DirecTv CSR's are just dumb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rshubert

Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I just got off the phone with a CSR about the problems I'm having with my HR10-250 since the 6.3 update. This is after the third e-mail and second phone call. I was again offered a new HR20, but was unable to convince them that it's no use to me until the atsc tuners are activated. They proceeded to tell me that there are none, and they will not be needed in the future. I tried to convey that I currently receive a total of 7 local OTA digital channels and they only offer 3 mpeg4 channels in the Indy area from satellite and I receive the 7 free OTA now.
I finally just hung up in frustration. How long will we have to keep waiting for HD equipment and channel improvements?

How Unfortunate

I just got off the phone with a CSR about the problems I'm having with my HR10-250 since the 6.3 update. This is after the third e-mail and second phone call. I was again offered a new HR20, but was unable to convince them that it's no use to me until the atsc tuners are activated. They proceeded to tell me that there are none, and they will not be needed in the future. I tried to convey that I currently receive a total of 7 local OTA digital channels and they only offer 3 mpeg4 channels in the Indy area from satellite and I receive the 7 free OTA now.
I finally just hung up in frustration. How long will we have to keep waiting for HD equipment and channel improvements?

Well, first of all not all csr's are stupid and I apologize that you have bricks for brains and can't seem to understand that you dont know EVERYTHING and never will but just as a heads up if your reciever ever does go down we no longer offer Tivo and will not be replacing your Tivo with another Tivo you will just have to decide what you want to do once that time comes because its just like a computer one day it will break down and you can either except our offer or you can just stuff it and i wouldnt sugest going to dish because of their law suit with tivo they have 60 days to remove all dvr's from the homes they supply. but again if you dont want our offer you will have to one day take it or pay full price for a dtv tivo online at ebay because you will no longer recieve one from us.

OTA is now enabled on the HR20, as being reported on dbstalk.com i sugest you take their offer since the one issue u had is not one anylonger.

Well, DustinDTV comes in with his first post to defend the CSRs...wonder what he does for a living?

Some CSRs are dumber than bricks. I got told a couple of days ago that I couldn't recieve some channels because I didn't have a phone hooked to my receiver and that my TIVO receiver wouldn't work without that same phone line. Next I got told my TIVO wouldn't work if I only had one line coming in. THEN he lost his temper when I walked him through the setup prompts that showed I could set it up for one line when I told him that I wanted to talk to his supervisor.

WHERE do they get these fools?

You for one are a fool Mr Scotsmaron.

I worked for three months as a CSR for AT&T/Dish on the AT&T side of the house and can tell you that the CSR's are as good as the training they recieve from the client.

I quit on Thanksgiving Eve after a 45 minute phone call from a STUPID customer screaming at me that her caller ID was not working properly. She repeatedly assured me that she had connected all the lines and after I pleaded with her to check it again she discoverd that she FORGOT TO PUT THE BATTERIES in the caller id box. STUPID CUSTOMER waits 45 minutes on the phone with out checking her equipment and takes out her rage on the CSR.

The very next call I had was some one screaming about why the phone bill went up 7 cents. God get a life people. Who is gonna wait on the phone for 45 minutes to argue about a 7 cent phone bill.

Now in all fairness there ARE some stupid CSR's. AT&T rushes people out on the floor with minimal training and it affters the quality of service you recieved. Sad part is there are some CUSTOMERS who are dumber than dirt and like to come on line and bash the people who answer the phones.

And before you ask I took this job after retiring form the Navy as a Petty Officer First Class after 20 years for some temporary work. I fixed Jet Engines for 15 years and then worked as a Personelman taking care of peoples pay problems military benefits problems and other requests that needed to be done so I know how to talk to people on the phone and to treat them with the proper respect they deserve reguardless of rank. I tried this approach as a civilian and all I got was screaming whining CUSTOMERS who think the person who answers the phone is responsible for there PETTY PROBLEM.

So Mr Scotsmaron you have the right to say all of us that help or have helped peole are idots and wonder where we come from.

I wonder where you come from

Oh....seems someone can't read. Where did I EVER say ALL? Even YOU admitted "some". Seems to me that we agree.

Instead of going off on me, why don't you read critically first.

By the way, thank you for your service to the country.

Oh, and just so you know....I work the phones in a quasi custormer service job!!!! LOL!!!!

Perhaps I was a little hot on that and I do apologise but one thing I learned after 3 months as an AT&T rep was to give the people who answer the phone a little respect and I will admitt Direct TV and Dish Network is a different beast than AT&T

No big deal. I get doctors yelling at me all the time. :eek:

I just LOVE the customer retention people at D*. They are professional and it shows, they all have personalities and they seem to like their jobs. I just don't get trying to make stuff up and then get mad at me when I call them on it.

Scots

Actually not always are the retention folks with it. The last two weeks I have been frustrated as EVER with Directv. I have lived in an apartment for over 3 1/2 and all of a sudden my account type has been changed from a residential customer to an MDU account. This is not the case. I have been repeatedly told I MUST go thru the system operator, in this case AT&T home entertainment, for any service. I called AT&T and they told me they do NOT service anyone that isn't using the central dish...well this I knew...Directv even came out and installed my own equipment, equipment that I OWN. I have NEVER used the central dish or set up and account with our system operator.....Oh no, not anyone I have spoken to so far. They said they will no longer service my account...WTF?????

Oh and to top it off, I was not even informed of this change. I had to figure it out on my own...that is POOR customer service, ladies and gentlemen. Is it not???

I guess 10 years of service to them means NOTHING. I am really fed up and for the first time ever, I am starting to think about changing.

Oh btw, also, I was on hold for almost 2 hours last night and when I finally gave up, I called back only to discover they were CLOSED.....

I am beginning to hate them

OH WOW!!!!

What got me hot about my dumb CSR, the one that told me that I needed a phone line, was that he ARGUED WITH ME and then when I told him I wanted to speak to a supervisor, he said, "He'll just tell you what I told you!!". I told him, very calmly, to just let me talk to his supervisor. Well, the guy forgot to put the phone on mute. I could here him talking about me!!!! I was being a pain in the butt and wouldn't listen to reason. Now, I never raised my voice, never gave him a hard time or anything, I had more important things to worry about, like my dad being in the hospital. Next thing I know I here the voice getting closer to the phone and CLICK!!! HE HUNG UP ON ME!!!! I've still not decided what to do about this or even if I can do anything.

You can install a very inexpensive device to record calls and make sure to document everything, including always starting every call with their name and/or ID # and the date and time. BUT know your state's laws about recording. Anyhow, without any evidence it always becomes a he said / she said battle.

Most calls are recorded. All calls to AT&T are recorded and subject to monitering by the local QA staff as well as AT&T. Now the problem with the system is the phone calls go threw so many computers and some times calls do get dropped.

There were times I was helping the most friendly customers and suddenly you get a dial tone and you just know the customer did not hang up. Call drops are a reality and can be annoying. But at the same time if your rude to the CSR when you call they have on occasion hung up on people. Cussing themout will get you hung up on.

Calmly explaining the problem and then asking for a supervisor is the way to go. If some one explained the problem in a nice manner I would gladly get a supervisor (If I could find one) as many supervisors run from SUP CALLS as we call them.

As for AT&T/Dish once your installed by Dish Network you have to call AT&T for everything and it sucks. These bundle packs are great until you decide you want out of one of them and then it raises up all your rates. The biggest AT&T scam is HSI where you get a great price for a year and then to keep the speed you want you have to may more money. If you cancel the HSI then AT&T raises the rates on your Cingular cell phone and Dish Network programing.

In short I dont recommend bundling. You may save some money in the short term but you will have headaches in the long run

Just to clarify my above comment: I am talking about recording and documenting on the customer's end so that they have evidential material end THEIR hands; not to have to fight, to HOPE, to get what the business recorded, if they recorded anything.

Scots

Actually not always are the retention folks with it. The last two weeks I have been frustrated as EVER with Directv. I have lived in an apartment for over 3 1/2 and all of a sudden my account type has been changed from a residential customer to an MDU account. This is not the case. I have been repeatedly told I MUST go thru the system operator, in this case AT&T home entertainment, for any service. I called AT&T and they told me they do NOT service anyone that isn't using the central dish...well this I knew...Directv even came out and installed my own equipment, equipment that I OWN. I have NEVER used the central dish or set up and account with our system operator.....Oh no, not anyone I have spoken to so far. They said they will no longer service my account...WTF?????

Oh and to top it off, I was not even informed of this change. I had to figure it out on my own...that is POOR customer service, ladies and gentlemen. Is it not???

I guess 10 years of service to them means NOTHING. I am really fed up and for the first time ever, I am starting to think about changing.

Oh btw, also, I was on hold for almost 2 hours last night and when I finally gave up, I called back only to discover they were CLOSED.....

I am beginning to hate them

AT&T may close, but D* is there 24/7 on the phones

Jimbo

Oh....seems someone can't read. Where did I EVER say ALL? Even YOU admitted "some". Seems to me that we agree.

Instead of going off on me, why don't you read critically first.

By the way, thank you for your service to the country.

Oh, and just so you know....I work the phones in a quasi custormer service job!!!! LOL!!!!

I would bet that on occassion, one or two of those customers on the other end of the phone with you have formed an opinion that you are "dumber than bricks"! Uncalled for I'm sure, but in your line of work (like the CSR you insult) it is inevitable.

So lighten up on the name calling for people you have no personal knowledge of. Calling them "rude" or "unknowledgeable" is one thing based on an experience; using the words "dumb", "stupid" or "dumber than bricks" on someone is an uncalled for insult that displays immaturity and is better used by children.

Your post above asks, "Instead of going off on me, why don't you read critically first?" Well I can see the generic CSR you are insulting asking the same thing of you. And no, I dont answer phones for a living.

Last edited:
Mtnmike, you have a point, BUT, I'm the one footing the bill. In my job, my side is STILL footing the bill.

I'm sure that they can have any opinion that they want to of me. Doesn't hurt my feelings in the least. Why? Because if they want to get paid, they have to work with me, or someone doing my job and what they don't realize is that I'm on their side. Whenever I call Tier One support, 8 out of 10 times it seems that we are in an adversarial position from the minute I say hello. Because I work in customer service I try VERY hard to not come across as a PITA or even be in a hurry. Yet, as I said, 8 out of 10 times it seems that they either answer the phones with an attitude or with just an "I really don't want to be here" voice.

As a technician I noticed that the worst CSRs are those that sign up new customers and build the work orders. If its done wrong simple thing just a dam receiver and a dish what else is there to install and satellite they screw it up as soon as WO is more complicated than regular IRD and basic dish. Now we have: a) frustrated customer b) frustrated tech c) wasted hours or customer support time d) more frustrated customers waiting on line because of see above e) giving up free programming, reducing bills trying to please frustrated customers.....and so on and so forth. Why? Just because DTV put lowest paid just hired from welfare never worked in their lives bums on the front lines where new customers are supposed to be happy with their Directv as compared to bad Dish, Cable etc......? Stupid.

Now as you all noticed customer retention is the most professional patient nice kind funny friendly and again professional folks. How stupid is that? Trying to keep now angry frustrated customer from switching to Dish, Cable etc..........? Why not put them on the front lines where happy customer is joining Direct as a happy person and stays loyal happy customer forever never has to bother with calling and fighting with stupid CSR?

I dont know the answer. Probably too many CSR position as compared to customer retention folks. But as a tech I hate all those Tyrons Shanikwas Shakintas Billy Bobs and Billy Joes who cant put together a simple work order. Its like 2 + 2 for me....simple. They screw it up and move on to the next victim. But probably it doesnt make a difference for Tyron if he is making 8 dollars from 9 to 5 or same 8 dollars free Medicare and free food stamps just by sitting at home smoking pot. He doesnt mind getting fired.
I am done.

But as a tech I hate all those Tyrons Shanikwas Shakintas Billy Bobs and Billy Joes who cant put together a simple work order. Its like 2 + 2 for me....simple. They screw it up and move on to the next victim. But probably it doesnt make a difference for Tyron if he is making 8 dollars from 9 to 5 or same 8 dollars free Medicare and free food stamps just by sitting at home smoking pot. He doesnt mind getting fired.
I am done.

Can't get more racist and stereotyped than that can it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hr20 not recording

R15 update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)