Diginets’ Future May Just Be Now

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/diginets-future-may-just-be-now/137823

The story stemming from NATPE last month wasn’t the latest celeb trying their hand at daytime TV, but a rapidly growing batch of upstart junior networks showing vintage TV series, black & white film classics and an endless litany of game shows. Call them subchannels or diginets, multicasts or dot-twos—the fledgling networks corralled a hefty portion of the Miami buzz in the wake of several launch announcements and the escalated presence of other channels with a few years’ head start.

“So many stations were behind on diginets,” says Sean Compton, president of strategic programming and acquisitions at Tribune Media. “They said there wasn’t money to be made, or they thought it would compromise their primary signal.”

That’s not the case anymore. While Tribune’s Antenna TV and This TV, as well as Weigel Broadcasting’s Me-TV, NBC’s Cozi TV and Katz Broadcasting’s Bounce TV, have had a healthy head start in the race to sign up affiliates and nail down sticky programming, the arena is getting a whole lot more crowded. Sony Pictures Television’s vintage films net getTV turned a year old last week, while Movies!, a venture between Weigel and Fox, turns 2 later this year. Decades, a classic TV network from Weigel and CBS Television Stations, has soft launched, with a proper debut due for Memorial Day. Weigel is also behind the crime channel Heroes & Icons, which will compete for affiliates and viewers with other rookies such as Katz net LAFF, MGM’s The Works, FremantleMedia North America’s game show net Buzzr and the crime-fighting channel Justice Network.

The diginets, once the baby of the television industry, are on their feet and walking. “Now there’s variety—comedy, game shows, dramas,” says Michael Kokernak, president of the multicast consultancy Across Platforms. “We finally see a range of content, and that’s what the industry needed to do.”

Pay to Play

According to Kokernak, 60 individual subchannels were launched on full power stations in the second quarter of 2014, climbing to 101 in the third quarter and skyrocketing to 155 in the fourth. The first quarter’s launches continue the trend of a massive affiliate grab by the multicasts. Networks can go about that in different ways, essentially leasing time on a station’s subchannel, similar to how networks paid affiliates compensation years ago; or lining up a more partner-minded revenue share with the broadcaster. Networks such as Antenna and Cozi can avoid the paid model because they are launched by station groups; others, such as getTV and Katz Broadcasting’s Escape and Grit, pay for carriage.

The paid model, which might see a network shell out $5,000-$15,000 monthly to air on a major-market subchannel, may be more prevalent than network operators let on. “Everyone wants it for free, but if it’s a market they want, they will pay,” says Kokernak.

Lived Well

Live Well Network was a compelling case study in multicast originals, airing a creative slate but failing to find enough viewers to make the ABC owned stations’ initiative viable. Competitors would not comment on Live Well’s demise on the record. Privately, they say the programming was not unique enough to stand out from like-minded cable nets, and successfully marketing originals requires a very dominant line on the budget.

Time will tell how many diginets will still be plugging away down the road. After all, .2 Network never launched, and CoolTV and Retro TV have seen precipitous slides in affiliations. “I don’t know if there are too many,” says Tribune’s Compton. “They said that about cable 10-15 years ago, and cable is still adding channels.”

the link has the whole article. The above is an abridged version because I know sometimes B&C makes you sign up to view after a specific time

Just got Antenna TV this week on 23.4 and its a good channel. Instead of GRIT/ESCAPE being two different channels they should have put the programming into one. I always thought Luken should have condensed his programming as well.

Instead of GRIT/ESCAPE being two different channels they should have put the programming into one.
I agree but Katz thought otherwise. The one thing that "backfired" doing that (2 channels) is when you have a massive affiliate agreement like Sinclair but it was only for Grit that kinda makes the other station looks bad. Grit 108 affiliates, Escape 38

I always thought Luken should have condensed his programming as well.
after RTN/RTV went downhill (they use to have the programming that MeTV had) yeah they should have just condensed them. But instead they create more channels and put some of the same programming on there

Thats what I've seen with H&I (Heroes and Icons). Some of the programs on there are also on MeTV

Reactions: chum1976
Maybe all we really need after all is just the big three and a handful of real local channels like the good old days. Oh, yes and 1 PBS too.

All this garbage since the mid 90's to now has been one large waste of money.

And pay TV should be channels WITHOUT commercials.

Maybe all we really need after all is just the big three and a handful of real local channels like the good old days. Oh, yes and 1 PBS too.

All this garbage since the mid 90's to now has been one large waste of money.

And pay TV should be channels WITHOUT commercials.
You mean like the BBC in England?

And I want FCC stop being a nanny state because they are chopping up the high quality PG-13 to R rated movies made in the USA!:(

And the Europe TV OTA broadacasters are laughing at us only in America we have to pay good uncut movies.

And please get rid of E/I junk TV shows, kids need to go outside and get in good shape. Kid are getting too fat these days in 2015!

SHAME on FCC for this mess!!

Reactions: danristheman
And please get rid of E/I junk TV shows, kids need to go outside and get in good shape. Kid are getting too fat these days in 2015!

SHAME on FCC for this mess!!

Complain to Congress. Congress passed a law mandating the E/I programming. It will take an act of Congress to end it.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
another article
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/why-leave-it-beaver-has-stations-seeing-green-162972

In recent years, at the far end of the channel lineup, a slew of upstart broadcast diginets, or subchannels, quietly started popping up thanks to changes in FCC regulations that let TV stations broadcast multiple channels. And while much of their programming—news, weather and lifestyle content characterized by low production values—would hardly be considered Emmy-worthy, some are stealing a page from cable networks like USA and TBS in their early days by leaning on reruns of classic TV shows.

MeTV, a channel that airs The Honeymooners, has been cleared in 94 percent of the U.S., according to Neal Sabin, vice chairman of parent Weigel Broadcasting Co. And Tribune Media's Antenna TV, a diginet whose schedule is filled with episodes of series like Leave It to Beaver, has cleared the top 20 markets and 75 percent of the country.

Even though some of these old shows predate the Cuban Missile Crisis, they are helping the diginets gain traction with advertisers in addition to market share. "It's been a good business since day one," said Steve Farber, Tribune's svp of operations. The channel is already profitable. "You don't need to be at 75 percent to start making money," Farber said.

Reactions: foghorn2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)