Dish Expands High Definition Package

LASooner said:
My HOA won't allow a second dish, so if it's at 61.5 I'm screwed ...
No, you're not!! The FCC regulation protects your right to install multiple dishes, providing each is compliant with the various stipulations (< 1m, etc.). There is actually no stated limit to the number of such dishes you may install on your property.

Dalbrit said:
Thanks Dishbacker - So I can just call up Dish, tell them I want to add CBS-HD, and they will have to bring me a second dish, pointed to 61.5? If so, I think I might just give them a call right now.

Thanks,

Mark

NO!!! Not for free. CBS HD is a national channel. Not everyone qualifies to get it.

They MUST give you a side dish if you have a split local market with must carry locals on the 2nd dish.

Note that this situation is temporary. The FCC has mandated that Dish move move all locals to a single Dish (I believe they have till late next year).

With all the new spot beams heading for 110 I'd guess that most (if not all) markets will end up there.

If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth market and subscribe to the local channel package, you can get a 61.5 dish installed at no cost because there is still one local spanish/infomercial channel (KMPX channel 29) that E* transmits at 61.5. It is my understanding that they will not install it just for CBS-HD because the FCC does not require it. Just call a CSR and tell them you want the dish to receive KMPX and you should ge it at no charge.

Walter L. said:
I recently got E* and still have my VOOM dish pointing at 61.5. Would I need a new LNB for it? and what would I need to hook it up to E*?

Man, we are really drifting into too many different topics....

Much of this should be in a new thread.

Yea, you'll probably need a DishPro LNB, and a new multiswitch to wire it all together.

One of the latest DishProPlus Dish 500 LNBs has an extra connector to wire in the feed from a 2nd dish and a built-in 3 sat multiswitch. You probably would not have gotten this unless you needed it.

caam1 said:
If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth market and subscribe to the local channel package, you can get a 61.5 dish installed at no cost because there is still one local spanish/infomercial channel (KMPX channel 29) that E* transmits at 61.5. It is my understanding that they will not install it just for CBS-HD because the FCC does not require it. Just call a CSR and tell them you want the dish to receive KMPX and you should ge it at no charge.
Same with Atlanta market TBS and PBS are on 61.5 as well as the DISH HD demo channel.

noremac said:
No, you're not!! The FCC regulation protects your right to install multiple dishes, providing each is compliant with the various stipulations (< 1m, etc.). There is actually no stated limit to the number of such dishes you may install on your property.

Well you say that but in that regulation I couldn't find anything that specifically mentions anything about multiple dishes, and it doesn't say anything about the local authority's ability or inability to restrict you to one dish.

However in my HOA rules, there is an addendum that states 'you can only have 1 dish no bigger than 1 meter in diameter.' If you can find language in the regulation that disputes that, I'd gladly present it to them. There are a lot of dishes in my townhome complex, but I have not seen anyone with a wing dish.

from the word i just received off the Team Summit floor is that 21 voom channels. 10 starting 5/1/05....rest by 2006(already posted......hdtv moving to 129 with the dish1000. will find out more in the hour.

phaddon said:
from the word i just received off the Team Summit floor is that 21 voom channels. 10 starting 5/1/05....rest by 2006(already posted......hdtv moving to 129 with the dish1000. will find out more in the hour.

They say when 129 / Dish 1000 would be ready for primetime? And is that hdtv locals or all hdtv?

Just wanted to thank y'all for being so helpful - went ahead and asked for the second dish so I could receive the one extra local channel - coming monday to install for free! I guess whenever the Voom channels go live, I should be in good shape!

Thanks again - oh and the CSR I spoke to did know about the new additions, and confirmed no new cost to the HD package.

Mark

philssatellite said:
Well I guess D* is wondering what the hell happened? I say this is a great Day!!!

Heh...heh..Charlie pulled one over on Rupert. While D* came up with their fancy new ad campaign and a lot of future promises, Charlie delivered the real deal. :D

NightRyder

Forgive me, but I have scanned these posts and still don't know whether I should be able to receive and/or have added the HD programming that is due May 1st for free or what? Some of the links above to follow did not work for me to follow up. I live Orange County, California (Los Angeles Market I think). I have 1 811 with the HD programming package, a 522 and a 311. I think I get 110 and 119 - so I think I would have to get the second dish for 61.5? But can I get it added for free under any set of circumstances - I ask here first because it did not seem that the CSR's know what is going on. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

LASooner said:
...I couldn't find anything that specifically mentions anything about multiple dishes, and it doesn't say anything about the local authority's ability or inability to restrict you to one dish.
You are correct that the original reg does not specifically mention multiple dishes; however, an FCC Memorandum Opinion and Order established it conclusively. Here is a summary of that case. Enjoy ripping your HOA to shreds!!! :)

FCC PERMITS OWNER TO MAINTAIN MULTIPLE ANTENNAS

The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) recently ruled that a homeowner association can not impose an arbitrary limit on the number of antennas a homeowner may install. In The Matter of Stanley and Vera Holliday, the owners installed five antennas and three satellite dishes on a structure consisting of six masts, secured by guy wires, in the rear of their lot. Five of the masts were 30 feet in height and were even with the owner’s roofline and one mast was ten feet in height. The antennas provided reception for ten television sets, nine video cassette recorders, and seven satellite receivers.

The association had previously filed suit in a state court, seeking to remove the devices on the grounds that the owners had failed to obtain prior approval for the installation of the antennas. The structure would not have been approved since the association's unwritten policy was that each owner was allowed only one satellite dish and one television antenna that extended no more than 12 feet above the roof line. The state court suit was suspended when the owners filed a petition with the FCC, seeking a determination that the association's restrictions of these devices were prohibited by the FCC’s Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule.

The FCC found that the association’s prior approval restrictions were invalid. It also ruled that the limit on the number and height of antennas and satellite dishes was prohibited, since it was arbitrary, and not justified by legitimate safety or historic preservation considerations. In rejecting the Association’s limit on the number of devices, the FCC ruled that a viewer may install as many antennas as necessary to receive all available video programming in the viewing area, provided the equipment is not duplicative.

Great news, but I cannot see 61.5 due to LOS issues. Am I SOL for the VOOM channels?

La Liga?!!

Walter L. said:
After revisit the list of the 10 channel, I've realized that WorldSports didn't make it. Dam it!!! That's one of my favorites :(

Hey Walter,
WorldSport & HD La Liga is S U P E R !! I hope someone will post info on when/where this great programming will reappear. Anybody have any info??
Ken

It's been mentioned a few times that Dish Network will carry all 21 channels later, just right now they are starting with the 10 mentioned in the press release.

World Sport - La Liga

TuxCoder said:
It's been mentioned a few times that Dish Network will carry all 21 channels later, just right now they are starting with the 10 mentioned in the press release.

Right, thx, so WorldSport is coming? Great! Just was wondering WHEN. Maybe it's too early to guess?

322 receiver coax picture quality problem

942 replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)