Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

These disputes are way past old at this point. It's something almost every week, and I'm not seeing my bill come down that's for sure. And when you compare prices with other providers, Dish really can't say they are saving me $ either. Enough is enough, for the first time I finally called Dish and complained this morning
I don't blame you if at some point you become unhappy, of course you should switch or at the least complain. But if you think Dish is not saving most subscribers money over just about any other carrier, you would be wrong. Just as Kab pointed out, past the new customer promotions, Dish is less and can be quite abit less for equal programming. Just as one example, Charter is $20 for one through four rooms just for the DVR fee and just for one room!. And now they are dropping multi-room DVR's.
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2613
In the end certainly complain to Dish, or it's time to switch if you are not happy, I just feel it's worth pointing out Dish is often less expensive when everything is taken into account.

Last edited:
You are talking about major channels here. This isn't Epix1 that you watch once every other month. These are major networks we are about to lose that comprise a lot of viewing time. If they took away all the jesus channels and QVCs and what not, I wouldn't ask for a rate decrease. Hell, I didn't ask for one when AMC went away.
We used to get by a few years ago with only three or four channels. Now people who can get hundreds of channels are complaining when they lose one channel. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Not to mention the many, generous retention offers a lot of us have benefited from, some upwards of a hundred dollars, plus. Another thing that should be taken into account.

We used to get by a few years ago with only three or four channels. Now people who can get hundreds of channels are complaining when they lose one channel. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Yea that's true but,the huge difference is we didn't have to pay in the range of $100 per month to watch.If it was all free or very inexpensive then I would agree.

Yea that's true but,the huge difference is we didn't have to pay in the range of $100 per month to watch.If it was all free or very inexpensive then I would agree.

Have to agree. The amount many of us pay does lead to more complaints when something goes wrong.

That was then. This is now. You decide how much you pay, with whom you choose to pay it to.

That was then. This is now. You decide how much you pay, with whom you choose to pay it to.

That is true Kab but,my point being that when you pay for something and you don't get what you expect,then you have the right to complain.

That is true Kab but,my point being that when you pay for something and you don't get what you expect,then you have the right to complain.
I know, but I was addressing your "free or very inexpensive" comment which are from days long passed.

Last edited:
A few pages ago, pepole were talking about OTA through the Dish receivers, whether we can access the channels and DVR programming without a subscription. I must say before I knew that my internet and phone through Comcast came with access to locals. I hooked my OTA straight to the back of the tv. For some reason, my Samsung gets better reception through OTA than my old 722 did at the time. I haven't compared the Samsung's signal strength with my 722k as of yet. I just know that I can access the channels through Dish, and since I don't have an signal amp as of yet, I can switch to Comcast and watch the locals. That includes digital subchannels.

Was eating at a local sports bar, and watching Mountain West network (CSU vs FS), when I saw the Crawler about (local NBC affiliate and other local Gannet owned networks) being dropped on Dish Sunday at midnight. Now, I understand the purpose of the crawlers, but since Dish does not even carry The Mountain, what is the purpose of a Crawler that starts; "Attention Dish subscribers" on The Mountain?

PS, it was very crappy, distracting, and popped up a lot!

For some reason, my Samsung gets better reception through OTA than my old 722 did at the time. I haven't compared the Samsung's signal strength with my 722k as of yet.

My LG TV tuner is also a little better at getting OTA than my Dish receiver. But I have an inline amp now to make up for the coax signal loss and that makes a difference.

Was eating at a local sports bar, and watching Mountain West network (CSU vs FS), when I saw the Crawler about (local NBC affiliate and other local Gannet owned networks) being dropped on Dish Sunday at midnight. Now, I understand the purpose of the crawlers, but since Dish does not even carry The Mountain, what is the purpose of a Crawler that starts; "Attention Dish subscribers" on The Mountain?

Same as when Dish dropped AMC, and Viacom pulled channels from Direct, both of them made ALL carriers suffer with their crawls.

Same as when Dish dropped AMC, and Viacom pulled channels from Direct, both of them made ALL carriers suffer with their crawls.

Saw a article/picture recently for a AMC function where on there red carpet AMC had the banner you may typically see at a red carpet event with logos not on dish...wow they are desperate to get the word out

Gannet is an NBC affiliate in at least two dozen major markets in the US. And NBC is owned by none other than Comcast. So, I am beginning to wonder if somehow Comcast is doing this indirectly for competitive reasons.

There is, but not sure what you are getting at? That's must carry for the carrier, not in any way forcing the local to allow itself to be carried.

A couple thoughts.

If barred from re-transmission I wonder if Dish will be required to block guide data for the OTA Gannet channels?

Also, I seem to recall the federal government got into the Locals issue in requiring some level of coverage of locals, essentially forcing Dish and DirecTV to dedicate more space to for locals. If the locals and dish start finding themselves unable to come to reasonable agreements, might the Feds step in and force some sort of arbitration? My guess is if the Feds have to get involved, any FCC Broadcast license holder will get the shorter end of the stick.

Don't know what station you were watching, but it wasn't the Mountain or the MW network. That went dark on June 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)