DirecTV D10 Recievers are warm to touch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Darkwing Duck

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Hello! I reciently setup my ReplayTV DVR to work with my new D10 reciever and I noticed that it was warm when I was moving it. I then checked out the other recievers and they're also warm at the top too so I'm guessing this is normal considering there isn't a fan. What I'm curious about though does anyone know if this will make them die sooner? (Although I realize since they're new nobody, in theory, has had one long enough for it to die but generally speaking).

Thanks.

The DirecTivo unit (which has a fan) operates at about 45 degrees centigrade! Other receivers that I have noted very high temps from are the E86 models as well as the base model RCA's, I don't remember the number but they were out like 2 years ago. I had 3 E86's fail and all were properly "ventilated" so I think the heat is what killed them.

So with heat probably being an issue in your opinion do you think I should get the protection plan incase they all die again because I really don't want to pay $50 to D* and get another year if one should die.

Rig a small computer case fan to the back of your entertainment center / armoire and suck out the hot air. Then go ahead and post a pick of what you did.

I'm thinking instead of that I'll just take the easy way out and get the service plan. Much easier :)

Darkwing, please tell us how you got the ReplayTV to work with the DirecTV D10... I just changed to that receiver and cannot get either the IR blaster codes to work, nor the serial cable. There is no response to any of the IR codes, and the serial port is failing to change the channel, and resetting the receiver instead so it searches for signal and then the guide, which takes 5 minutes and the channel does not change.

yes. PLEASE! TELL US!!! I just got setup with 3 D10's and i can't get either of my ReplayTVs to work with them.

Satbill. the EXACT same thing happens to me.

Who shall unravel the mystery?

-
Kev

Directv D10 receiver and ReplayTV or TIVO

I think I have it working now. Needs a few days to make sure, but... using the info at these links:

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaysinglethread?rootPostID=10105785
andf
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/printthread.php?&threadid=128743

I learned:
1. The DirecTV D10 cannot be controlled with an IR blaster / remote
2. Use the low speed data cable. It's only 3" long, so you may need a low-speed cable extension. I had one from my computer parts bin. You may find it at a CompUSA or Radio Shack. If you order online, make sure it's cabled all pins straight through, and has one end male the other female.
3. Go into your ReplayTV Menu, Network and Input settings, choose the input you have set to be the satellite dish, then select serial with APG.
4. Save with these settings, let your ReplayTV reset. Turn it off and back on, and try changing channels from the channel grid. Then try scheduling a few test recordings.

When set right and the cable is connected right, it should change channels through the replayTV without rebooting the D10 receiver.

So I take it you didn't use the serial cable and adapter that came with your replayTv? You had to buy a different one?

-
Kev

If you have a ReplayTV 5504 chances are it's software has been updated and now when you go and look on setup screen it will now have an option for Serial APG, if it does select that and then use the serial to RJ11 (phonejack) that came with your replay or if you're like me you can buy one from radioshack if you lost yours. After that it should magically work.

Ah ok. Yea, I dont have a Replay5504. I've got a 4500 and one even a bit older. Both of my Replays do not have the Serial APG option, only IR Blaster and Serial. I tried again last night, went through everything and powered down the Replay. It still reboots the satelite box everytime i try and change the channel. arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. I guess this APG option is the missing link. Does this mean that 4500's wont work?

-
Kev

DNNA didn't update your software but NOT ALL HOPE IS LOST! There is a guy who made an adapter where you connect your RJ11 to Serial adapter from your directv reciever to the adapter to your ReplayTV and it apparently fixes it. It should, in theory, work for you the guy sells them for $35 + $5 shipping but it looks like it might be your only option. You can find more info here:
http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/TransMain.aspx

YOU ROCK! I'll get this thing and give it a shot. Whats funny is that i called ReplayTV technical support today and they were clueless that people were having problems with this. At least the girl i talked to. From what im reading on the internet, there are quite a few people with this same problem. From reading that link however, it sounds like they say the IR Blaster works, but is kinda quirky. I can't even get the IR Blaster to work on mine, otherwise i prolly would have settled for that. Oh well. I'll get this adapter and call it done.

Thanks HUGE,
Kev

DTV Doesn't have a clue either

I spent just under two hours on the phone on Friday trying to get this straightened out. After being a D* Customer for a little over six years, I upgraded my two receivers. The new receivers I upgraded to were both D10s. Everything with activation worked out perfectly and I was up and running in minutes. And all looked great... Until...

I tried to change a channel from my ReplayTV unit and nothing happened. I double-checked to be sure I was still set for serial mode, and I was. I called Replay, and they had nothing to say other than "well if it worked with the old receiver and not the new one, then the problem isn't with your Replay unit".

So I called D* and spent almost two hours talking to four different people, and nobody had any clue what the problem was. Finally I got to a lead supervisor, and explained the whole story again. He also had no clue what the problem was, but suggested that perhaps a different version of a new receiver would work. He offered to put a credit on my account for the two new receivers I bought, so that I could be satisfied that I didn't just waste a bunch of money, so I accepted that. Then he suggested that I do some research to look into what other new receivers would work.

Well thanks to this thread, I don't have to. Now I got two free upgrades to new D10 receivers, and with this $35 translator, I should be back in business!

THANK YOU!

help

Ok, when it comes to tech stuff I'm lost. :( I had to call my 16 yr old nephew and have explain how to hook up my Surround sound sytem with a VCR. With that said, I got DirecTV a couple weeks ago and bought a remote that my kid can use since the one that came with it was to complicated for her. Now I can't get it programed with the reciever :no . I can't find a code anywhere. I called DirecTV and they told me I was out of luck. Please some one tell me they know the code to program a new remote. I hope this wasn't answered in the previous post becuase all that stuff was :confused: Greek to me. I just need a number to punch into the remote to make it work.
Thanks

Chumley,

Unfortunatly i have no idea about how to get a new remote working. But using google.com, i would scour the internet looking for a solution. Thats what I did with my ReplayTV/D10 problems and I found answers.

-
Good luck!
Kev

Re: help

Thanks, I'm all googled out. I've used every search term I can think of. I looked at RCA's customer support pages and nothing there either. I'm going to call RCA when I get home. I doubt it will help but its all I can think of now. Do you guys know if there are any relatively inexpensive recievers I could buy that I could use different remotes with? Thanks again for any ideas.

I think ValueElectronics.com has some older Hughes recievers which might work with more Universal Remotes since they've been around longer. That's the only problem with the D10, since it's newer not many remotes have support for it (or at least I don't know of any that do, all the remotes I have (even an All for One I bought 4 months ago) don't work with it.

Re

Thanks, I may check into that. So I assume that the problem is not just finding the right code and if I were to come across a code it is likely that the remote wouldn't work anyway? Like I said a techie I ain't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts