DirectTV2PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ashland1381

Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Boston Subs
Hello all,

When the DirecTV2PC was first released in BETA several years back, the MAC QUESTION
was asked and answered, NO, Never etc.

However, Some posted that if bought/found/had several MAC based tools/products
you could do what the PC product does.

Anyone recall the MAC tools or am I just confused (that could be too).

Thanks

Bootcamp and XP on an intel based mac with a supported graphics card is the only way I know of making it work on a mac.

Its a pretty big effort to get the product going on windows. While a mac port is plausible its unlikely since the directv2pc product is largely based on cyberlinks powerdvd, and there isnt any powerdvd for the mac.

I can't watch "HD protected content" (a CBS college football game I recorded in HD). Why? The SW said I needed to upgrade my 2 year old NVIDIA video card driver and I did. No help. This is annoying. I don't remember this issue on the last DirecTV2PC release. Is there a way to get around this error?

The original beta version didnt require gpu acceleration and didnt enforce hdcp. I'm guessing that your new video card either doesnt do hdcp, you're not using hdmi or dvi to connect it to your display, or your display doesnt support hdcp.

The new directv stuff requires a video card that enforces hdcp, which is pretty much an encryption scheme that runs from the interface between the directv software and the video card, and holds that encryption all the way through to the screen. To maintain a full hdcp connection requires hdmi or dvi and an hdcp compliant tv or monitor.

This is to prevent people from intercepting the video data or recording it to a device that doesnt respect the 'do not make a copy' protections.

If you ask me, its a bad tradeoff to produce a product that tries to prevent a small percentage of people from 'stealing' content which is widely available from any number of sources and in the process disables all of the lawful users who dont have modern enough hardware...

I wonder if I can delete the current version and reinstall the old one. This is BS. I just want to watch a recorded game not make illegal copies/transmissions.

You can, i've done that. You do have to have a copy of the installer for the old one.

Directv could force an update to the client or do something in the server end to make it not connect with the older client, so its plausible they'll hose us at some point.

Unless you kept an old copy, I think you're out of luck. Its been wiped from the sources I was able to get it from earlier, and requests for it are being turned down.

thanks for that cfb I will keep looking if it is just a exe file Then if someone kept it I would still be able to use it I THINK>>>>

It was called simply "directv2pc.exe'. After that they started sticking version numbers in it. I did a google and found several pages of references, but all the download links went back to the download page. I know some other sites like dbstalk hosted the install files with permission from directv and cyberlink but I sort of doubt they still have them.

You're right, they wouldnt. A few people have asked and they were told that directv had 'moved on' and so should they, and the thread was closed.

Which I guess means "go buy a new laptop".

I note that satelliteguys has all the newer versions on an ftp site under /vid. I do have a copy of the old original directv2pc code, but its a little big to email around and it might be a copyright violation for me to do so. However, if they have permission to host the software and that permission doesnt explicitly exclude hosting the older versions, I'd be glad to send that along to someone for posting.

It seems to be a valuable item for those of us with laptops more than a year old, or displays that arent fully hdcp compliant.

I would however see how directv could want that software to not be available since they wet their pants whenever theres a .0001% chance that someone could screen cap their content and republish it...right next to the other 23,000 copies of everything thats already on the internet... ;)

hmm what is easier to do try stealing the recordin of the show you paid for via satellite bill thoug the monitor cable of your computer then splcing in the audio. or just going to ninjavideo that has the shows people watch up via streaming divx usually by next day.

Answer Ninja Video. No one cares enough about tv to try and intercept the signal via monitor cable.

You can actually use a 'screen scraper/capture' software tool to catch whats being displayed and the original directv2pc was susceptible to that, so you dont have to dig into the cable. The newer versions prevent screen capture or feeding a vga cable through a capture box.

Your point is well made though, pretty much whatever you want is kicking around somewhere, and pretty accessible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)