Dish DB question?

SkyScanner81

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 17, 2021
Crossville, Tennessee
Ok I am looking at trying to get a 90cm to 1.2 meter motorized dish and notice the dish db numbers. Is there a way to use that db as a signal differencial factor when looking for a dish?

Example if it says one dish has a db of 39.3 and another 40.3, can you take the division of the two and possibly use it for a signal quality comparison? Like if the dish is 1 more db higher maybe it means 3 more signal quality pct?

I am just deciding on if I should try a one meter dish on a hh90 type motor or if the 90cm would be pretty much just as good or if I should dish out the bucks on a 1.2 meter and a hh120 motor? Also I have a 1.66 diameter pole, will that work on a 1.2 meter motor and dish or will it be too small?

Thanks

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
All dishes are not made the same. Some 1 meter dishes may not perform as good as a 90cm because of build quality. I can say for a fact that the Geosat 90cm dishes are built well and work great. That will also fit your pole.

SkyScanner81

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 17, 2021
Crossville, Tennessee
All dishes are not made the same. Some 1 meter dishes may not perform as good as a 90cm because of build quality. I can say for a fact that the Geosat 90cm dishes are built well and work great. That will also fit your pole.

Well I got a 90cm geosat dish yesterday, it is used and about 10 yrs old. It looks to be a 90cm, unless satelliteav made smaller dishes back then but i think it is 34 to 35 inches wide and about 37 inches in height, same as the 90cm nowdays, but the bracket looks a bit small for a motor so Im not sure but if thats the case I can just pop a new lnb on it since the old one is 10 yrs old and maybe just use this with a motor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)