Denon Receiver Sound Issues

fleetmack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Westminster, CO (North Denver)
i have an old denon avr2000 receiver, works great and i love it ... until recently. randomly, the center channel just seems to turn off, as with the front left speaker. the venting is fine, as are the cables. if i turn off the receiver and turn it back on, it works fine again. it can do this every 5 minutes, or go weeks without doing it. any ideas what to look for so i can repair this beast?

I just had this problem with an old Sony receiver. I took the receiver apart and redid the solder on the relay for the center speaker. While I was at it, I did it for all of the relays. On my receiver there are four. I believe they are for; speakers A, speakers B, Center, and rear. Once I re-soldered the relays to the circuit board, the receiver seems to be working fine.

On the Denon AVR-2000 the word "Protect" popped up. Any idea what that means?

It usually means that the receiver has detected a short across the speaker terminals. Try disconnecting the speakers and then reconnecting them one at a time. If it comes back, you have found the bad wire or speaker. Replace the speaker wire and see if that fixes it. If not, you have a short in your speaker and will need to either have it repaired or replaced.

If the protection stays on with all the speakers connected, then you have an internal short in the receiver itself, and it probably isn't worth fixing for a receiver that old.

Note: Once the protection comes on, you will need to cycle power to the receiver to clear it.

If the protection stays on with all the speakers connected, then you have an internal short in the receiver itself, and it probably isn't worth fixing for a receiver that old.
I think this should say:

If the protection stays on with all the speakers disconnected, then you have an internal short in the receiver itself, and it probably isn't worth fixing for a receiver that old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)