DirecTV's Plans for 2006/2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This looks pretty promising for NEXT YEAR... man that means i will have to wait another year before subscribing.. since there is very little difference between them and E* there is no use in changing and lose that "new customer" sign up benefit...

No comments on DirecTV's customer numbers and the huge number who've cancelled their service or told others not to switch to D* because of "HD-Lite" ?? :D Oh wait, they add 1.2 million new customers..... Plus, the percentage of their customers who had HD service doubled from the previous year.

Brewer4 said:
The way I look at the 150 national HD channels is thats enough. I know I know you can never have enough but I cant watch more than 10-15 channels including niche/sport ones. I used to think more is better but I am starting to believe just enough more with better quality is better. I would be happy with pure HD and 50 national with HD lcoals. That would make me happy.

I would expect every channel to be in HD someday so I think that 150 is a good start

I meet 3 of the 5 key characteristics for the attractive customer base. I really liked the part about rewarding the best customers...except the part about free tickets to the cd-usa taping!

The new ka-ku dish looks great...appears to be smaller/lighter than the phase III. Anyone have more info (availability) on the Frequency Translation Module that only requires 1 line from the dish? :confused:

well guys, it was worth the wait, right??!!

SHOCK AND AWE, BABY,,,lightning and thunder from castle rock and el segundo!!

Is the new Slimline antenna made to receive only 99-101-103 satellites - maybe the extra two will be done with an extension for only certain geographic or subscription markets. They show that all HD will be on the Ka satellites.

not *that* shocking - think of the old triple LNB (or double with the SAT C). compare that to the Phase III. Same progression.

A **very** welcome change...

Great, concise source of information! Although their presentation of the financial data was er- "amusing." Most folks seeing that wouldn't realize they've been losing money, for the most part.

Anyway, I hope we see similar info out of E*!

DTV Broadband

I do miss the possible savings with going with local cable, local VOIP and broadband. The only way I would switch to a DTV broadband is if the ping times were solid. As a gamer -- I can't see those times being good enough. Maybe they've improved it since the time I last tinkered with DirecWay.

hancox said:
not *that* shocking - think of the old triple LNB (or double with the SAT C). compare that to the Phase III. Same progression.

A **very** welcome change...

i was talking about the whole release not just the dish. FWIW, the paratodos and phase 3 are roughly the same size. ive got 20 of each in the basement.

no no - I'm talking about the old 2LNB's that got the add-on. They're a bunch bigger...

Interesting - on page 40 under Broadband VOD Download Service, they say, "All content under DIRECTV control." Guess nobody will be viewing that content many times!

The "hard drive expansion device" sounds good though, and I like the kitchen under cabinet device too.:)

How are able to achieve this with such a smaller dish than what they have now compared to the dish that they have now for the five slots? Smaller than the three eyed dish? That seems surprising to me that they could create a dish smaller than that. What about rain-fade? If it gets much smaller than the three eyed monstor then we would be talking back towards the size of the 18 inch dish.

Some of the stuff looks nice, especially the new satellite. There is one slight problem: their dvr that will run all of this new stuff is already a failure!! How about this: Get rid of the NDS pvr altogether!! The damn software doesn't work and the dvr can't do the basics right. Put all this future stuff on the the TiVo series 3 dvr or the 2Wire Mediaportal, speed up the machine w/ a new faster graphics processor and a 1-2:tux: terabyte hard drive and then you will have something special on your hands!!

Last edited:
I'm just glad they finally got a clue and will start working a a single wire run for diplexing like the DPP44sw and a sleek new sat dish to boot.

Scott, great thread. Just when I think I know more than most about the future plans and products that DIRECTV is developing I find newer and more accurate information at SatelliteGuys.

Even better is the more than 100 viewers learning what I am all at the same time on this thread. Absolutely amazing.

Congratulations again Scott for breaking news before any other site.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts