DirecTV2PC Issues & Feedback

HD works great on my desktop with a 256MB video card (Nvidia 8600GT) but I have major issues trying to watch HD on my Laptop. SD works fine on both machines.

Laptop
AMD Turion64 TL-64 2.20 GHz
3GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 2400 128MB Memory

Works decent here. There is a few stuttering but nothing major. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Intel Core 2 Dou 2.0ghz CPU, 3 gb RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate which I bought at Best Buy a few months ago.

It would be nice to delete shows from within the program and change between servers (receivers) more easily. It would also be cool to watch live tv if the wife is watching a recorded soap opera on the tv. No major complaints thus far.

And here I thought someone on the boards found a way to shoot the firmware to me ;) lol. I was giving kids baths, making dinner, blah blah, and I notice the box is upgrading. My wife says, oh yeah it asked so I told it to go ahead. So I am sitting there thinking, wow, someone hooked me up! :)

AWESOME. After the receiver updated, I opened up the app and was connected in 2 seconds. So far it seems to work wonderfully. I ignored the warning about my videocard in the Advisor app. Seems more of a guidance tool than anything else.

If D* knew the brownie points they just scored with my wife, she can watch all her dvr'd shows in the bedroom now in HD.

THANK YOU D*.

For anyone interested, specs on bedroom pc that I am streaming (working great thusfar) to are -

Vista 32bit
AMD 64 X2 DualCore 5200+
3GB memory
ATI Radeon X1300/X1500 (was flagged by the Advisor app)
Nic is a broadcom gig nic but I use the Cisco/Linksys WGA600N on a N network

Slow, choppy.. useless. I have a decent machine. 3ghz pent 4, 2gig memory, vista.. network always runs good. Frequently stream via tversity and use D OnDemand.

Very disappointing. Wont waste any more of my night on this thing. Should be easy to use and accessible... a failure.

Seems it does not work on 2 or more computers at the same time. Does it stream just to one connection?...

Well SD works like a charm. HD is stuttering so bad it is not watchable. If I hit pause and wait for a few minutes the HD works fine for about a min then starts stuttering again. I am assuming my DSL connection is too slow for the HD part.

I am using the directv2pc on a 2.4 ghz Dell and the SD works great. Of course the HD is very choppy. For some reason the software has parental controls activated and wants a passcode to be able to change them. Does anyone know what the default passcode would be on that?

Thanks in advance.

I had a program crash where I was recording the daily show on my reciver, and where it got to the point where the recording was at when I started the program originally, it crashed.

On some of my recordings, I'm getting an error about the audio being protected content and it stops playback and suggests I update my driver.

On some of my recordings, I'm getting an error about the audio being protected content and it stops playback and suggests I update my driver.

Updated my audio driver to the latest RealTek HD Audio Driver from the standard Windows Vista HD Audio driver and now it's fixed.

DirecTV should update their playback advisor tool to test for secure audio path support.

Choppy video here for me. I even tried to run a wire between the router and laptop but didn't get any better results.

Well I finally got home and installed; and both SD and HD run fine. All the DVR options I have on my set-top DVR (FFW, REV, 30sec skip, etc) all work fine with a tad of a delay which is expected being network relayed commands back to the home unit.

Here are the specs of made hand-built and very dated PC:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
PCIe x16 ATI Radeon HD 3870 w/ 1GB of dedicated RAM (Catalyst Driver v8.530.0)
3GB of System RAM (DDR2 400MHz CL2)
Windows XP Pro / SP3 w/only necessary processes running.
Gigabit Ethernet on Mobo w/all latest firmware installed.
CAT6e hardwired Network

Until I can off-load my DVR recordings to my PC to archive to DVD, I am not sure how much I will actually use this, but it work for me and works fine.

Last edited:
OK. I just tried HD recordings on my laptop again this morning and found that the issue I was having was with one of my recordings. The HD is working fine on both of my machines.

Anyone ever get this to work with XP SP3? I see the on requirements page that is says it only works with SP2. I can get it to work fine on my laptop with Vista. My desktop has XP SP3 on it and it sees the recordings on the HR20's but when it goes to play them I get the cannot connect to server message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts