Denon 3313CI incoming

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im selling my 809 to my dad and when I bought a 3312CI, Electronics Expo told me they were out of stock and upgraded me to a 3313CI for no cost. I'll see today what actually arrives, but their site shows 3312's in stock. I'm wondering if this is a ploy to get around MAP pricing.

Depending on what shows up today Ill try and get some pics up in a few days.The 809 has served me well, but I personally can hear a difference when cranked loudly for action flicks, vs the old Marantz. IMO the Onkyo might not be best suited for Klipsch horns, so Im heading back to Denon.

Well, they held their word, a 3313ci showed up. Nice looking, just like other Denons, pretty weighty but in a compact frame (the 809 Barely fit in my stand).

Here are some pics, its updating software now via ethernet cable and hub, and that looks like itll take 35 mins or so. After that I'll run Audyssey.

IMG_2523_zps08c72d69.jpg

Front
IMG_2524_zps67bb4edd.jpg

Front 2
IMG_2525_zpsd2095e8a.jpg

Bottom
IMG_2526_zpsdbf3b756.jpg

Back
IMG_2527_zps7fec186f.jpg

Remote
IMG_2529_zps285e3ba6.jpg

Onkyo vs Denon size shots
IMG_2530_zps054e7c20.jpg

IMG_2531_zps8cf06f2b.jpg

IMG_2532_zps43fd0eb0.jpg

In cubby
IMG_2533_zpsc181355e.jpg

Audyssey went well. A couple of observations for me would be the menus are nicer than my Denon 1912 were as well as the Marantz 6005 and Onkyo 809. As far as Multi EQ XT goes, the Onkyo allowed you to tweak the sub gain before starting, the Denon does not. The Denon does allow you to calculate after the first reading, so you can check the sub volume reading and start over without much loss. The Denon does allow you to retake a measurement if you do something to skew it like make a noise, and the Denon allows you to go ahead and bypass height and wide speakers if you dont have them. The Onkyo does not.

Overall, I like the Audyssey implementation on the 3313 better, but they are real close. Denon menus are better overall IMO. Now to give it a listen for a few days :).

I think independent adjustment of subs is reserved for Audyssey MultEQ XT32 now, which is in the new Onkyo TX-NR818 or Denon AVR-4520ci. I'm really not impressed with the Made in China Denon receivers and is why I paid $1000 for the upgrade for my Denon AVR-5308ci instead of buying a new Denon. The sound of the new Denon receivers over the last couple of years doesn't match up to their older stuff.

Yes, you need 32 for multiple subs.

I watch Dredd at about +1.0db volume last night :) and it sounded great. Some of that harshness I have been hearing from the horns was not there any more. Its a slight difference, but I do prefer the sound Denon puts out.

Glad you're enjoying it. I like the Denon and Marantz amps. Very accurate sound. Yamaha's have my favorite amps in a receiver, but I wish they used Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. Still considering Marantz AV8801.

S~

I always hear great things about Yamaha's, but Audyssey does keep me away. I've been really happy with the results from my MultiEQ XT setup routine, which includes running the sub 4-5db hot once it completes.

The Onkyo had plenty of beef, and a good sound as well, it's just that harsness/metallic/high treble feel at high volume that made me a little unhappy. It'll take more time with the 3313 to get an accurate opinion, but just with it cranked on Dredd I did not hear any of the issues Ive been experiencing the last few months. I know some folks so there is no amp color, but there are just as many that feel some amps are not a good fit with horns or other "bright" speakers.

Father in law came over for dinner and started watching Iron Man 2 on Fx. Since I have it on Blu I said screw it and threw it in. We pretty much watched the entire movie on a volume setting Id rate at "stupid loud", and the Denon just slammed it home. No harshness at all, Im pretty much sold on Denon/Marantz + Klipsch.

I think certain speakers require a certain power fit, and while Im not saying thats true of everything, in my experience with these Klipsch horns, it does kinda matter what you power em with.

I am thinking about upgrading my 4-year old Denon, but I will probably wait a couple of years to see what happens with Ultra HD. I am also thinking of going with 9.1 and Neo:X. Unfortunately Denon currently only offers Neo:X decoding in its top receiver AVR-4520CI, which is pricey!

Still loving it.

Finally decided to hook up an Ethernet cable tonight and update it. There have been many updates already that Ive skipped, none of which appear to address any issues, but I figured what the heck. Never know.

Still considering the X4000 as a prepro until I do the HT upgrade. Really would like the XT32 and discrete dual subs.

S~

Im debating, since I want to buy a second VTF15 in the next 4 months or so, if I should sell the 3313ci and get the 4000, vs having Chad calibrate the 3313ci once I get two subs. Cost is the same, or close enough, if I can get around $500 for the 3313.

Aight, you got my wheels turning. 3313ci pricing on ebay used are pretty good, and refurb x4000 pricing is great from auth sellers.

Hmmmm.

I do...

Wife is working late so I'm pulling out the stand and using this opportunity to re-route devices and wires. Should be a good project.

Here are some shots:

Front is almost identical to 3313ci, some of the badges are in a different spot
IMG_20130918_162651_637_zps5260eb17.jpg

I like the new layout on the back
IMG_20130918_162731_151_zps47e7cef2.jpg

Mono 12v trigger cable for amp
IMG_20130918_162756_084_zps0d2e5cdb.jpg

New remote has brushed look like front of AVR, looks better than 3313ci gloss look
IMG_20130918_163716_763_zps33bdc47a.jpg

Menu's are a little nicer on the X4000, but they were also nice on the 3313ci. I ran Audyssey XT32 last night and its the same as running XT in execution. Would be a little different if I had the second sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts