Diplexer- Use to split OTA only??

coolstrategist

Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
Chicago NW suburbs
I have had Voom for many months and get OTA and all Voom channels perfectly. The installer took my OTA cable (already existing roof antenna)from the wall directly into the Voom box and the Voom Sat cable from the wall directly into the Voom box. If it matters, no cables were combined from either and he never went on my roof.

I am interested in splitting the OTA antenna cable in order to get PIP on my DLP set. I know I can run to Radio Shack and buy a UHF/VHF splitter but my question has to do with this: My installer left all the stuff he did not use months ago. Along with the unused Terk antenna was a small box with a Channel Master model 4032ifd diplexer. I do not know anything about diplexors. Can I use a diplexer to split my OTA signal only?

In other words can I take the OTA cable from the wall...take it out of the back of the Voom box and put it in the "VHF/UHF in" on the diplexer, between the LNB A and LNB B connections (which will remain empty)...then run two separate coax out of the Sat A-VHF/UHF and Sat B-VHF/UHF and run one back into the Voom box and the other into the Ant in on the television?? Will this work?

Are there any signal or electrical issues I need to know about? The diplexor states "DC pass" on it.

Just trying to use leftovers..but I can afford a true OTA splitter if necessary!

As far as I know that diplexer should work as a simple splitter. It definitely can't hurt anythig if you try it out. Splitting the OTA cable should work good enough as long as all of the towers are in the same direction i.e. no rotor needed.

Sounds like you have a multiswitch, not just a diplexer! What you described may work: you can try. As wasch_24 said, it won't hurt anything. But why introduce extra signal loss? Get a simple VHF/UHF splitter. It's cheap!

Thanks very much for the help!

As far as degrading the signal, if I am only concerned with the digital/hd OTA locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) does the degradation matter? I have heard that with these signals you either get them or you do not.

But I will try it tonight since it is just laying around. I assume I can use some leftover coax from my old cable box to make the extra two connections.

coolstrategist said:
As far as degrading the signal, if I am only concerned with the digital/hd OTA locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) does the degradation matter? I have heard that with these signals you either get them or you do not.
For strong channels it won't make a difference, but if you have a very weak channel, the extra signal loss (3-5 dB) introduced by the multiswitch (or by the splitter for that matter), can possibly make a difference between getting a channel and not getting it. Again, just give it a try and see if it works. Most likely it will!

Great info! Thanks again. I will let you know how it works out tonight.

I guess I am doing more experimenting (have never used the PIP) than anything since I will not even have this Samsung 61" DLP after this weekend. My new Mits 62725 DLP will be here Saturday. But if the hookup works I can use it on the Mits.

coolstrategist said:
Great info! Thanks again. I will let you know how it works out tonight.

I guess I am doing more experimenting (have never used the PIP) than anything since I will not even have this Samsung 61" DLP after this weekend. My new Mits 62725 DLP will be here Saturday. But if the hookup works I can use it on the Mits.

Are you using DVI from the VOOM box to the DLP? I am using DVI from my DN 811 to my Sammy DLP and the Sammy wont allow PIP when getting a direct digital feed from the DVI. Let us know if the Mits lets you do it.

Right now my Denon DVD 5900 is using the DVI input on my Samsung. I have not purchased a DVI switch yet so Voom is via Component but the picture is great on HD and SD. I did try Voom via DVI and did not have a noticeable improvement.

But you are right you cannot use PIP on the Sammy w/DVI. But I assume I can use Component and Antenna In to get PIP. I guess I will find out tonight. Do you know for sure (I guess I could look at an online manual)?

And I will let you know about the Mits when I get it.

Well I just found my answer from the online manual for the Samsung HLM617:

"NOTE
• The PIP subscreen doesn’t support ANT-B, Component1, Component2, Component3, PC, and DVI"

also

"NOTE
• When ANT-B, Component mode, PC, or DVI is selected, the PIP Swap function doesn’t work."

So I guess PIP subscreen only works with Ant-A, S-video and Video/Audio in connections.

But I wonder if my MAIN screen can be my Voom Component and the subscreen be Ant-A OTA? That is the question. I may not be able to "swap" but no need. Interesting.

I hope the Mits offers more alternatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)