Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
I have been impressed with the speed of the roku with using wireless

Yep we have too.Not sure what speed the wifi chip is capable of,I know its b/g/n so I assume it can go up 300mbps.I'm gonna try and install plex media server this afternoon and stream some 1080p from the pc via the roku.If it doesn't skip or stutter with that then it shouldn't have any problems with virtually everything.

it's been mentioned here that someone measured Amazon at 13Mbs. I have enver mentione dit so I turly can't say he's wrong but I know from experience having the Roku since 2009 that Amazon though it looks good in HD doesn't come anywhere near Blu Ray quality. Blu Ray is up atleast as high as 13Mbs if not higher. According to Amazon's website you only need 3.5Mbs to get thier service in HD. so I therefor something is a miss when he states he's using 13Mbs.

You can stream Amazon as fast as you want and it will still be 720P. That's what they put out...... It will never be bluray quality....

Which roku are you all getting? Is it the LT, HD, XD, or XS model? So far all they would offer me is $5 off my bill. Would I even use the box is the next question.

Moe

it's been mentioned here that someone measured Amazon at 13Mbs. I have enver mentione dit so I turly can't say he's wrong but I know from experience having the Roku since 2009 that Amazon though it looks good in HD doesn't come anywhere near Blu Ray quality. Blu Ray is up atleast as high as 13Mbs if not higher. According to Amazon's website you only need 3.5Mbs to get thier service in HD. so I therefor something is a miss when he states he's using 13Mbs.

I believe it was initially 13mbit until the buffer was full then fell down to a reasonable bit rate around 3-4mbit. If you look at the amazon web page for a show it usually shows the approximate bit rate for that show. They go up to 5mbit for certain download methods, streaming is usually a lot less.

One would expect an initial high bit rate to fill a buffer to prevent internet dropouts.

Which roku are you all getting? Is it the LT, HD, XD, or XS model? So far all they would offer me is $5 off my bill. Would I even use the box is the next question.

Moe

I beleive we're getting refurb XD2's. After playing around with it, I decided to get a 2nd Roku for another HD TV in the house. I got an XS at BJ's Wholesale Club. It was $90, but it came with the game controller to play Angry Birds. It would have cost me about $40 for a game controller so that we could play AB on the XD.

And it has a USB port where you can use a stick to view your own video and photos

Yea I been comparing some of the models and the older xs 2050 I believe has several more connections as well as ethernet port.

Still haven't got plex installed yet.In theory you should be able to stream video music and pictures from your own network to the roku.

I got mine in the FedEx delivery this morning. As luck would have it, the lamp in my family room DLP took a dive this morning when came downstairs to watch the news. And then one of my pc archive drives appears to have eaten itself.

I'm almost afraid to plug the Roku into the wall for fear of global implications. I'll say one thing it is compact.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts