DISH 2016 CES Press Event

Scott will the Carbon UI be released to current Hoppers before the Hopper3 ships? And should we wait to upgrade until our current Hoppers/HWS get the Carbon UI?
No the H3 and 4K Joey will have the new UI first. The other receivers will get the new UI later on.

I'd hate to go restore my timers and the new UI can't read the old data.
You can back up your timers to your remote and restore them to the new H3.

The H3 will keep a lot of customers who have been thinking of leaving dish as customers. I don't see it being very much if anything to upgrade as long as you agree to a two year commitment.

Agreed. I was just posting in the DirecTV forum this morning about switching. This changed my mind. Hoping my upgrade will be free, been with Dish for 10 years, autopay, perfect payment history and I am not currently under contract.

Accoding to retailers the release date of the 4K Joey is on the 15th. I don't however know if that date has changed or not.
Thanks for the info! I was pretty much just wondering why anyone would want to keep the old Joey's. Does the speed of the Hopper 3 make them more usable?

Thanks for the info! I was pretty much just wondering why anyone would want to keep the old Joey's. Does the speed of the Hopper 3 make them more usable?

This is a hard one to answer. As there are two versions of the Joey out there, and the newer version has a faster CPU. Not knowing how the original performs under a H3 knowing that it has a Slower CPU, while I don't think it will be slower then whats out there now, I don't think it will be much faster. But again this is speculation on what I know on the specs.

IMO, 16 tuners is CRAZY! We barely tax the three we already have. But I'm glad the record-aholics are happy. Only selling point to me is 4K...and only WHEN there is any source(s) to substantiate it.

Correct. So I would assume that some of the 16 tuners could be used for things like the sports bar mode. Where you eat up four there, one for PTAT when running then the rest to play with or for other things coming up. Will be exciting to see how it all pans out. Either way, a LOT to have fun with!

This month. JANURARY.

Yes OTA works and you will have 17 tuners. :)
I would love to know how they are getting 16 tuners in this one small hopper? I suspected that they were doing a PTAT extension on the other 3 tuners to come up with 16 ,but I was wrong. So how does this hybrid lnb power 16 tuners? I would love for someone who knows what they are talking about to explain the logistics on this one.

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
I would love to know how they are getting 16 tuners in this one small hopper? I suspected that they were doing a PTAT extension on the other 3 tuners to come up with 16 ,but I was wrong. So how does this hybrid lnb power 16 tuners? I would love for someone who knows what they are talking about to explain the logistics on this one.
I don't know how it works, but it does.

I am starting to think that DISH has invested in Keebler. :)

Reactions: gasman882001
I would love to know how they are getting 16 tuners in this one small hopper?
(WIld-arse Guess Follows) I imagine that Echostar has placed the tuners directly into the LNB, sort of how the U-Verse Neighborhood Node works. The Hopper 3 tells the LNB which streams to subscribe to, and the new LNB sends only those channel streams to the Hopper 3. For the older Hoppers it's business as usual with the stacked RF stream sent to the receiver to receive and decode.

Reactions: Papa47
(WIld-arse Guess Follows) I imagine that Echostar has placed the tuners directly into the LNB, sort of how the U-Verse Neighborhood Node works. The Hopper 3 tells the LNB which streams to subscribe to, and the new LNB sends only those channel streams to the Hopper 3. For the older Hoppers it's business as usual with the stacked RF stream sent to the receiver to receive and decode.
Boy that sounds way to complicated for Echostar ,but it is an explanation. Would love to see the tuner screen for those 15 tuners + 1 (ptat: 4 channels) + 1 ota tuner = 20 shows at one time being recorded at one time. I don't even think I could come up with that many shows I would want to record at one time. Most of the crap on tv now days isn't even worth recording.

Reactions: Tron2012
Plus never being late paying a bill. And paying for a larger programming package, and maybe the protection plan. And making few calls to Dish. Plus a dash of legerdemain. And your luck with a complex formula involving phases of the moons of Jupiter and Charlie's wallet.
Well put. Many on the inside have reported it is quite a number of factors for those who qualify for FREE upgrades to the latest and greates.

So it sounds like if I update my Hopper with Sling to a new Hopper3 then maybe I should look at upgrading my one Joey as well to a 4k Joey??

Reactions: Foxbat
Well folks been a long day for me so I am headed to bed now.

Hopefully I answered most of your questions, if not post them and I will do my best to answer them all tomorrow. :D

I will be headed down to the show floor and spending most of my day at the DISH booth.

Once again thanks to our Pub Members for helping make our coverage of CES possible. For details on how you can support SatelliteGuys and keep things like this going (and the site going too) please CLICK HERE. Thank you for your support!

I am one who wants and has a need for Hopper 3, but only ONE thing has me hesitating: will the H3 have some built-in way to allow for easy separation of recordings among different household members? I don't mean the current solution of having to create a Custom Folder and then selecting (often forgetting to select) that folder when creating timers. I mean, I would hope it would be like the current drop-down selection to view the contents of different Hoppers and external drive(s). With 16 tuners, it seems to demand some form of more advanced recordings management than in current Hoppers. Think about a family of 5, for example. So will there be some sort of "Profiles" or EASY was to have recordings segregated among household members?

And all the thanks for the great coverage and Scott's answers to so many questions. The time and effort involved in such coverage and answers is greatly appreciated.

I am one who wants and has a need for Hopper 3, but only ONE thing has me hesitating: will the H3 have some built-in way to allow for easy separation of recordings among different household members?

Hoping it will someday, but guessing it will be the same type of My Folders structure. Finger's crossed they take our feedback and improve it if it is still the same old, same old as far as recording management. Been wanting a cleaner, more logical way to do this on the Hopper for a long time now, as well as others.

Hopper 1 the Original Hopper & EHD Bug?

PTAT- couple more ? from HWS Newbie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts