DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

Took them long enough to implement dish anywhere for the KF,I'm sure a lot of folks will be pleased with that.PS3 and PS4 as clients is pretty cool,and the wireless joeys.I suspect there will be some kind of limits on Hopper and super joey per customer,and I wonder what the new fees will be for the super joey.

AC = 5 GHz ... so wall penetration will not be as a good as 2.4 GHz. If your home is large, or has lots of walls ... you may still be just as limited ... and may have to still run cable (network or coax) anyway.

I think Dish was smart though in using its own access point versus using the customer's personal router. This way tech support and the installers have only one router GUI to learn how to configure and support. It should in theory also leave out the support calls along the lines of "whenever I download large files from the internet, my Joey stops working".

Will more suprjoeys equal more tuners?

IE - 1 hopper + 2 superjoeys = 10 tuners?

It would be 7 physical tuners. One of the tuners pulls multiple channels out of the multiplexed data for stuff on whatever TP your locals are on when tuned to a local (PTAT or otherwise).

I'm sure Dish would still market it as 3 more "virtual" tuners to account for this.

I wonder what the new fees will be for the super joey.

I'm going on record guessing $10 right between the current Joey & Hopper fees. I would be shocked if it was only $7. Of course they might do the old "It's only $7 same as the regular Joey". Then when there is enough penetration, they boost it to $10, maybe grandfather some people for a while. Well they would never really do such a thing like that would they? ;)

Hi, sorry nope only one super joey per "network". Two hopper systems no super Joey.

If you want 2 hoppers and a super Joey you will need 2 solo nodes.

The super joey runs direct to lnbf NO NODE Adapter.

With no node "path" how does it communicate with the Hopper? The LNBF has this communication feature?

navychop said:
With no node "path" how does it communicate with the Hopper? The LNBF has this communication feature?

That's the million dollar question will find out tomorrow at the dish booth. :) I've been wondering the same thing.

On the release date...... The information is unclear. Does it mean that Dish will soon announce the specific release date, which will be in the 1st quarter -or- does it mean that Dish will tell us in the first quarter when the product will be released (which could be in a couple of years).

Another hopper is $5 more a month.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

not really enough incentive to switch though really by time you figure out what you lost in having the other hopper as in double the recording space and 3 more tuners vs 2. So IMO its pointless to get a SJ if it is infact going to only be $7 when you miss out on these extras and would still be needing to run extra cables to connect it regardless.

not really enough incentive to switch though really by time you figure out what you lost in having the other hopper as in double the recording space and 3 more tuners vs 2. So IMO its pointless to get a SJ if it is infact going to only be $7 when you miss out on these extras and would still be needing to run extra cables to connect it regardless.

If your a person with one Hopper and are having Tuner Conflicts then you might want to consider a Hopper with Joey.

For me... after thinking about it, I rather the two hopper setup better. Gives me 4 TB of space and if one Hopper fails I can still watch TV and record things on the other Hopper.

Remember for many of us here at SatelliteGuys we are not your normal DISH customer. :)

If your a person with one Hopper and are having Tuner Conflicts then you might want to consider a Hopper with Joey.

For me... after thinking about it, I rather the two hopper setup better. Gives me 4 TB of space and if one Hopper fails I can still watch TV and record things on the other Hopper.

Remember for many of us here at SatelliteGuys we are not your normal DISH customer. :)

Not sure of this is possible, but what about replacing a Joey with a SJ, and a two Hopper system, talk about tuners!