DirecTV drops its last 3D channel!! Shoot!!

I have to admit I have 3DTV's in my living room and master bedroom, but have never used the feature. The glasses are still in the packaging in my office. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one. 3D was cool in the theaters for a couple movies, but mostly ended up being a disappointment. I think the TV networks and maybe even the theaters are moving past 3D and focusing on 4K. Just my 2 cents.

On a positive note, I think large screen 4Kcould save 3D, because then you can use passive glasses, have a large field of view, and not see pixels.

Just watched a dozen previews of new movies coming out. Every one was advertised as either Real 3D or IMAX 3D or both. I doubt theaters are moving into the past by dropping 3D. They have had a resurgence in revenue growth because of 3D over the past 4 years. 3D option to watch is becoming the optional choice for same title, just as IMAX format screen also is an option. Choice is good.

The only people I ever hear complain about the glasses are posters on these forums. Never hear anyone at the theaters complain about the glasses. Only people who pooh pooh 3D in the home seem to be those who haven't seen it on their 3D TV or those who don't even have a 3DTV.

Large screen 3D definitely enhances the 3D effect. But sitting closer to a small screen will also work. Unfortunately, to get a good 3D that is truly large screen, 100" or more wide, you need a projector and these are all active glasses. A few passive systems are out but they suffer in picture quality. 3D doesn't need saving.

As for TV channels, the offering by Comcast is quite good. Netflix also has a bunch of 3D programs, and Amazon just started offering titles. Vudu has some great titles but since many were released first on Vudu, before even blu Ray release, the price is high.

To get what 3Net offered, you can still find these programs such as the 3D Red Bull sports documentaries on your PS3 on the Sony channel, some free, some costly. I have quite a few 3D downloads from the Sony Channel.

As for DirecTV itself, I worry it may soon die. Let's see if the M&A goes through. I suspect that once they become private, or bought out they will whither and die, unable to grow enough to keep new programming coming.

Reactions: dfergie
The only channels I could see right now making a go out of 3D would be someone like HBO. They certainly could come up with enough 3D movies to fill the space.

55" OLED drops 75%

Onkyo Mid-Priced THX Receivers Due Out in May

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)