DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You must of missed this part-

Peacock will also get an extra eight Big Ten football games each season.

As in only on Peacock.
I am NOT so sure of that portion ....

I doubt you'll see the Top teams in the conference playing on Streaming Only.

I doubt you'll see any of them on Streaming ONLY any time soon, but well see.

Being a Buckeye fan, when they come out and say, "Our game against Michigan is going to be on Streaming Only" will be the day that everything falls apart with this world ....

I don't see Alabama contract stating that thier games won't be on Traditional TV ....
When Bama agrees to Streaming only and throws thier Fan Base under the Bus, then its time to move on.

The Top Teams in the Country are not going to throw thier Fan Base out the door and say "You can't watch this week."

Again, if they end up on Streaming as well as Traditional I'm fine with that.

Did you happen to see the UPROAR last year when a meaningless ND vs Toledo game was on Peacock only ?

It was bad, like 20 % of thier fan base could see the game or knew HOW to see thier game.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ.
I am NOT so sure of that portion ....

I doubt you'll see the Top teams in the conference playing on Streaming Only.

IU doubt you'll see any of them on Streaming ONLY any time soon, but well see.

Like I said, this is the start, roughly 3 years ago, you had to have a Traditional TV Service to get Sports, now look at what is happening in such a short time period.

That is why I said 3-5 years, during that time, contracts will expire with Traditional Channels ( like ESPN deal with BIG TEN), streaming companies are tossing money out for these new deals.

Wait till Apple and Amazon go crazy with these deals, they are the 2 companies with the most cash on hand and, unlike Peacock and NBC, they do not have a Traditional TV Channel, so all their deals will be streaming only like Thursday Night Football nationwide.
Did you happen to see the UPROAR last year when a meaningless ND vs Toledo game was on Peacock only ?

It was bad, like 20 % of thier fan base could see the game or knew HOW to see thier game.
What is that, like 4 people.

Like I said, this is the start, roughly 3 years ago, you had to have a Traditional TV Service to get Sports, now look at what is happening in such a short time period.

That is why I said 3-5 years, during that time, contracts will expire with Traditional Channels ( like ESPN deal with BIG TEN), streaming companies are tossing money out for these new deals.

Wait till Apple and Amazon go crazy with these deals, they are the 2 companies with the most cash on hand and, unlike Peacock and NBC, they do not have a Traditional TV Channel, so all their deals will be streaming only like Thursday Night Football nationwide.

What is that, like 4 people.
Notre Dame Football ???? 4 People ????
Are you serious ?

I was speaking of Toledo, I went to Eastern Michigan.
I was referring to ND, they were playing Toledo ....
As a ND fan, most could not watch the game or didn't know how to watch it.
I had people coming into the store asking how to watch the game ...

The 2. Ohio State vs 5. Notre Dame when asked how do I watch it, you get this :

What TV channel is Notre Dame vs. Ohio State on?​

Notre Dame vs. Ohio State will air on ABC.

How can I stream Notre Dame vs. Ohio State live?​

You can stream the game live on ABC.com, the ABC app, ESPN.com and the ESPN app.

Notice, its on Traditional TV and is also being Streamed ....

Not, its on STREAMING ABC and you might be able to watch on your TV as well.

Reactions: AZ.
I was referring to ND, they were playing Toledo ....
As a ND fan, most could not watch the game or didn't know how to watch it.
I had people coming into the store asking how to watch the game ...
Considering that Peacock only has about 13 million paying subscribers, no surprise no one knows about it.

The rest of their subscriber count is Comcast/Charter customers, does not mean they watch it, it is always a better metric to go by those who pay.

Considering that Peacock only has about 13 million paying subscribers, no surprise no one knows about it.

The rest of their subscriber count is Comcast/Charter customers, does not mean they watch it, it is always a better metric to go by those who pay.
While I agree about using the customer count, however, then your looking at how many watch, but how many of them don't count at all because they are not Sports fans, so the percentage could still be skewed ...

It would be way more difficult to get an accurate count for any of these ...
How many Apple or Amazon people are not Sports or in this case Football fans.

The 2. Ohio State vs 5. Notre Dame when asked how do I watch it, you get this :

What TV channel is Notre Dame vs. Ohio State on?​

Notre Dame vs. Ohio State will air on ABC.

How can I stream Notre Dame vs. Ohio State live?​

You can stream the game live on ABC.com, the ABC app, ESPN.com and the ESPN app.

Notice, its on Traditional TV and is also being Streamed ....

Not, its on STREAMING ABC and you might be able to watch on your TV as well.
New deal is for next year, I already showed you that some games will be streaming only, not all.

Again, this is the beginning of the change over.

Actually, there are more college sports on linear TV today than every before, and yet more will be there in the future.

Streaming college sports really has three elements, none really significant.

- Three, Fox being the exception for the most part, of the big sports linear TV conglomerates, toss their linear feeds up on their pay websites (ESPN+, Paramount, Peacock). In other words, you are paying twice for the same thing.

- The networks, ESPN for the main part, sign deals with conferences, providing them with oodles of games. So some crap games in football and basketball end up on ESPN+. More or less if you want to watch Clemson, that’s on ABC or ESPN. If you want to watch Georgia Tech, that is probably on ESPN+. Also, they get the rights to all of the non-revenue sports. So you can get soccer or baseball or volleyball and the like, produced by students with student announcers and student level quality, on ESPN+.

- ESPN tosses a few crumbs to the lesser conference. So it will show a handful of games from things like the Sun Belt or the MAC on real TV, and toss the rest up, again student produced, on ESPN+. So if you really want to watch Central Michigan play Ball State, you can. Which is not a bad thing. But Michigan is playing Ohio State on linear TV at the same time.

Just look at the (wonderful, thanks Matt) mattsarz website, which he archives back for as long as he has done it. You will find more games on linear TV this year than ever before. You will also find more on streaming. These are not contradictory stats.

If you consider Alabama-Auburn and Nevada (Reno) -Colorado State to be interchangable.

Anyway, no glitches reported on the commercial side as DirecTV got the job done with its first TNF feed, serving a segment where the internet just cannot.

Reactions: Mr Tony and Jimbo
Actually, there are more college sports on linear TV today than every before, and yet more will be there in the future.
And there is more streaming then ever before, if you compare that to just a few years ago where it was primarily on Traditional TV and their TV Everywhere apps, it is really growing on Streaming Services.
- Three, Fox being the exception for the most part, of the big sports linear TV conglomerates, toss their linear feeds up on their pay websites (ESPN+, Paramount, Peacock). In other words, you are paying twice for the same thing.
Considering that now almost half of U.S. Households do not have a Live TV Service, you are only paying twice if you wish to, but this is good for those who do not have or leaving a Traditional Provider ( now at 2 million a quarter leaving).
- The networks, ESPN for the main part, sign deals with conferences, providing them with oodles of games. So some crap games in football and basketball end up on ESPN+. More or less if you want to watch Clemson, that’s on ABC or ESPN. If you want to watch Georgia Tech, that is probably on ESPN+. Also, they get the rights to all of the non-revenue sports. So you can get soccer or baseball or volleyball and the like, produced by students with student announcers and student level quality, on ESPN+.
I have reading more about this deal on reddit, ESPN/ABC wanted to keep Big Ten but could not afford to, that 7 Billion was way more then what ESPN offered.

This is not good for Rights fees in general, now all of them are going to be wanting big increases based on this and that will affect ESPN the most since the revenue they take in is getting less and less every quarter.
- ESPN tosses a few crumbs to the lesser conference. So it will show a handful of games from things like the Sun Belt or the MAC on real TV, and toss the rest up, again student produced, on ESPN+. So if you really want to watch Central Michigan play Ball State, you can. Which is not a bad thing. But Michigan is playing Ohio State on linear TV at the same time.
ESPN+ is getting better, all NHL regular season games, a lot of MLB games, will have a NFL Game only on +, let see what they do for College Football this year.
Just look at the (wonderful, thanks Matt) mattsarz website, which he archives back for as long as he has done it. You will find more games on linear TV this year than ever before. You will also find more on streaming. These are not contradictory stats.
Never said it was, there is just a lot more on streaming when it was like zero just a few years ago on paid Streaming apps.
Anyway, no glitches reported on the commercial side as DirecTV got the job done with its first TNF feed, serving a segment where the internet just cannot.
No problems at Home either and the Video quality was the best I have seen for a NFL game, so much better then the fake 4K Fox puts out.

Reactions: meStevo
Considering that now almost half of U.S. Households do not have a Live TV Service, you are only paying twice if you wish to, but this is good for those who do not have or leaving a Traditional Provider ( now at 2 million a quarter leaving).
Unlike yourself, who has one. Again you are conflating leaving one pay service like cable for a different pay service like YouTube Live TV. That is still linear TV.
This is not good for Rights fees in general, now all of them are going to be wanting big increases based on this and that will affect ESPN the most since the revenue they take in is getting less and less every quarter.

Especially since ESPN+ ‘s next cent in profit will be its first.

Of course the same can be said of every streamer, save Netflix and Hulu, both of which are already past their glory days and their material gets redistributed.
ESPN+ is getting better, all NHL regular season games, a lot of MLB games, will have a NFL Game only on +, let see what they do for College Football this year.
Yes, buy we were talking about college sports. Often one camera and some kid announcing.

Which is not bad. Some people want to watch Louisiana Monroe play Arkansas State, which they could not before.

But don’t confuse it with what linear TV does.
No problems at Home either and the Video quality was the best I have seen for a NFL game, so much better then the fake 4K Fox puts out.
Dozens of reports of streaming problems on the internet this morning, including a pretty general one that the audio was 3 seconds ahead of the video.

Unlike yourself, who has one. Again you are conflating leaving one pay service like cable for a different pay service like YouTube Live TV. That is still linear TV.
Pay attention to what I wrote-

And yes, I consider YTTV a Live TV Service ( the only provider increasing in subscribers), so it is included in that total.

I have also said, once I can get Michigan Football and CNN ( or if the CBS/ABC News apps get a lot better) independent of a Live TV Service I will drop Live TV, everything else I can get via the streaming services and OTA.

This NBC/Peacock/Fox deal might get me half way there, either via Peacock and OTA.

The one thing I did notice is there was no mention of Big Ten games ( Football or Basketball) on Comcast’s Cable Channels, USA for example, just NBC and Peacock

After seeing the announcement about Directv and Amazon I expect Directv will be allowed to sell the Sunday Ticket to not only businesses but to residents as well. I think it's between Apple and Amazon now on who will get this. And Directv will work out a deal to continue to provide NFL Sunday Ticket to subs who want it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Reactions: SamCdbs
And there is more streaming then ever before, if you compare that to just a few years ago where it was primarily on Traditional TV and their TV Everywhere apps, it is really growing on Streaming Services.

I have reading more about this deal on reddit, ESPN/ABC wanted to keep Big Ten but could not afford to, that 7 Billion was way more then what ESPN offered.

Never said it was, there is just a lot more on streaming when it was like zero just a few years ago on paid Streaming apps.

Of course theres more games Streamed than ever before ...a) its still New to alot of people and b) There was Nothing on prior, so it has to be an increase ....

However, that doesn't mean that Traditional TV Football is no longer available.

Reactions: SamCdbs

Soooo, why didn't you just Stream the stuff you don't like coming from FOX game wise ?

After seeing the announcement about Directv and Amazon I expect Directv will be allowed to sell the Sunday Ticket to not only businesses but to residents as well. I think it's between Apple and Amazon now on who will get this. If I'm wrong I'm wrong
I hope your right :)
However, it's pretty much been a done deal that it will be Apple Or Amazon for quite awhile now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.