Directv14

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directvfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Virginia
Noticed the other day on the signal strength meter, the 99 satellite had more transponders added. Right now they are showing zeros. Does this mean the newest Directv satellite is operational?

It's in testing, so you will see changes on the signal strength screen. Are you seeing 99ca and 99cb?

Once your receiver gets a firmware update you'll see 99ca and 99cb. Right now there is a glitch in the existing firmware that is showing extra transponders on 99c with no signal.

DirecTV 14 is getting close to active use, likely only a few weeks or so at this point.

My HR24 has shown 99cb for several months, but I haven't participated in the CE programs in longer than that.

I just got word that DIRECTV is scheduled to fire up on the 20th, and the first transponders that will come online are scheduled to be 14,16,17,18,19, and 20. I am told that they will show at 99A.
99CA I think....there will also be two spotbeam TPs which will be added to the TP list at 99s...

If you are referring to Sixto's post at dbstalk, it says that D14 began commercial operations on January 26th.

Yep. It's an exciting time. I imagine that over this week we will see transponders light up one by one and we will at least get the data streams from bird, followed by video later on in the coming weeks. This bird is a bit more complicated with the RDBS payload. People over at the other site forget that and the majority of them are seeing phantom signals or no signals as the IRD software has yet to update for D14. Also, Local into Local transitions still need to happen from SW2 to D14 to allow better utilization with spots as D14 uses more of an efficient band plan and covers more according to previous press releases from Loral. I am sure that DirecTV will want to get those spot beams working from D14 to complete out coverage into every DMA. I am sure once that happens, there will be complaints about the spots being smaller from those who tailgate as they will will now be efficient. Also, SW2 has those odd transponders as it originally wasn't designed to do what it's doing today. With D11 and D14 in place in that slot they can carry the entire load of Ka hi and Ka low bands on spots and conus, and RDBS coming from D14., then I suspect that SW will be come an in orbit spare or go on to another mission.

Yep. It's an exciting time. I imagine that over this week we will see transponders light up one by one and we will at least get the data streams from bird, followed by video later on in the coming weeks. This bird is a bit more complicated with the RDBS payload. People over at the other site forget that and the majority of them are seeing phantom signals or no signals as the IRD software has yet to update for D14. Also, Local into Local transitions still need to happen from SW2 to D14 to allow better utilization with spots as D14 uses more of an efficient band plan and covers more according to previous press releases from Loral. I am sure that DirecTV will want to get those spot beams working from D14 to complete out coverage into every DMA. I am sure once that happens, there will be complaints about the spots being smaller from those who tailgate as they will will now be efficient. Also, SW2 has those odd transponders as it originally wasn't designed to do what it's doing today. With D11 and D14 in place in that slot they can carry the entire load of Ka hi and Ka low bands on spots and conus, and RDBS coming from D14., then I suspect that SW will be come an in orbit spare or go on to another mission.

Tell me more about shrinking spotbeams... I am "moved" and literally on the edge of the good-coverage Boston spotbeam area. I have 77-85 on those transponders, but have only experienced rain (snow) fade on a couple of the Boston channels once in 5 months. I would hate to get my real locals back... I get them all OTA and have them on my AM21 but there are so few of them. Paying for something I get for free is not something I want to be a part of. I can justify paying for the Boston locals because they actually have all the English (and most of the Spanish) networks, in HD, and they don't completely suck like the VT locals.

You won't know if you will have issues until the new satellite is operational. Wait and see.

Tell me more about shrinking spotbeams... I am "moved" and literally on the edge of the good-coverage Boston spotbeam area. I have 77-85 on those transponders, but have only experienced rain (snow) fade on a couple of the Boston channels once in 5 months. I would hate to get my real locals back... I get them all OTA and have them on my AM21 but there are so few of them. Paying for something I get for free is not something I want to be a part of. I can justify paying for the Boston locals because they actually have all the English (and most of the Spanish) networks, in HD, and they don't completely suck like the VT locals.
I am not positive but I believe boston locals come off 103(D12) so they won't be affected.

I am not positive but I believe boston locals come off 103(D12) so they won't be affected.

These are the Boston transponders:
TPN SAT CALL NETWORK
15 D11 @99W WGBH PBS
22 D11 @99W WCAX (SV) CBS
15 D11 @99W WBZ CBS
15 D11 @99W WCVB ABC
15 D11 @99W WHDH NBC
15 D11 @99W WMUR ABC
17 D11 @99W WENH PBS
22 D11 @99W WVNY ABC
17 D11 @99W WFXT FOX
17 D11 @99W WUNI UNIV
22 D11 @99W WNNE/WPTZ (SV) NBC
4 SW1 @103W WETK/VPT (SV) PBS
15 D11 @99W WSBK MY
4 SW1 @103W WFFF (SV) FOX
18 D11 @99W WGBX PBS
17 D11 @99W WBIN IND
17 D11 @99W WLVI CW
17 D11 @99W WNEU TMO
19 D11 @99W WMFP COZI
19 D11 @99W WUTF UMAS
28 D4S or D9S @101W WGPX ION

I understand your frustration, but there are DMA boundaries for a reason. Keep your fingers crossed, you may get better coverage because the beam may have moved a bit, or you may lose coverage because the beam moved. IT could go either way. The beams are going to be more efficient for frequency reuse. That will allow Directv to offer more beams to everyone and have 100 percent coverage. Unfortunately, you wont know until locals transition to the new bird. Real world beams may differ than what's on paper, so until then it's an unknown.

These are the Boston transponders:
TPN SAT CALL NETWORK
15 D11 @99W WGBH PBS
22 D11 @99W WCAX (SV) CBS
15 D11 @99W WBZ CBS
15 D11 @99W WCVB ABC
15 D11 @99W WHDH NBC
15 D11 @99W WMUR ABC
17 D11 @99W WENH PBS
22 D11 @99W WVNY ABC
17 D11 @99W WFXT FOX
17 D11 @99W WUNI UNIV
22 D11 @99W WNNE/WPTZ (SV) NBC
4 SW1 @103W WETK/VPT (SV) PBS
15 D11 @99W WSBK MY
4 SW1 @103W WFFF (SV) FOX
18 D11 @99W WGBX PBS
17 D11 @99W WBIN IND
17 D11 @99W WLVI CW
17 D11 @99W WNEU TMO
19 D11 @99W WMFP COZI
19 D11 @99W WUTF UMAS
28 D4S or D9S @101W WGPX ION
Lol! I couldn't have been more wrong apparently :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)