Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this in my inbox. :) Of course SatelliteGuys.US will BE THERE!

blur.gif

DIRECTV® to revolutionize in-home digital entertainment

DIRECTV®, provider of the ultimate digital television entertainment experience in the United States and a leader in HD programming and DVRs, will announce a new partnership designed to greatly enhance our customers’ viewing experience. Together with our advanced products, services and new original programming, DIRECTV® is revolutionizing in-home digital entertainment.

Join us at our press conference:
Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006
6:30 p.m.
Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall 1, Booth #20950
Cocktails and Hors d’oeuvres

For details, or to schedule an executive interview, please contact Elizabeth Owen at
949-809-6734 or Jade Ekstedt at 310-964-3429.

I hope this big announcement is for something coming soon vs. in 2007 when D10 and D11 are up we'll be able to do XXX national HD channels. I want to see an annoucmenent that will make Charlie and company sit down and think how the heck are we going to match that???

I wonder who they are trying to smooch up to now??? RONTGLMAO.... Partnering, to D* simply means they want to steal their technology, and then dump them, like they did the folks at Tivo!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor Bob said:
I wonder who they are trying to smooch up to now??? RONTGLMAO.... Partnering, to D* simply means they want to steal their technology, and then dump them, like they did the folks at Tivo!!!
:rolleyes: how did directv steal there technology? Partnering, to D* simply means that you get access to over 15 MILLION DIRECTV subs and that is a great thing, with out DIRECTV tivo would have died A LONG TIME AGO!!!!

slacker9876 said:
That would be nice. I would say this is actually a response to pockt dish for starters.

My guess is that the announcement will be about joining/supporting the MOCA group. With any luck, D* will announce updated launch dates for the HMC and MRV features in existing hardware.

Maybe just maybe a PSP partnership but that may fall through if you catch my drift.:D

Edit...Just to clarify this I'm only saying that DirecTV is considering a partnership with Sony for the PSP but it seems like this deal may fall because DirecTV still wants to keep most of everything in house. That isn't saying that DirecTV won't support a customer using a sony PSP to playback shows with but Sony would have to support the copying of shows from DirecTV. DirecTV will allow other companies to add support for playback of DirecTV DVR recorded shows only if they support the DRM to protect the shows. I'm not sure what DRM will need to be supported and how it will be done but we should find out soon enough. Also expect MRV and HD DVR/HMC news updates as well.

Last edited:
rad said:
I hope this big announcement is for something coming soon vs. in 2007 when D10 and D11 are up we'll be able to do XXX national HD channels. I want to see an annoucmenent that will make Charlie and company sit down and think how the heck are we going to match that???

two trains of thought working here,

i was hoping for well maybe ,,, k. rupert has been toying with ergen for soooo long now,, maybe he is ready to finally stomp on his jugular until echostar finally keels over from the onslaught.

oh well us directv techs can dream :devil:

11.4 million conversions:hungry: $$$$$$:)

LonghornXP said:
I'm not sure what DRM will need to be supported and how it will be done but we should find out soon enough. Also expect MRV and HD DVR/HMC news updates as well.
--------
Oh joy...can we expect another stealth attack of DRM from Sony like we just saw
with the BMG music division??? No thanks!!!:(

moonman said:
--------
Oh joy...can we expect another stealth attack of DRM from Sony like we just saw
with the BMG music division??? No thanks!!!:(

No that won't be a problem bud. From what I'm hearing is that the drm will be from Microsoft and will be the "janus" drm which is currently used for the plays for sure video players. Just think of it as Napster To Go with a janus supported player such as an iRiver video player. Its nothing special but it must support mobile DRM protection which in turn would keep the content from being copied off of the player and re-encoded. Now even if you cancel DirecTV service you can keep those files forever and you can copy them off the player onto your computer for backup. The DRM will only allow you to play the video back but will stop you from doing any altering of the file.

Because of this its a very good chance that all PlaysForSure subscription video players will be supported with this. What is unknown is if DirecTV might stop other players from support if they get a better exclusive deal with one specific company such as a Sony but I doubt that would happen.

The only problem I have is that I can't say never when it comes to these things if you know what I mean.

How bout changing fonts

Doctor Bob said:

Why is it that you need this big font?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)