digital audio output

nightowl66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Hi, I have the same setup in the house and in the shop/cave which is flat screen tv, sony receiver with surround, dish dvrs. Both dish receivers have hdmi cable to tv. Have always had digital audio out cable from dish receivers to sony receivers to get dolby digital surround in both house and shop. Since I added amazon fire stick to hdmi input on tv in the house, I moved the digital audio cable from the dish receiver to the digital audio out on the tv to the sony receiver. now I get dolby surround sound from the fire stick and the dish. I did the same in the shop, but when I move the digital audio cable from the dish receiver to the tv out , i dont get dolby surround. The tv in the shop is a older plasma, but it has the digital optical out on the back, but i just get stereo sound, not surround. Plug the cable back into the dish receiver, i get dolby surround. any ideas why I don't get it thru the tv out?

Almost all tvs will not put out or pass 5.1 surround sound unless it is from the internal tuner, or in this case the Fire stick. In this case you will need to run audio from the Dish receiver to the receiver and an audio cable from the tv to the receiver (fire stick) for surround sound.

S~

The TV is going to put an stop to any surround sound from all HDMI sources for the reasons that teachsac noted. I don't think the FireTV (or any of the other streaming sticks) is immune from this debilitating limitation.

Thanks for the replies, the tv in the house does let surround pass thru, I guess the older tv in the shop does not. The house tv manual states the digital output only works with digital tv channels or a hdmi device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts