damaged dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 18, 2004
I got my 90cm dish delivered last night and started to put it together this morning.
I noticed the dish is damaged. The outer lip is bent, obviously from being dropped in it's box. The surface still looks smooth and is not bent. I have attached a picture.
Will this cause me any problems with reception?

Attachments

• dd0096.JPG
    dd0096.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Ouch...!! That's not a pretty picture, but it doesn't look like it should effect the reflector area. The only way you'll know for sure is to put it in service. And then, if it appears OK, you will always wonder if it might have been better without the Ding? If it was me, I would contact the Vender or the Shipper and see if you have any recourse to exchange it, just to try to be on the safe side. Good Luck!

Al

Al,
The reflector looks great, no dings or dents.
On the vendor's website (Sadoun) they say any damage contact the vendor (UPS), and we all know how that's going to go!
I want to do the install today, because of weather conditions. It's unseasonaly warm here in Boston (60 degrees). The rest of the week it's supposed to be in the low 30's and next week we got some snow coming. (this sounds more like a weather report)!
I'm gonna go for it.

Is that just the paint that is cracked? I would try to repair it by reshaping it and touching up the paint. Perhaps with some automotive type enamel touch up paint to prevent rust.

the paint is cracked and the lip is bent at that one spot. It's more at the lip at the back.

Put it up! That doesn't look like it would hurt anything. Of course it wouldn't make me happy to get one delivered like that either, but when those things get shipped using fedex or ups I would expect something like that. They just don't pack them good enough for the abuse they endure while en route.

I took everyone's advice and layed it flat on it's face and it is indeed still flat.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

When I got my Fortec 180cm dish from Sadoun the box was a wreck, it looked like it had been wet and thrown around. Luckily, the contents were perfect. I try to be around when having items delivered, that way the carrier should allow you to inspect the contents before they leave.

The box was in great condition, not a mark or tear on it.
I think it was done in the packing stage.
I did notice at his website, it says no returns on dishes and if damaged contact the delivery company.
I'll have to think twice when wanting a new piece of equipment.

I opened my dish today also and it was bent and is missing paint also.

It is a Fortec 90p dish. It lays flat.

It is 85cm from right to left and 94cm up and down is this correct or should it be perfetly 90cm all the way arround?

I know these things are big but they should be shipped in their own box in styrofoam and then they would not get damaged. Shoving all the other stuff around it and not securing it was probably what damaged it.

The box was in perfect condition also, no signs of damage to the box.

Last edited:
success story

When I got a 90cm Fortec several years ago from Sadoun, it had the motor and other parts tossed into the big box.
I was upset by this, especially with heavy things like the motor flopping around with my USB receiver, but ...
... but everything arrived in great shape!
The dish was fine, the motor was fine, the receiver was fine, and all the bracketry and LNB were dandy as well.
Oh, there was one paint bruise where something had rubbed against a support strut.
The box was in good shape, and I kept it in case I ever needed something like that again.
I did have a live wasp wound up in the bubble pack, but he was dispatched with a shot of RAID. :cool:

Then, I got a 3ABN 90cm dish a few months ago.
The box was left by the carrier while I was gone (per my instructions).
It seemed smaller and was quite a bit thinner than the Fortec.
The carton was bruised a bit on one corner.
Inside, custom-molded packing foam was a plus, but if you ask me, it wasn't packed for gorilla-handling either. :rolleyes:
Turned out, the dish was in fine shape.
Not warped, no dings, no scratches, nothing to complain about at all.

So far, I'm battin' a thousand. - :up - Or at least 999.

My T90 arrived with the left side of the main reflector bent. Suspect it was dropped during shipping because the outside lip was bent around almost 45 degrees. Used channel locks to carefully bend it back.

There's a BUD locally that looks like it was taken out by the wind once. Fully 1/3rd of it is very bent but I'm told it still works okay. Surprised the hell out of me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts