Directv Going To Lease Only On 3/1/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The cable company here is jumping all over this with commercials slamming Satellite. "AT least 150 dollars more expensive than cable"

been a while since this thread's been touched :

I wrote to DTV and asked specifically what if I bought from valueelectronics and ebay
----
2 questions

1. if I buy an HDtivo from www.valueelectronics.com, will that be a lease or a ownership of the unit.

2. how about if I buy from Ebay.com?
------------

Dear Mr. ,

Thanks for writing. If you will purchase a receiver from ypour local electrnics retailer, upon activation it will be tagged as an owned equipment.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV’s will still apply. Please check our web site DIRECTV.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

----
That's enough for me to spend X dollars to own one from a 'local' dealer as she said in the email. I feel that I have relied on her in writing and that my new tivo would be owned.

scotsmanron said:
Then what is the difference between a "local retailer" and BestBuy, where the ads distinctly say lease?

Good question? All the advertising is ads such as Best Buy and such all advertise "Lease"

end of story

Prior to buying $398 newegg HDtivo, i emailed directv and asked if it would be owned or leased. They said owned, in writing. Called tonight to activate it (via my superspecial toll free number of course). the dude asked how much I paid. I said what difference does that make? I guess I could have lied and said 800 since he told me I needed to pay that much for an owned receiver and if it was only 400 then it's leased. (this appears to be another trick to getting owned...say you paid 800)

But instead I reiterated that I emailed 2 online retailers AND DTV and they all said owned. He then transferred me to (I assume) the access card dept, since that's what i said he should do. Then she started in with the lease etc and I had to retell the story again. As soon as she heard the word ONLINE purchase, she changed her tone immediately and said she'd change it to owned right away and thanked me for being 'the best customer' and she was glad she could help me.

So the key word appears to be 'online.' Good luck everyone and make sure you write down days/times you call and who you talked to.

geez just checked online bill and it's leased...time to raise some hell i guess

Last edited:
i do wonder what would have happened if i said i paid 800 for this and dont own it? He did say that he doesn't know of any retailers set up to do this and i think i know why. They dont have to. If newegg, valueelectronics, weakness can sell for 400-500 and it still be owned, they must be making something still and we still benefit (from owning too)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)