and this is all assumption) is that there is a technical glitch in the uplink. With digital, they have to send “packets” of info up for each channel. There are “PIDS” which deciphers the audio & video. This is standard on digital channels. Right now the uplink is not communicating with the satellite for the PIDS for those 3 stations. It is basically reading 0000 for the PIDS (instead of other numbers). So that is why they are not working.

Why can’t they move the channels to another spot? Reason being is there are only 2 transponders for Sky Angel and they are cramming channels on there right now. If they move these 3 to the other transponder, they would have to remove 3 channels. Audio channels take up less space so they couldn’t just remove an audio channel. It takes about 6-8 audio channels to equal the bandwidth of one video channel.

Once they get it to acknowledge other numbers (and not just zeros) then the channels will be able to get uplinked back up.

There is a rumor (that’s all it is right now) that Sky Angel does not want to carry 3ABN.
Below is an excerpt from an e-mail a member received

JUST RELEASED ANNOUNCED BY 3ABN DIRECTOR OF BROADCASTING-MOSES PRIMO
after a satellite technical problem was resolved. sky angel decided NOT to restore
the 3abn channel on their package of channels. we encourge everyone to let
skyangel know that you want 3abn back on. they are not even answering the 888
number but if you call, use this number- 239-403-9130
and wait for the operator ,you may voice your opinion or you may write to the
follow address
sky angel, p.o.box 7609, naples fl 34101

Sky Angel’s website still says they are working with Dish to resolve the issues. As for the above, if 3ABN says the problem was resolved, then how come the other 2 channels aren’t back? (just my .02)

So right now this is the newest update. There were a couple posts on how to get 3ABN via a free to air system. That is how I see 3ABN and a few other religious type channels
Here are a couple posts including a website.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=543659&postcount=28
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=543685&postcount=30

When more becomes available we will post :D

Sky Angel Satellite Update
Special Notice: 3ABN announces the Ten Commandments Weekend events will go forward as planned, despite the interruption of Sky Angel service.

Sky Angel does not have a channel available for 3ABN at this time. Please join us in prayer that this problem is resolved soon and 3ABN channel may be restored to the package of TV channels.

Please don’t call them or us until we make any further announcements Thank you

If 3ABN is carrying some weekend specials, why couldn't SA* pre-empt CTN on Angel 2 and run the specials? A2/CTN doesn't appear to be running anything outside of their normal programming at the moment.

SkyAngel does not have control of the uplink, they are basically at the mercy of Echostar. I talked with them today and they want the channels back up as fast as you do.

Scott Greczkowski said:
SkyAngel does not have control of the uplink, they are basically at the mercy of Echostar. I talked with them today and they want the channels back up as fast as you do.

I understand that Scott, but skyangel has also NOT been forthcoming with any info except "these channels are gone and we dont know if they will ever be back" that's what really irritates me.

To be honest I dont think they are getting any information themselves.

I would love to see SkyAngel get their own uplink.

Supposedly they are building an uplink in Florida. I would be interested to hear how that is coming along. IMO the biggest benefit will be doing their own authorizations, instead of them sending a list to E*.

Scott Greczkowski said:
To be honest I dont think they are getting any information themselves.

I would love to see SkyAngel get their own uplink.

Honestly I wouldnt be suprised, this is beginning to sound like the case that E3 had a problem with that transponder 32 (people had mentioned on that it was dead before coming back) or a problem uplinking to it and it affected skyangel naturally, E* dropped a few channels, maybe channels with skyangels premission etc, skyangel has now a PR handle on their hands not being able to say what is wrong, plus customers mad their not getting their 3 channels that are missing...

skyangel wants to be careful on what their saying in hopes that if there is truely an issue with that transponder that E* might be kind and put those 3 channels elsewhere, and if I was in skyangels shoes right now i guess I can see where I'd want to stay quiet as possible not to upset Dish as we know they have not been best of friends.

I guess there is a lot of things we can speculate on, hopefully we'll all the channels back soon or some resolution to this.

Is there a chance these channels are going to be replaced with other channels? Was anyone warned or told when the secular channels were added last year? I was too new a subcriber when we started receiving FNC, Hallmark, HMC, and HGTV. All I knew was I was receiving all Christian channels and a month or two later bam, bam, bam... I was thinking..."Oh, no, what have I done? I wanted away from secular and here they've followed me." I'm sorta kidding 'cuz I really do enjoy SA. I'm just afraid they are going the other direction. Kinda like Disney did when Walt's son took over. SCARY thought...

I doubt SA* would dump all three of these channels without even doing a survey first, and they have not done one lately to my knowledge.

Particularly Spirit, which I think is a relatively popular channel. Obviously (judging by this board) 3ABN has quite the fan base as well. From the looks of things though, those who prefer more Adventist programming might want to look into FTA.

SA needs to get rid of that good samaritan channel, 9416 and put 3abn back on in that spot. 9416 doesn't do anything, but show pictures. That's all I've seen on it for the past year or so. You can show pictures on a website. What a waste of satellite space and bandwidth, not to mention electricity.

~ Kountzer ~

Kountzer said:
SA needs to get rid of that good samaritan channel, 9416 and put 3abn back on in that spot. 9416 doesn't do anything, but show pictures. That's all I've seen on it for the past year or so. You can show pictures on a website. What a waste of satellite space and bandwidth, not to mention electricity.

~ Kountzer ~

Good Smaritan is NOT a Skyangel Channel, that would be a Dish Network Channel "Public Interest" channel on 61.5

mattb, great minds think alike! :D

For what it's worth, 9416, GSN, Good Samaritan Network, is a public interest channel provided through Echostar, not Sky Angel. 9416, while it is on the same satellite as SA*, doesn't have anything to do with SA*.

Sky Angel only controls channels in the 9700 range. Anything in the 9400s is an Echostar-provided Public Interest channel.

And, while they do devote a ridiculous amount of time to their slide show, GSN does carry distance learning programs for their staff on a regular basis. While I personally think this isn't the best use of a public interest channel, no satellite provider is allowed to discriminate based on content as long as the channel provider is a qualifying entity and makes its payments on time. So until GSN gives it up, I think Echostar and its subscribers are stuck with it.

A week ago, I knew nothing about FTA, but the disappearance of 3ABN has caused me to do a lil research and reading. Monday I will be ordering an FTA system. Obviously, other benefits than just receiving 3ABN, but that has been the trigger.

jegrant said:
mattb, great minds think alike! :D

For what it's worth, 9416, GSN, Good Samaritan Network, is a public interest channel provided through Echostar, not Sky Angel. 9416, while it is on the same satellite as SA*, doesn't have anything to do with SA*.

Sky Angel only controls channels in the 9700 range. Anything in the 9400s is an Echostar-provided Public Interest channel.

And, while they do devote a ridiculous amount of time to their slide show, GSN does carry distance learning programs for their staff on a regular basis. While I personally think this isn't the best use of a public interest channel, no satellite provider is allowed to discriminate based on content as long as the channel provider is a qualifying entity and makes its payments on time. So until GSN gives it up, I think Echostar and its subscribers are stuck with it.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I hit 'enter' somebody was going to come back with a reply like that. I have 61.5 and dish 500 sats. joined by a 21 sw switch. I can't tell exactly which channels belong to which. There have been occasions when I only had SA working, and I was still able to get 9416, so I assumed that channel came with the SA line up. My bad.

DB, aka ~ Kountzer ~

N4ST :welcome to the forum.
There are benefits to FTA but remember, it's a hobby, feeds come and go and they may or may not encrypt or even relocate.
As discussed in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=63807 Me and Iceberg discussed alternatives to SA. You can use a single motorized dish to go between the IA 5 and AMC 4, install two dishes and combine them or in mine and Iceberg's case, take a StarChoice dish and line up both satellites on one dish. As I mentioned, I have seen a promo for that dish on GloryStar or somethiing like that before. GS may be able to give you info on that. It is fun to do and this site is a great tool for learning FTA, enjoy. :)

Is there any update on 3ABN, Spirit, & GEB, channels? Shouldn't Sky Angel know what's going on with their own channels?

Mellow
I havent heard anything. What is frustrating is
-Sky Angel has NO updates on their site (I cant even find the old page telling you about the issue)
-They still are advertising these 3 channels in their package