DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While Comcast's TV-customer losses accelerated this year, they're still only about half as large as the customer losses reported by DirecTV owner AT&T. Comcast is down to 20.4 million TV customers, which is higher than any other cable or satellite TV provider.Jul 30, 2020
And now-

Residential video subscribers declined by 540,000 in the period – more than the 484,000 and 497,000 it lost in Q1 and Q2, respectively. It's also significantly more than the 382,000 net residential video subs Comcast lost in the third quarter of 2021. Its residential video customer base now stands at about 15.97 million.

Umm..then howcome they have satellite dishes on the roof?
Well considering DirecTV used to have 21 Million Subs, Dish 13 million, they were just left there.

My old house in Michigan still had them after we switched to Comcast, when I had a new roof put on, they finally came down.

Same for the house here in Florida, had a Dish (Network) on the side when we bought it, took it down and used the mast for my antenna.

Well considering DirecTV used to have 21 Million Subs, Dish 13 million, they were just left there.

My old house in Michigan still had them after we switched to Comcast, when I had a new roof put on, they finally came down.

Same for the house here in Florida, had a Dish (Network) on the side when we bought it, took it down and used the mast for my antenna.
Same here. I have a pole mount for a dish at my house that I just havent bothered to remove. Dishes mounted at my office and my camp, neither of which have active service, and havent for years.

Ive just not found the time or a reason to remone them yet.

We've never used the dish attached to my house. Was there when we moved in, had already moved on from traditional providers, saving at least $150/mo for the last several years.

Adds up real quick.

Once Sunday Ticket is available that will be a drop in the bucket compared to what it would have cost me all this time just for the opportunity to be able to sub to it.

Reactions: Yespage and Ronnie-
I googled how many Rural households in the US and the answer came from the US Census.

If you have a better way or know the answer, go for it.
So you used the Census definition, which is based on county lines and CMSAs. Grossly off for this purpose. Of course the Census is about politics, not the TV business.

In the TV business, it is understood that there are millions of people that are outside the economic reality of internet or cable TV. It just is so. No amount of “googling” can replace that.

So you used the Census definition, which is based on county lines and CMSAs. Grossly off for this purpose. Of course the Census is about politics, not the TV business. In the TV business, it is understood that there are millions of people that are outside the economic reality of internet or cable TV. It just is so. No amount of “googling” can replace that.
he used the same website that told him about the 10 million sunday ticket subs

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs
So you used the Census definition, which is based on county lines and CMSAs. Grossly off for this purpose. Of course the Census is about politics, not the TV business.

In the TV business, it is understood that there are millions of people that are outside the economic reality of internet or cable TV. It just is so. No amount of “googling” can replace that.
Ok, how many do you consider rural, beyond the reach of broadband?

I bet you will not give a answer.

Reactions: meStevo
i know..i was on topic

The topic being the % of rural subs subscribe to Sunday Ticket, so nope, as usual your contribution does nothing to add to the thread but just the post count. Also something SamCdbs doesn't seem to want to answer either, and instead attack the definition of rural without actually providing what they consider their own - likely because of the difficulty of conceeding it doesn't matter and it remains a minority or rural subscribers regardless of how you argue the definition.

So basically yet another asinine argument by the detractors.

Ok, how many do you consider rural, beyond the reach of broadband?

I bet you will not give an answer.
You lose your bet. According to the FCC, 19M Americans, or 1 of 4 people living in rural areas, as the FCC defines that term (no one definition is more right than another, it depends on the context) do not have what is called “threshold” service, which isn’t enough to stream HD.

According to Microsoft, 15% have no internet access at all, 34% have less than 5Mbps and one out of two of all Americans, 157M people, do not have broadband which would allow multiple streams of HD video at the same time.

It’s just not ready for prime time.

Back to topic, yet another disaster level rating for TNF, to be fair against a rescheduled World Series game, of 3.69.

It is just not ready for prime time.

The continued delay in the NFL finding a partner is, IMHO, the two bidders realizing that most people can just figure it out with traditional channels and are fine with missing the stuff on streaming.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
You lose your bet. According to the FCC, 19M Americans, or 1 of 4 people living in rural areas, as the FCC defines that term (no one definition is more right than another, it depends on the context) do not have what is called “threshold” service, which isn’t enough to stream HD.
No link, what year was this?

Your Microsoft study is 2 years old also.

I will provide my own-

How many Households in the United States 2022-129 Million

How many Households subscribe to broadband-110 Million

That leaves 19 Million.

So at a 70 urban / 30 Rural split of 18 million Sat. TV subs, that is only 5.4 Million subs.

So I am correct, the vast majority of Rural homes or homes thst cannot get broadband do not have Sat. TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.