Currently have HR20 and 3 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ehamilton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Do you know if D* will send me the new 5 LNB dish to install myself or do they have to do it?

Also, will the RSN I receive be the one listed on address or the one that is spotbeamed from the dish?

Thanks for the help . . .

They will want to install it. You could always buy your own and install it if you know how.

The RSN you get is based on your service address.

Well, you could try to install the 5 LNB on your own, but I highly recommend having an installer out to set it up.

With the 5 LNB dishes "close" is not good enough, they must be dead-on. There is a procedure for "peaking" the dish that the installers follow.

Well, you could try to install the 5 LNB on your own, but I highly recommend having an installer out to set it up.

With the 5 LNB dishes "close" is not good enough, they must be dead-on. There is a procedure for "peaking" the dish that the installers follow.

Correct. You might do OK with the Ku stuff on 101/110/119 but the Ka band for 99/103 has a very sharp roll off if it's not aligned right on the money. Also make sure whomever does it that they also install monopole(s) to help support the dish so the wind doesn't knock it out of alignment.

Correct. You might do OK with the Ku stuff on 101/110/119 but the Ka band for 99/103 has a very sharp roll off if it's not aligned right on the money. Also make sure whomever does it that they also install monopole(s) to help support the dish so the wind doesn't knock it out of alignment.

The monopoles are only for regular mounts, not pole mounts. Just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks for the help, do you know anywhere that I can get the 5LNB dish? What is its official name, by the way?

What are the monopoles?

Thanks again guys for all the help . . .

Thanks for the help, do you know anywhere that I can get the 5LNB dish? What is its official name, by the way?

What are the monopoles?

Thanks again guys for all the help . . .

AT-9 or AU-9 (Slimline) 5 LNB dish
The monopoles are braces to support the dish in the wind and bad weather to keep it adjusted properly.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Great! What is the difference between the AT-9 and AU-9? Is there a better (easier) one to install? Thanks for the help . . .

Great! What is the difference between the AT-9 and AU-9? Is there a better (easier) one to install? Thanks for the help . . .

The AT-9 is the original 5 LNB dish, the AU-9 is the Slimline model, that is slighly smaller, but not enough in my opinion to make a difference, One big difference is the slimline has all the lnb's in a moulded plastic one piece connection.

Are you installing it your self ?
Why not let them deal with it, it's normally free when you upgrade.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo . . . Yes, I will be installing myself.

Last question, are the local channels that I will receive based on a spot beam or based on my billing address?

Thanks for all the help . . .

Thanks Jimbo . . . Yes, I will be installing myself.

Last question, are the local channels that I will receive based on a spot beam or based on my billing address?

Thanks for all the help . . .

Your billing address is how you get your locals determined, it in turn will place you in a perticular spot beam.

Jimbo

Both dishes use the same mast. I have the AT-9 myself but I have always found that a ounce of paranoia is work a weeks worth of headaches.

If I had the option, I would use them on both the AT-9 & AU-9 if I thought wind would be problem.

Last edited:
Guys,
If you have to ask what monopoles are you are in for a long afternoon.
They are the clamp - on braces DTV provides as an option to brace the standard mast & AT9 or 10. Using both of them can't hurt but adds holes to the wall or roof. The slimline (5lnb) looks better and seems lighter....does the same HD thing.

Joe

Crazy not to use two monopoles for the Slimline dish. That thing is like a kite, even in a moderate wind. The AT-9 can't be much better with that LNB contraption hanging off the side.

Using four bolts on the base is a good idea, too.

Any sarcasm you might think you sense in my post has nothing to do with having to reposition a dish in 40 MPH winds with an outdoor temperature of 41 degrees. :D

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)