Darbee Darblet

Well I have had it hooked up for about and hour.

And it DOES make a difference. When I first got it hooked up I didn't like it as it added too much... was like turning up sharpness all the way and getting a bunch of garbage added to the screen. But then I lowered the level to 45 and got a picture I was happy with. I did a split screen test and I found it neat it was bringing out DETAIL that you could not make out in the standard HD picture.

Also hard to explain is it appears to have more depth in the picture as well.

It is pleasing... the only thing I can see wrong now is after watching it for awhile you are going to think the picture looks normal and you will forget you have a $300 machine making your TV look better.

I can't imagine not having it now. The best compliment is you forget it's there, meaning there are no artifacts if set correctly. But turn it off and you are amazed. Great improvement on my LCD, particularly good with blu-ray movies especially because movies often have facial close-ups or nice scenery. All made clearer.

I thinking about giving it another go, just plugging it in between the 3313ci and the VT50, set on HD and 45%, and leave it for a few weeks.

Im looking at the Cobalt, mainly due to cost. It cant handle 3D or Deep Color, but I care about neither. I only have a Roku, Hopper and Oppo 103, and Im not using Deep Color or 3D. Dish actually runs thru the Oppo 103 which scales it to 1080p/60 for the VT50. A lot of folks seem to like this combo. Cobalt open box is $229, not bad at all.

Jason,

How is pq with Dish going through the Oppo 103? I've seen others say the pq really improves a good bit.
I think Sony makes a bluray player that offer 4k enhancements. It's about half the price of the 103.

Its hard to say that it improves it over going direct to the VT50, because the VT50 actually has pretty good processing. If your display's scaling/deinterlacing was not very good Im sure it'd help more. The only reason Im running it thru there is:

1) I can hit info and it shows me what audio format and resolution is coming in from Dish and what is going out to the VT50. I like being able to look.
2) I figure I "think" the VT50 does a good job with 720p and 1080i, but I know the 103 handles both perfectly, so I'm guaranteeing myself the best handling of both of those by using the 103.

Home Theater Hifi did their review on the 103, and he actually tested the 103's input ability using a Oppo 93 sending in 720p and 1080i test patterns, and it passed all. Pretty cool. The other issue with the VT50 is it has been found not to correctly detect 1080i film vs video, and I know the Oppo will. My only complaint now is that the Panasonic's just don't offer as sharp an image as a Samsung plasma, which the theory is they just have some Darbee like non defeatable enhancement going on, but its a good thing IMO. The 2011 I owned was noticeably sharper than the GT30, granted the Panasonics don't look bad, but the Samsung wins here. From my reading, and the reason I want to give it a longer chance to impress me, the Darbee does what the Panasonic needs.

I like it so far. Have done a lot of pausing to see what it affects. Part of the theory is it would be less effective in fast moving scenes because motion resolution of sets drops anyways, so things arent exactly clear. That being said, its obvious what it does in slow scenes. Im running HD and 45% right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)