Directv HDMI Direct to Tv or via Receiver????

asreremd

Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Illinois
I have a Pioneer 1080p plasma (great set). I am thinking about buying a new receiver to take advantage of the newer audio available with my Blue Ray Player. I also have Directv. When I get a new receiver should I connect it via HDMI so the receiver can "upscale and deinterlace" the 1080i, 720p and 480 signals from Directv or should i simply connect the Directv via HDMI to the TV and run a digital audio cable to the receiver? Forgetting the audio, in short, should I let the AV receiver (probably a new Yamaha) upscale the video to 1080p or let the TV itself do the upscaling?

I'm very confused. Thanks

t I prefer separate inputs on the TV for Satellite and Blu ray. Reason being that they are 2 different sources and IMO they project a different picture needing different settings. You need to use HDMI with the Blu ray to get the advanced lossless audio

I don't think separate inputs are necessary. Set up the receiver to optimize the Blu-Ray and run the DTV through the receiver HDMI as well. I have never seen a problem with the receiver upconversion in either Denons or Onkyos. I don't know about Yamahas. My general advice is to try it and decide. You should be able to hook both outputs and then switch back and forth from the TV input selector. I expect you will see little to no difference.

If the difference is minor, consider the additional convenience of doing one stop switching of both audio and video from the receiver.

Welcome to the forum, asreremd!

Others have already answered your question, but just to clarify: you should definitly connect your Blu-ray player to your receiver via HDMI. This is the only way you can take full advantage of the new advanced audio formats offered by Blu-ray.

As for your DirecTV, the answer is not so definite. Many prefer to connect everything via the receiver, just for convenience, if nothing else. I would recommend you experiment with different connection scenarios (including component cables too!) and see for yourself wich works best in your setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)