Status
Please reply by conversation.

tookien123

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Toronto Canada
Hi,

I have a question regarding satellite alignment for 19.2E & 13E for my current location I found it requires:

Elevation: -10.5°

Azimuth (true): 268.1°

Azimuth (magn.): 278.5°

Dish Skew [?]: 44.8°

Does -10.5 Elevation mean its below the horizon of my current location and therefore I cannot target this satellite?

Second question, if I can align it, would I need two LNB's on one dish (one for 19.2 and one for 13)?

Sorry if I sound like a nOob here, I'm currently in the process of researching for an FTA solution.

Thanks in response!

Does -10.5 Elevation mean its below the horizon of my current location and therefore I cannot target this satellite?

Yes, Negative elevation is out of the question.

Another thing to consider is that satellites also send beams out to certain areas. I have a direct line of sight to the Venezuelan "Simon Bolivar" satellite at 78W, but their Ku-band signal doesn't reach this far north.

By the way, welcome to Satellite Guys!

The other thing to look at, is whether a given satellite even has a beam pointed toward North America.
So you might be able to see the satellite, but is it looking YOUR way. ? ;)

Tookien123, are you thinking of a smaller Ku-band setup, a big dish C-band setup, or a combo of both? (I'm assuming you don't have any equipment yet -- just pondering, right?)

You might want to visit satbeam.com. This site has footprint maps for just about any sat up there. I have found it very useful.

Hi northg,

I don't know to be honest. I just want to setup FTA with some good satellite signals from Canada and America (I live in Toronto Ontario Canada) (since the European I wanted in this thread seems to be out of the question).

My budget is aimed for 2 recievers, and up to 5 satellite signals (which I'm assuming mean's about 5 LNB's) and depending on the satellite location a few dishes. And it seems I'll need a multi-switch with antenna input and 2 diplexers per connection.

Is there some popular satellite dishes I can aim to get news channels (Canadian and US), and possibly some sport channel (soccer for example)?

What are your recommendations?
Take a look at Mike Kohl's lists at http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html to see what's available in N.A. See what 'turns your crank', go from there.
C band 101w & Ku band 97w may have something interesting for U.
soccer for example
97w Ku, 58w C, a few others, and the Mexican satellites at 113w and 116w. )last two may be questionable, don't know if the footprints get 'up there' [oh wait, you're south of ME!]
www.satbeams.com to see. EDIT: just looked, should be no problem. [[Find a 10 ft dish for C band - keep an eye on thread in the C band section, -(? ?) for your perusual]]

Last edited:
I'm about to leave for my part-time job, but others will help you out while I'm gone -- and I'll give some more answers when I return :) The easiest way to go, in my opinion, is with a motorized Ku-band dish set-up. In that way, you won't need lots of switches, dishes and so forth. The motor can be tricky to install, but if you try swinging your dish around to become familiar with the positions of the satellites first, it's a logical step (as long as you have a continuous open view along what we call the satellite "arc").

97W would make an excellent first goal -- although there are lots of religious and foreign language stations there, you will find four Middle East sports channels, consisting primarily of soccer, and several English language news channels (China, Russia, Qatar) and channels with English or almost all English programming with a news segment (Turkey, Kuwait). Other satellites will have feeds of news and sports events, too.

A motorized system would not be ideal providing service for two receivers. Would be better with each receiver having its own motorized dish or sharing multiple fixed dishes with appropriate LNBFs and connected with multi-switches.

The problem having two receivers, is deciding which controlls the motor.

If you need independent selection of any satellite by each receiver, then multiple dishes are the answer.
Many people have both: primary birds on fixed dishes; and a motor for scanning the sky.
It's really a matter of personal choice.

Either way, you'll want dual-output LNBFs.
The ones from SatelliteAV are my choice.
And read all of the Switches Simplified FAQ.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/134124-Switch-setups-simplified

Edit: for strong satellites, you can repurpose DirecTV or DishNet dishes, outfitted with proper LNBFs. For average satellites, I suggest 90cm round.

On larger dishes (eg: 90cm or bigger), you might mount two (or three) LNBFs.
The larger the dish (longer focal length, really), the further apart LNBFs mount for a given distance between satellites.

We have numerous discussions of all variations. ;)

Last edited:
97W is a good start. Also 30w has lots of sports, soccer and baseball and movies. I have both sats on separate dishes. Good strong signals here in Mississauga.

If you decide to go for some of the satellites over the Atlantic, you might need a Universal lnb. I believe 30w is such a satellite.

Everything on 30W that's beamed to North America is receivable with a standard LNB.

45W and 50W (sometimes 53W) are the only satellites that have full time channels that I can think of that would require a universal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)