D* already downrezzing HDLIL to 1440

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think I said this on that thread on AVS....so what? If it looks as good as OTA then what does it really mean if it's "downrezzed". I like what someone else posted above, as soon as someone says "hey, this is downrezzed" then immediately you have tons of people complaining about it whereas before they didn't care or notice. It's like lemmings jumping off a cliff. :D

I like the people bitching about FOOD HD and HGTV HD because dish has it at 1440 x 1080. I find this funny is because all shows on these channels are SHOT in 1440 x 1080.

If they are shot and shown in 1440 x 1080 are they really being downresed?

math was never my best or favorite subject but to answer your question, i would have to say....ah, no!

I agree Scott, too many people focus on the bits and bytes. If you cant tell, what does anything matter? The MPEG2 does matter because you CAN see the difference. Ignorance is almost bliss in this case. Now that the can is open, the placebo effect is active. Now folks will doubt everything and over analyze to convince themselves something is wrong when nothing is. Thanks Vurbano.

I have thick skin and ignore him but others wont. Please take any comments he makes with a grain of negative salt. As for the rest of us, we think MPEG4 HDLIL look good so take that into account when reading the posts.

I fell prey to the the people running around saying how good HDLIL looked and D*'s 100 HD channels this year and cancelled it. D* is to upgrade my equipment tommorrow. I wish I had read this The M8B speaks out on D* & MPEG4 LIL HD. - AVS Forum earlier.

I thought you canceled the install because their DVR was so poor. You don't believe that the LIL HD looks good do you? Anyway if you are getting upgraded today you can judge for yourself. Did you sign on for another 2 year commitment ? If so welcome back.

Forgive me for being naive, but if 1080i refreshes 1/2 the picture with each pass and 720p refreshes the entire picture at once...wouldn't 720p be the same as 1440i (if there was such a thing)??

BTW I went over to AVS and read the origional post... it was from MARCH.

Some great leaps in MPEG4 encoing have been made since that time.

It appears that the person who posted this link here did so just to stir the pot. In fact this person hates DirecTV so much that instead of getting the holy mecca of FIOS he opted the get some more DirecTV equipment. What does that tell you?

BTW I went over to AVS and read the origional post... it was from MARCH.

Some great leaps in MPEG4 encoing have been made since that time.

It appears that the person who posted this link here did so just to stir the pot. In fact this person hates DirecTV so much that instead of getting the holy mecca of FIOS he opted the get some more DirecTV equipment. What does that tell you?

hmm, you aren't talking about vurbano are you? ;)

IT MIGHT SCARE ME!!!! worse than that, it may try to eat me alive!!! :p

actually, the ignore button idea might work!

I thought you canceled the install because their DVR was so poor. You don't believe that the LIL HD looks good do you? Anyway if you are getting upgraded today you can judge for yourself. Did you sign on for another 2 year commitment ? If so welcome back.
Yes the poor DVR was another factor. Well I didnt sign anything. SO far the biggest problem is none of the Onkyo codes work for my reciever TXNR801 . 2 turn it off but not on and 2 turn it on but not off. No volume control SUCKS!!!!!! The HDTivo had the right code, for the life of me I dont see how they have gone backwards on this.

I remember seeing some posts in another forum where a tv engineer posted where they ran full res test charts over the air and compared them to the DTV LIL signal and indeed they were downrezzed to 1440.

at least its not 1280 and remember its not all about the resolution.

Yes the poor DVR was another factor. Well I didnt sign anything. SO far the biggest problem is none of the Onkyo codes work for my reciever TXNR801 . 2 turn it off but not on and 2 turn it on but not off. No volume control SUCKS!!!!!! The HDTivo had the right code, for the life of me I dont see how they have gone backwards on this.

The RC64RB may have the right code(I have an Onkyo receiver TX601 and the RC64RB works for me). Call Directv and see if you can get them to exchange the remote for that one. The volume control should work tho on one of those that turns it off, for the time being.

I wish someone with a contact would ask why the hell they are showing NESNHD at 720p. Especially when they had it at 1080i for a good time.

Forgive me for being naive, but if 1080i refreshes 1/2 the picture with each pass and 720p refreshes the entire picture at once...wouldn't 720p be the same as 1440i (if there was such a thing)??

Actually I would rather have the 720p over the 1080i for sports any day, mainly for the refresh rate.

Jimbo

I have a 65" Sony crtr ptv set that I have done lots of tweaks to, not just those you use a disk for.
My locals look identical to ota. I have switched back and forth on them too. Macroblocking? I get plenty of that with ota- they share their signal with subcarriers and it shows. I am happy with the way ota look (I expected much worse).
BTW, what's so bad about 1440 x 1080i? For the past year, I have used HDV (1440x1080) to film my family and the tapes look great.

Actually I would rather have the 720p over the 1080i for sports any day, mainly for the refresh rate.

Jimbo

Trust me, NESN doesn't look better or even close to what it does at 1080i. 720p is fine if that is the actual resolution coming from the station, not something D* is converting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

h20 keeps rebooting with hdmi

Channel 82 NBCE - Problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts