Directv HD Dish convert for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, that is a lot of good information that will help on my next attempt. You are correct, I did not wait, I moved the dish expecting to see a bump in Q, but it never budged. The next thing I did wrong was to try and point the dish directly at the point in the shy that the compass showed. I set the angle per the gauge built into the Slimline. The only dish I every pointed previous to this one was a 40" round Fortec dish. So what side of the dish should I be pointing where? If it does not point directly at the satellite, where does it point? Also, the dish can turn on an axis, so it can angle in either direction, or you can square it off.

I saw the receiver mentioned above for $88.00 and free delivery, and it has DVR abilities, so I might get it if I can ge this dish pointed correctly.

I guess there is no substitute for experience when it comes to dish pointing.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Sorry, I think I confused you a little. The dish [azimuth-left/right] will point directly at the satellite, just on a offset dish, with the LNB on a arm at the bottom of the dish verses a prime focus dish with the LNB mounted on rods in the center of the dish, the signal comes in at an angle higher and the dish will look like it's aimed at a spot lower than what it actually is, elevation-wise, up/down. So if the dish looks like it's pointing into trees, it might still be all right because the signal comes in at a much sharper angle and not directly straight into the dish. I think a 40'' Fortec is offset and would be the same as the Slimline in the sense of setting it up, not 100% percent sure because I've never had a Fortec dish, yet. :biggrin

One thing I forgot to mention is to check if your mounting pole is plumb all around. On a fixed dish, if it isn't, you can still set it up but it's much harder if it's not plumb. You can use a level, or an angle scale like this if you have one, this is what I use:

Amazon product ASIN B00004T807
But a level will also work fine, put it on all four sides of the pole and make sure it's not leaning one way or the other, if it isn't plumb, adjust it so it's plumb and it'll be much easier to setup.

I think you probably were going about it right, maybe just moved the dish too quickly. Set the elevation of the dish [the scale on the side of the dish mount] to the elevation setting from Dishpointer. Entering just Florida for a location on Dishpointer, I get 53.4 degrees for 97W, which may be a little different from what you get when you enter your exact address.

Looking at Dishpointer, it says a skew of 27 degrees for Florida on 97W. If your dish is like mine, standing behind the dish and looking at the back of it, on the piece bolted directly to the dish, you should see a scale and three bolts that you can loosen and adjust the skew by turning the dish [not moving the whole dish and mount, only rotating the dish and LNB arm, nothing else!. 90 is the zero point, here in Ct the skew for 97W is 24 degrees, the optimum for my dish was 78 degrees, so 27 would probably be around 75 or so on the scale.

Then with the dish loose on the mounting pole, just move the whole dish and mount left/right to the azimuth setting from Dishpointer, I get 210.8 degrees true and 216.6 degrees magnetic for azimuth by entering just Florida for a location on 97W. Again, you'll have different numbers when you enter your exact location. Point the LNB straight at that point, using a compass, the magnetic azimuth number should be closest.

If your Slimline is like mine here with an adjuster bolt on the bottom of the mount for fine tuning the azimuth, you can lock the dish down tight onto the mounting pole at this point and then use the adjuster to move it back and forth to try and find the sat. I'm not sure if all Slimline dishes have them, but mine has a adjuster bolt for fine tuning azimuth and one for elevation and it makes it real nice for setting up. If yours doesn't have the adjuster bolts then you'll have to snug things up but leave everything loose enough to move it to try to lock the sat. I'll try to post up a few pictures tomorrow if I have the time, so you can see what I'm talking about better and see if your dish is the same as mine is.

Sometimes when you tighten the dish down onto the pole it'll knock elevation and stuff off a little too.

Once you're at this point, probably make some marks with a marker on the adjusters, or the elevation scale and mounting pole if your dish doesn't have the adjusters, so you can return to the starting point if you need to and then just try moving it a little bit at a time on the azimuth and/or elevation to try to lock it in. The position of your LNB could throw you off too, but if you got it where the original one was, nice and straight and at the same depth away from the dish, I would think you should be all right with that.

Is there a forum I could post for anyone who knows if there is anywhere close to me in Florida where I could buy a bigger dish, say 40"? The shipping on a new one is the deal breaker. Unless one of you know of a place that has really reasonable prices on the bigger dish and shipping?

I have the tools to make sure the dish is plumb, and by the look of that one site, it appears that my neighbor is not close enough for his bush to block my view of Galaxy 19.
Is galaxy 19 the best sat for movies, and non-religious English programs? I know that if I get the HD receiver, PBS is in the clear, but I;m not sure if I can find any major network besides PBS on a satellite.

Yes, my SlimLine is exactly as you said, it has adjusting screws for find adjustment. I used the markings on the dish to set the angle,, but if I wanted to check it, could I put a flat object across the face of the dish and check the angle on top of that?

Putting a straight edge on the dish is going to be off from the scale by about 23 degrees.

The english channels are all over the place on ku, a motor is a good idea.

If my memory serves correctly, I think you can get the Geosat Pro 90cm (36") with a lnb for $99 on fleabay with free shipping. I might be wrong, as I have been before.

Make sure you have place to install where you have a clear view of the arc, or at least to the satellites you want to watch. Then later if you find you enjoy it and it is fitting your wants and desires, then add a motor. A motor brings a whole other world of value to the dish.

Is there a forum I could post for anyone who knows if there is anywhere close to me in Florida where I could buy a bigger dish, say 40"? The shipping on a new one is the deal breaker. Unless one of you know of a place that has really reasonable prices on the bigger dish and shipping?

I have the tools to make sure the dish is plumb, and by the look of that one site, it appears that my neighbor is not close enough for his bush to block my view of Galaxy 19.
Is galaxy 19 the best sat for movies, and non-religious English programs? I know that if I get the HD receiver, PBS is in the clear, but I;m not sure if I can find any major network besides PBS on a satellite.

Yes, my SlimLine is exactly as you said, it has adjusting screws for find adjustment. I used the markings on the dish to set the angle,, but if I wanted to check it, could I put a flat object across the face of the dish and check the angle on top of that?

I don't know about a 40'' dish, but the Geosat Pro 36''/90cm dish that others mentioned in the posts above is a good one for Ku. $99 and free shipping in the link FTA4PA posted up, it's also available on Amazon for $125 and free shipping. You could keep an eye out on Craigslist too, we have a running thread of dishes available on Craigslist here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...shes-for-you-to-take-a-look-at.327363/page-85

As far as movies on Ku, I have seen English movies on KTV2 on 97W and series shows like Frasier, there's also garbage on it too though. I'm not big on watching movies, so that's a tough one for me to answer. I have a Slimline dish on 97W for KTV, Russia Today, RTVN and REVN, a 18''X22'' dish on 95W for CCTV, a 30'' on 87W for the PBS there, a 18''X22 motorized for the occasional ITC Direct and Dish stuff, a 30'' on a unlisted ITC channel I can't list here in this forum and another Slimline and two small dishes that I move around/play around with, and then two C band dishes. I watch a lot more on my C band dishes than I do the Ku ones, maybe someone else knows where there might be movies a lot and might post something up, or you could look through the lists on Sathint.com and Lyngsat.com for networks. Sathint and Lyngsat aren't the most up to date listings, but for me, Sathint is the easiest to use. This next site is kept up to date and probably is the best of them but, it might sound silly, I don't use it much because the colors on it hurt my eyes after looking at it for a while:

global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html

Like someone mentioned above, putting something flat across the face of the dish and checking the angle there will be off by 20 or so degrees. On my Slimlines, if I put my angle locator right onto the feed arm itself, it's close, it's about 3 or 4 degrees off there.

If you do get a bigger dish, hold onto the Slimline still, you may want to try it again once you're more familiar with setting dishes up! Years ago, a friend had given me some dishes [4 or 5 of them] before I'd gotten into FTA, cause I'd wanted to try my hand at FTA. I'm pretty sure they were Primestar dishes, they were decent size. They hung around forever and then I'd eventually given them away to someone else that was interested in FTA. When I set up my first dish a few years ago, a 30'', I had a hell of a hard time, a lot of people on here helped me out. But now, it's pretty much as easy as eating cake for me and I still have the mount from one of those Primestar dishes here, every time I move the thing to get to something else I say to myself, why did I give them away!? :eek:

If you do try the slimline later, try modifying the lnb. A normal FTA lnb only "sees" a circular area, so effectively the slimline is the equivalent of about a 22" round dish, unless you modify the feed horn. I saw significant improvements with minimal work trimming the lnb feed horn with a directv slimline:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...o-shaw-subscription-dish.342069/#post-3530901

Brian

Edit:

just reread the thread and realized that you used the directv feed horn. Do you have any pics?

The modification of the DirecTv lnb was a bust. I have a PLL lnb in an LNB bracket that I will attach the the DirecTV. I now have the Amiko HD mini receiver, and I plan to use it on my next test.

One thing I learned today was that Silicon Dust, maker of the HomeRun, is going to make a FTA device. So if I understand what they plan to do, they plan to make a FTA HomeRun. I like the ATSC Homerun I have now, it is very nice ,and I record a lot of prime time HD TV from all the major networks via a Tv yagi I installed on my Ham tower. I used a rotor to find an optimal direction, and there was only one place for that yagi to point to get all the desired channels. It ended up that the antenna had to pint at the stations that were the furthest. The ones that are closer, but in an opposite direction were easy to get no matter which way the yagi pointed, so pointing away from them to reach the far stations worked in my favor. All channels are solid, and the picture is better than what I got from DirecTV.

I backed up the Amiko last night, and after I get done with some other things today, I will get some time to test the Amiko on my new LNB.

Reactions: . Raine
OK, the Amiko is much different from the old Pansat 3500. Can someone clue me in on settings for 97W? I have a PLL LNB, and I have my GPS coordinates. I am stumped as to what some of the settings would be. A picture of your 97W setup screen would be most helpful.

I tried to apply the same settings as the Pansat, but I must be doing something wrong.

OK, the Amiko is much different from the old Pansat 3500. Can someone clue me in on settings for 97W? I have a PLL LNB, and I have my GPS coordinates. I am stumped as to what some of the settings would be. A picture of your 97W setup screen would be most helpful.

I tried to apply the same settings as the Pansat, but I must be doing something wrong.
Here are some screenshots:

Amiko Satellite Menu 97W
97WAmiko.JPG

LNB Settings for 97W (Use arrow keys and press OK access the settings)
97WAmikoLNB.JPG

Next USALS and USALS Settings (Again, use arrow keys and press OK to access the settings)
97WAmikoUSALS.JPG 97WAmikoUSALS_Settings.JPG

You will of course need to enter your own values for lnb type, latitude and longitude. I am also using a 22KHz switch which you may not have. Press menu when done to save settings and return to previous screen. :)

I tried the calculator, and entered my data, and inserted 97.0 for the satellite So I must have done it wrong, since if I aim my dish the way it suggested, I would have to aim is south east, It did say the angle was 53 degrees, and that matched some other data I had. What I was not sure of, is if the slimline is and offset dish, would that angle be for a normal dish that is not offset? If there some way to get the proper angle from that?

What I am sure of is that the satellite in in the west. The slimline can rotate, should it be center, or should I turn it in some way?

I think that my neighbors tree might be in the way, but I can't be sure. My LNb is this View attachment 105815
Since that LNB is universal, make sure you have the lnb set for universal, first frequency 9750, second frequency 10600.
This how the lnb sits on the dish. Maybe it is not aiming at the dish properly?
Not much you can do if its the neighbor's tree unless you are on good terms with them. If you think the lnb may not be pointing properly, here is a thread from a member who did the slimline conversion. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3310163/

I tried the calculator, and entered my data, and inserted 97.0 for the satellite So I must have done it wrong, since if I aim my dish the way it suggested, I would have to aim is south east, It did say the angle was 53 degrees, and that matched some other data I had.
Here is the info Dishpointer.com provides for your location (using a compass):

Galaxy 19 (97W)

Elevation: 53.1°
Azimuth (true): 213.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 219.9° < Use this for compass
LNB Skew: 29.3° counter-clockwise while facing dish

Last edited:
This how the lnb sits on the dish. Maybe it is not aiming at the dish properly?

To me it looks like the lnbf is aiming low on the dish. I have two DTV converted dishes. I started off by taking measurements of where the middle lnbf was oriented. Then I tweeked for Q from there. The key is your lnbf should point to where the factory lnbf was pointing originally. Mine looks like the sweet spot is roughly in the middle. Mine is not a Slimline so I can't say 100%.

85801-2cfd314a5888feb8884c7d7b66903e97.jpg

85802-869cfc937bf98e59db8329504c65ce00.jpg

Last edited:
I agree you are aimed to low with the LNBF. Also your LNBF is not skewed. Go with the info FTA4PA provided above and make sure to skew that LNBF.

Reactions: fred555
I agree you are aimed to low with the LNBF. Also your LNBF is not skewed. Go with the info FTA4PA provided above and make sure to skew that LNBF.
Good eyes Michael, I am noticing the lack of skew now.
Also in my picture the entire dish is skewed with the lnbf set at 0 degrees, in case anyone
gets confused.

Myself personally, I like a bigger dish; like 120 cm. (from Glorystar forum) or even bigger; like a 12 footer; to get those 97W signals. It adds channels too many miss.

You could point that 24" dish using upside down and sideways to get the same channel list; by skewing; of course; how you can; just no plastic. The skew has to be applied to the dishes aimed point; the dish is upside down; and it holds water in the dish; instead of the lnbf placed onto it also (that way it is mounted upside down instead of the way fred555 pictured; but the lnbf will hold water in the pictured) !

I have a collection of wildblue dishes; interesting...can ship to FL. here in the North; the lnbf face; or covered call of the wild; gets filled with water because of the dishes offset angle is not made for "straight vertical mount piping"; because the cover on it wears out; and fills with water (my old .7 db bit the dust after i moved to OR.). It is FTA, and any plate dish with lnbf linear big enuf; will work better upsidedown and skewered too.only with a larger off-setted dish; pictured only upside down and workin'...oh, you have to understand (it is easy to mount the dish upside down; and watch only on FTA; i have mounted inside to look out windows, too; lookin' 35.00 raspberry pie2 my link is kidding, i hope i get any tricks, instead

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts