Difference between StarChoice LNB's

Me-At-Work

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Can some explain to me the difference between the stacked and quad LNB's that they use? Even the installer could not give me a half decent explanation, even though he did an excellent job. The stacked dish has an external switch and the qud is build in - is the switch different? I do know that they use linear and not circular polarization so there must be a polarity control in there somewhere like the BUD systems. I just think it is a pain to have this programmed into the receiver upon activation. When we take the 205 to the cottage I have to call them to switch to the used stacked dish I bought and call them again when I bring it home. Does anyone know of a way to switch it in the menus?

Hope this has not been covered before - I searched the forum and found no matches for "stacked LNB".

Thanks again

Me-At-Work

Non stacked: 13 volts selects 1 polarity (either horizontal or vertical), 18 volts selects other polarity (I forget which one is which on Anik F1R/F2 satellites)

Stacked:
Frequencies on transponders selected by 18 volts on a nonstacked LNBF are transposed by a stacked LNBF to a higher frequency. This way the receiver sees all 32 transponders at the same time.

That makes sense...

The installer made some vague mention of only requiring one cable into the house for stacked LNB systems with multiple receivers and a simple splitter inside.

Thanks for the info - do you have any idea how to switch it in a "hidden menu"

Thanks

Me-At-Work

it cant be switched in any menu. StarChoice sets it up in their system.

Stacked can use high frequency splitters...non stacked cannot use any splitters

Me-At-Work said:
T and a simple splitter inside.

Me-At-Work
You cannot switch it. Only SC can as it requires different channel maps.

Forget the splitter. Your installer is talking about a single satellite system (talk about being behind the times about 5 years).

SC stacked systems require 1 cable/satellite (2 cables at this time) running to a multiswitch installed in the house. You can get them in 4, 8, and 16 output versions. The multiswitches are labelled 2X4, 2X8, etc. You can also use DirecTV multiswitches designed for dual satellite operation.

Thanks for the all of the replies..

but I will end up probably buying a new quad lnb dish in the spring instead of using the stacked one I bought at a garage sale for $15. It is a pain to have to call them all of the time.

Thanks again

Me-At-Work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts