Dish 500 for ExpressVu and Skew Angle Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sarcoptic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Bondurant, IA
Quick question for the pros....on the Y adapter will 119 line up with 91 and 110 with 82 or the other way around? Also I am trying to find a reliable angle calculator for 82/91. 2 different sites have given me 2 different skew angles....any recommendations? Thanks!

Why are you asking this in the FTA section? I'm confused. But as to your question, I have pointed my dish500 at 82/91 without doing anything to my LNB's or adapter. I didn't have any expressvu receiver, but after ending my dish subscription, I was bored one day and figured I'd play around. I didn't get the best signal (but very watchable from what I could get FTA), but that was maybe related to the skew somewhat as I didn't change that setting on the dish.

Yep there is quite a few radio stations I would love to pick up for FTA so reason for asking...so I take it you must of had 82 as 110 and 91 as 119

Yep there is quite a few radio stations I would love to pick up for FTA so reason for asking...so I take it you must of had 82 as 110 and 91 as 119

no there isn't. They all were encrypted a while back (this past fall). Only thing on 91 is a few preview channels

yeah, I was wondering that too, hand me thinking I missed some stuff. I only saw preview channels and I thought I got 1 radio station. I don't know anymore though, I did this a couple months ago and have since disconnected that dish.

Bummer...I actually had an FTA setup last summer and loved the radio stations...thanks for the info IceBerg....I guess we shall pick out a couple other sats....

Yep. The radio stations were sweet to have. But EVu got greedy and slowly started encrypting them last summer, leaving us with the French channels and Country 105. Then they nuked the rest : (

I just scanned 91 yesterday and all that is there right now is about 10-11 preview channels (3 of the Channel 198…think Dish 101) and the other 8 say “this is an info channel” and if you have a EVu box, hit info and it shows a message like “see NHL hockey on PPV”

not legally and not without going through a broker or some other way to sub with a canadian address. I believe sat footprint is going to be an issue for those in the south also

At one point, it was possibly to get all the ExpressVu channels with a Dish 500 in the USA, and the exchange rate was also favorable for the US, so a number of people subscribed through "brokers" who used their Canadian address to receive the bills, and then charged a fee.
THEN, ExpressVu had trouble with their satellites, and leased a lame satellite that didn't reach the SW US and moved some of their channels to that satellite. At the same time, the exchange rate got worse for the US and also ExpressVu raised their prices and their minimum package price. So, a lot of "Southern" ExpressVu subcribers left at that point.
Ironically, during the same period, StarChoice started out not being feasible in the southern US (which led US residents to pick ExpressVu instead). But they upgraded their satellites and are now easily picked up throughout the US with normal Ku band 30-inch dishes (from what I have read).
Both ExpressVU and StarChoice (like all subscription services) require use of their own brand of receivers (easily obtained on ebay or from online retailers who will ship to the US). Both services require Canadian billing addresses, otherwise they would be in violation of Canadian law.
The exchange rate is no longer favorable for US residents, so these days, people subscribe mainly in order to get Canadian programming not available in the US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)