DIRECTV Offers Advanced Screening of Feature-Length Motion Picture 'The Burning Plain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Academy Award Winners Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger Star in 'The Burning Plain,' Available to DIRECTV Customers in Crystal-Clear HD Weeks Before it Hits Theaters

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Aug 05, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- For the first time, DIRECTV Cinema(TM), the ultimate movie platform, will screena Hollywood feature-length film to DIRECTV customers nationwide before its theatrical release date. Beginning Aug. 21, customers will have access to "The Burning Plain," starring Academy Award winners Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger, and directed by Guillermo Arriaga, the Academy Award-nominated writer of "21 Grams" and "Babel."
"The Burning Plain," a powerful and multifaceted drama about love, forgiveness and redemption, debuts in theaters Sept. 17 but will be available for an advance screening on DIRECTV Cinema from Aug. 21 to Sept. 16 - nearly a month before its theatrical release. The movie will be available in 1080p HD (same as Blu-ray) or standard-definition (SD) for as low as $9.99 (SD).
"DIRECTV customers have always enjoyed the convenience of ordering new release movies from the comfort of their home with the touch of a remote," said Sarah Lyons, vice president of Marketing for DIRECTV. "But now, we are going one giant step further and giving them an advance look at a feature-length film before it even hits theaters; it's the ultimate home theater viewing. We look forward to continuing to enhance our platform and deliver compelling programming that can't be found anywhere else."
For more information on the movies available on DIRECTV Cinema please visit DIRECTV.com/cinema.

About DIRECTV
DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV), the nation's No. 1 satellite television service, presents the finest television experience available to more than 18 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed all national cable companies for nine years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.

CT

SOURCE: DIRECTV Investor Relations
DIRECTV, INC.
Jade Ekstedt

if its $9.99 for SD, can't imagine the price for HD.

if its $9.99 for SD, can't imagine the price for HD.

Hey, first to view has a cost. I would expect the HD version price will only be a couple dollars more at most. A couple of tickets to any theater where I live will cost between $15-$18 plus popcorn. IF a person wanted to see this picture, sounds like a bargain to me.

Gutsy move by Hollywood though as there are bound to be more knockoff artists that will copy the movie and pass it around before the theater release. Even I could make a s-video copy. Or I could use my old Tivo Series II and transfer it directly to a DVD.

Last edited:
Good for DirecTv! Either Hollywood is opening up a little, or they already know this movie will tank at the box office anyway.

Good for DirecTv! Either Hollywood is opening up a little, or they already know this movie will tank at the box office anyway.

I think Hollywood want to see in cash they can. You can only make so many $50-100 Million dollar budget films that pull in 15-25 million at the box office.

HDNet...Free viewing

Im sure Ive seen movies on HD net before it was nationaly released?

Direc should give a ''free'' viewing like HD Net.

Yes, I know its all about the mighty buck...but would be a great move to show it for free.

Scott--your headline on front page should be "The Burning Plain" ---not "The Burning Man."

11 bucks to watch a movie once? its cheaper at the theater!

It's cheaper for one person to watch it at the theater. This does not hold if you have a few people watching it at home (for one price) versus the theater where everyone is charged separately.

The HD Net Movies that show before theatrical release are from Magnolia Pictures, which I believe is owned by Mark Cuban. Mark has a lot more leeway to do as he wishes with his own movies, of course.

I would love to see more theatrical premieres available via DirecTV because it is less expensive versus the theather, I know I will get a good seat and the popcorn might be less than $5 per ounce.

It said available in 1080P or SD.

btw, if you have a DVR, is it only available to you for 24 hours still ?

A 24-hour limit is probable, but they are positioning this as an alternative to a trip to a theater (which has a built-in time restriction) as opposed to a rental.

It's cheaper for one person to watch it at the theater. This does not hold if you have a few people watching it at home (for one price) versus the theater where everyone is charged separately.

The HD Net Movies that show before theatrical release are from Magnolia Pictures, which I believe is owned by Mark Cuban. Mark has a lot more leeway to do as he wishes with his own movies, of course.

I would love to see more theatrical premieres available via DirecTV because it is less expensive versus the theather, I know I will get a good seat and the popcorn might be less than $5 per ounce.

Hmm, fair enough. However, I would think that direc has more money, meaning more flexibility?

Well it is cheaper than the movies. Also the HD net movies were aweful.
Maybe thats why we got the sneak preview. That said I love seeing it free before its release.

Too cool!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts