Dish 3rd Quarter 2014 10Q

DVR Service
$12.00
Hopper Receiver
Joey Receiver

Here is a breakdown for my Two Hopper, one Joey setup. First receiver is included, the second Hopper at one time was 7.00 which many of the early Hopper adopters were all over as you could get a Hopper at the price of a Joey, then the price went up to 12 but they offered a 5.00 credit for time

So if you have Dish and have a Hopper as your only receive what charges do you pay, there's no DVR fee with Dish?

If you have a single Hopper, you pay a $12 DVR fee. Actually you are paying $12 for each Hopper including the first one.

My bill shows :
DVR Fee = $12
Super Joey =$10

My setup is one HWS + Super Joey. Joey would be $7.

I have Verizon quantum tv boxes 47.99 plus 32.00 to record that is 80 for 6 boxes . I also have dish 12 for hopper and 7 for joey . all these fees are getting crazy just to watch tv .

And it seems that Dish is learning this the hard way. As being discussed in another thread...Dish is returning to HD for Life promotion. But I agreed that the ever increasing fees...specially for equipment. To go to Hopper with 1 Joey...the increase if $12. That's a lot of money per month. Not to mention as you told...increase in 2nd Hopper fees.

But its not only Dish....in the end..all the providers will feel the burnt. They keep advertising low monthly package cost...but soon the equipment and miscellanies fees will be more then those packages. I have been shaving my package from AT250 to AT200 to AT120 presently.
I know I pay $36.00 a month in monthly fees just to have my hopper/super joey and two joeys in my other rooms. That is 1/2 the price of what I pay in programming. It is simply ridiculous. I had dropped to top 200 and this last summer I dropped down to top 120 without the rsn to save money.

Reactions: rajmarie
What are Directv's profits vs. Dish Network's profits? I thought Dish made way more per subscriber than that. So it appears that Dish went from $6 per sub to $3 per sub in profit and lost subscribers to boot. Did something attribute to half the net profit that does not normally occur?

But their average revenue per sub went up to $84.39 from $80.98. So their cost per sub are going up at the same time as they lose 12,000 subs. I guess that idea to hike the price of the 2nd hopper from $7.00 to $12.00 and charging for HD access for $10.00 after 24 month commitment is up , has really paid off for old Charlie. Churn has gone up 1.67 from 1.66 this time last year in the 3rd quarter. Their net income totaled 146 million for this quarter compared to 315 million from last year in the same quarter. Not good DISH.

His competitors are handing out $$$ to get customers, often in the form of gift credit cars with values of $100 or more, and it is working, and many will pay all ETF's if a customer has to cancel before their contract is up. It's had to choose Dish when the other guys are essentially giving you anywhere between $100-$200 dollars to sign up with them and no loss for leaving Dish early because the other MVPD will pay the ETF for the customer. This is the most competitive and cut-throat we have ever seen the MVPD's.

His competitors are handing out $$$ to get customers, often in the form of gift credit cars with values of $100 or more, and it is working, and many will pay all ETF's if a customer has to cancel before their contract is up. It's had to choose Dish when the other guys are essentially giving you anywhere between $100-$200 dollars to sign up with them and no loss for leaving Dish early because the other MVPD will pay the ETF for the customer. This is the most competitive and cut-throat we have ever seen the MVPD's.
That is because the satellite/cable model is mature and now declining. It will only lose more and more subs as the time goes on ,especially since the younger generation isn't subscribing to pay tv and doesn't ever plan on doing so and the older generation that has been subscribing is literally dieing out day by day. It is a lose /lose situation and the companies will fight over the dwindling potential customers with all kinds of deals to secure them. Something has to change or this model will die out.

So if you have Dish and have a Hopper as your only receive what charges do you pay, there's no DVR fee with Dish?

If you only have a Hopper you only pay $12. If you are comparing the Hopper and Genie then the Genie beats the Hopper by two more tuners but you can add a Super Joey to match the Genie's tuners. Once you add a Super Joey the bill goes up another $10 for a total of $22 BUT now the Hopper gives you two TVs in HD with 5 tuners and the capability of adding an OTA tuner. I think the Hopper system wins this one.

If you only have a Hopper you only pay $12. If you are comparing the Hopper and Genie then the Genie beats the Hopper by two more tuners but you can add a Super Joey to match the Genie's tuners. Once you add a Super Joey the bill goes up another $10 for a total of $22 BUT now the Hopper gives you two TVs in HD with 5 tuners and the capability of adding an OTA tuner. I think the Hopper system wins this one.
For DIRECTV then you could take the Genie, add a HR24 (or other HD DVR) for an additional $6 per month, you now have 7 satellite tuners. I think you declared victory just a tad too soon.

For DIRECTV then you could take the Genie, add a HR24 (or other HD DVR) for an additional $6 per month, you now have 7 satellite tuners. I think you declared victory just a tad too soon.

You're leaving out the $199 for the HR24 that D* will want upfront.

I think that E* gets $100 for a SuperJoey. At least that's what they wanted when I added it to my account, might be different if you were ordering a new installation.

You're leaving out the $199 for the HR24 that D* will want upfront.

I think that E* gets $100 for a SuperJoey. At least that's what they wanted when I added it to my account, might be different if you were ordering a new installation.
Maybe you pay, maybe you don't. Many folks, especially if they have the protetion plan, would get a free HD DVR every two years from DIRECTV.

There's just way too many variables that would effect a specific upgrade. My reason for posting was a comment that it it very expensive to get a Genie, my point was if you already had HD Access, Advanced Receiver fees on your account its only $3/month more for the WHDVR fee if you get a Genie, not the BIG increase that was supposed to happen.

Maybe you pay, maybe you don't. Many folks, especially if they have the protetion plan, would get a free HD DVR every two years from DIRECTV.

There's just way too many variables that would effect a specific upgrade. My reason for posting was a comment that it it very expensive to get a Genie, my point was if you already had HD Access, Advanced Receiver fees on your account its only $3/month more for the WHDVR fee if you get a Genie, not the BIG increase that was supposed to happen.

It isn't fair to use the 'exceptions to the rules' when making comparisons. Both services will except from the standard depending on the account. We see evidence of that almost every day here and other places.

BTW, if you have the $8/month protection plan (I think that is what D* charges), you end up paying $184 for that 'free' upgrade! :)

As to the BIG increase, well they already got the $20... Just sayin' :)

But then you're paying $29 a month for DirecTV compared to Dish at $22. In that case I would just get two Hoppers so I could have 6 tuners and only pay $24 which is still less than DirecTV. I would have the option of adding two OTA tuners also.

Reactions: ChadT41
Remember they removed the HD fee for new customers but paying $6 monthly now for 1st receiver
so it would be $15 in fees minus lease
While others pay $25 but not paying for 1st receiver
and prior to Feb 2012 customers pay $23 also don't pay for 1st receiver

I think that fee structure is for Genies not sure on HD DVR's
I know they add Whole Home when anybody upgrades to the Genie which I think is $5 now
It's still $3 for older customers on top of the $20 HD and DVR fees

although I do have $30 in credits and have gotten the free Genie upgrade plus the wireless client
and also had the HR24 free upgrade when it was kind of new plus the H24
only receiver I ever paid was a HR22 when I signed up in 2009,

Last edited:
I think we can all agree here that no matter what provider you have you are going to pay a premium to go to a whole home HD DVR system. It makes no sense complaining about how much Dish is or how much DirecTV is, they are all expensive now. If you don't want to pay that much then go with lower end equipment while you still can.

Reactions: KAB
Dish isn't alone. DirecTV lost 28,000 subs in the most recent quarter:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/DirecTV-Loses-28000-TV-Subscribers-On-the-Quarter-131204

Just proves what I been saying and that satellite and cable are mature industries . Young adults are not subscribing to pay tv and never will and older people that do subscribe are literally dieing out every day. With those demographics the industry had better change what they are doing or they will suffer the same fate as other industries that are teetering on the brink today or have already gone away.

Young adults are not subscribing to pay tv and never will
But they will pay - just for different packaging. Cord cutting is a "deal" now because every player is in loss leader/grab market share mode, subsidized by all the traditional revenue. Average prices will equalize, closer to today's pay tv rates than the current cord-cutter rates. The question is can Dish/NuTV make it through the transition.

Either way, there is plenty of money to be made with linear TV over the next decade or more. I don't think Charlie is losing any sleep.

Reactions: navychop

I have to go to source channel for HD?

NFL channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts