Denon Video Mode Issue

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Was just checking settings,

with Dish sending 1080i/60, the Denon is using Video Mode Auto(Movie). With the blu-ray player sending 1080p/24 the Denon is showing Auto(Game). I have video conversion and the i/p scaler off, so I dont really get why this would show Movie for Dish and Game for the player...

I went ahead and set both the Dish and Blu inputs to Movie and Video Conversion Off. Video Mode offered 3 choices, Auto, Game and Movie. Im not sure why it would detect a 1080p/24 signal and choose Game. Im also not sure what Game/Movie/Auto actually does with video conversion off anyways.

Thats whats odd. Its obviously detecting something since its changing, all the while with Video Conversion and I/P scaler off.

Weird. I think I ran into the same thing on the Marantz 6005, and set it to Movie as well.

Maybe GAME and MOVIE has something to do with the reference black level that is output to the TV. In the past selecting a GAME video mode meant that black was set to 0 IRE and MOVIE was set to 7.5 IRE. This can be verified easily if your TV has a test pattern that includes a PLUGE pattern or SMPTE bars with PLUGE in 2nd box from the right on the bottom of the color bars. The block is divided into three little columns with 3.5 IRE on the left, 7.5 IRE in the middle, and 11.5 IRE on the right. Depending on how the Denon and your TV handle this you might either two small bars with the right one being greyer than the middle one or just a bar on the right side.

I'll see if I can find a picture of a PLUGE for reference.

pluge1.jpg

Yeah, I can always pop in Spears and Munsil, DVE or WOW and see if changing from Movie to Game matters on a pattern. It just irritates the hell out of me when they put in features like this and dont explain them. If I have video conversion OFF, it should just be acting as a repeater, period.

I also emailed the guy Batpig on his website to see if he has any input.

Last edited:
I'd consider auto on the Dish input so that it will detect and rebuild 24p on film cadenced material.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

I found out it appears to be an issue with the Denon and Panasonic. I hooked the Oppo up and it detects Movie in Auto, not Game.

I found out it appears to be an issue with the Denon and Panasonic. I hooked the Oppo up and it detects Movie in Auto, not Game.

Did you see any difference in black levels with your calibration discs when changing modes? I know those modes have different black levels on my TV, but I have everything running through my Denon AVR and only have a single connection to the TV. Simpler as far as switching goes but each device has to be calibrated using the TV's built-in reference bars so they all match. I simply use the AVS ITU-R BT.709 disc in the Oppo for setup these days since I care more about PQ when watching discs vs. just HD-Lite from satellite. I also have the DVE HD disc as well.

Batpig is THE man on all things Denon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts