Dish 622 L4.05 Software (the software formerly known as 409)

Several months now and I am still not able to record or watch my local HD OTA ABC channel. Combine this with the recent 129 drop-outs for HD and i wonder why exactly I'm paying them $20 each month.

If you assume that sticking a bunch of monkeys in a room full of typewriters for long enough will eventually get you a Shakespeare play ...

You would have hopes that sticking a bunch of Dish techs in a room full of tech equipment for the past three months would have enabled them to fix my OTA problems.

Apparently not.

:devil:

(still on 4.05)

p.s. given that this is the dish forum ... you don't see the :bow: and :hatsoff: smilies used all that much do you ;)

My OTA issues were fixed with 406 and 409. Hopefully your problem will be fixed when you get the new SW.

My OTA issues were fixed with 406 and 409. Hopefully your problem will be fixed when you get the new SW.

I'm more than happy to provide access to my wife for an hour or two in exchange for a software hit on my 622.

:D

<checks over shoulder to make sure she isn't reading this>

I am having the same problem on playback of anything recorded off of my mpeg 4 hd locals. The screen breaks up into pixelations & macro blocking but only on recorded shows. IT doesn't happen on LIVE tv at all. I have sent an email to the betabugs software people that I wrote to when I was a L4.01 software tester. Those who want to write an email about the bugs in L 4.09 can send one to them at the following address:

beta.bugs@echostar.com]EchoStar Communications Corporation[/url]

Mike, seems to me your HDD develop too many errors (could be bad blocks ). I would recommend to clean it from bad sectors first.
No, it will not break the seal.

If HDD Bad sectors concidental with new software

If this problem is due to bad sectors then it happened to many of us at the same time the new software was installed. Also it only happens on local HD locals. For me it does not happen on other HD channels and does not happen with ota recordings of delayed playbacks of ota locals.

JC

well, I am still on 405, and this afternoon, I was getting bad pixelation on one of my hd locals, watching it live, not recorded..sunny and calm in chicago today, so I know it cant be weather related..

P Smith, you are one who would seem to know. People mentioning pixellation and what-not and s/w versions, but to what extent does Dish's software factor in ?? Dish hopefully doesn't write MPEG decoders but leave that job to the experts, i.e. Broadcom. If there's an improvement, it's not something Dish changed, is it ?

If this problem is due to bad sectors then it happened to many of us at the same time the new software was installed. Also it only happens on local HD locals. For me it does not happen on other HD channels and does not happen with ota recordings of delayed playbacks of ota locals.

JC

Same here exactly. NO other hd or sd channels display this, only playback of hd locals in mpeg4. This definately began with the introduction of the new software L4.09. I record a soap every day on Nbc out of Houston. Today was the first day that I actually watched it after getting L4.09. IT was pixelating and macro blocking like crazy. IT was like the encoders couldn't keep up . I know it only happened on the recording because I was on the phone with a friend while it was recording live. I didn't see any breakups while I was on the phone for 30 minutes. I was sitting on the couch directly in front of my 57" hdtv with the sound muted. When I went back to restart the show from the begining , it showed the pixelations where I didn't see it when it was showing live.

Mike, seems to me your HDD develop too many errors (could be bad blocks ). I would recommend to clean it from bad sectors first.
No, it will not break the seal.

Via connection to external PC? Linux PC?

...If your box by chance has out of date s/w on it when you call for an issue, odds are they're going to make you update before they help...

I nominate this for the "Understatement of the Month" award!

Mike, I'm far from your place (no your locals here) - can you find some national channel/program in H.264 what I could record on 622HZ with new decoders (7412) and we will compare ?

SMith I don't understand what you are talking about in terms of national channels in H.264. My problem is ONLY on the hd mpeg 4 locals and it comes and goes. I am watching " Good Morning America" on my local ABC and it is delayed about 10 minutes . So I am watching it as it is recording just like the NBC soap yesterday but No picture breakups . So I don't know if yesterday was an anomoly or if it will continue on today. I will watch the soap today delayed again just like yesterday and report back if it happens again.

SMith I don't understand what you are talking about in terms of national channels in H.264. My problem is ONLY on the hd mpeg 4 locals and it comes and goes. I am watching " Good Morning America" on my local ABC and it is delayed about 10 minutes . So I am watching it as it is recording just like the NBC soap yesterday but No picture breakups . So I don't know if yesterday was an anomoly or if it will continue on today. I will watch the soap today delayed again just like yesterday and report back if it happens again.

Mike,

What I've noticed on this problem is it occurs with the 1080i stations of NBC and CBS. I haven't really experimented with the 720p staions. And yes, this only occurs with the locals. Does not happen with any of the National HD channels.

S~

4.09 screwed up my OTA Again

Does anybody know why those geeks at Dish like to mess with people, I had 4.05 and my OTA used to go from 90 to 40 every few minutes, they sent me 4.06 and it worked ok, now they sent me 4.09 and I'm back to OTA drops every few minutes, why can't they leave something that works alone, or is that a reason for them tio keep their jobs , if they would give me my locals in HD, I'd quit complaining otherwise I can't wait for that stupid contract to be over.

I had 4.05 and my OTA used to go from 90 to 40 every few minutes, they sent me 4.06 and it worked ok, now they sent me 4.09 and I'm back to OTA drops every few minutes...

Are you using an amp with your OTA? If you are, do you have a DC block on the cable before it enters the receiver?

Mike,

What I've noticed on this problem is it occurs with the 1080i stations of NBC and CBS. I haven't really experimented with the 720p staions. And yes, this only occurs with the locals. Does not happen with any of the National HD channels.

S~

Well that might be why I didn't see any problems on the recording of ABC this morning. IT is in 720p and the Nbc station is in 1080i so that explains why the Passions soap was having problems and the Good Morning America didn't. I haven't compared any CBS or FOX shows on recordings. I wonder if that is why they stopped the updates on L 4.09? I don't know why DISH doesn't check this stuff out before they send these updates that cause problems for everyone. IT is like we move two steps forward and then 4 steps back with every software update.

...What I've noticed on this problem is it occurs with the 1080i stations of NBC and CBS. I haven't really experimented with the 720p staions. And yes, this only occurs with the locals. Does not happen with any of the National HD channels...

I had the problem on WFAA (ABC) this morning. Again, live=perfect. Buffered or recorded=break-ups.

Does anybody know why those geeks at Dish like to mess with people, I had 4.05 and my OTA used to go from 90 to 40 every few minutes, they sent me 4.06 and it worked ok, now they sent me 4.09 and I'm back to OTA drops every few minutes, why can't they leave something that works alone, or is that a reason for them tio keep their jobs , if they would give me my locals in HD, I'd quit complaining otherwise I can't wait for that stupid contract to be over.

You've got something else going on there. Possible grounding issue? Maybe, as someone else posted, an amp causing problems? I'd be looking at other issues that could be causing it, as I doubt the software is causing the signal strength to constantly bounce around in that wide of a range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts