Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
About 6 months ago, I predicted that E* would announce, in about 6 months, yet another satellite location. Probably around the 83 to 92 locations.

Of course my prediction was tongue-in-cheek (although based on history) and was meant to illustrate that E* never stops making it difficult for people to get their service. That just when you think you have your dishes & switches in order, they will come along and change something. At that time it was the 118.7 location. Not too long before then it was 129.

86.5 is a good location for a DBS satellite. I always thought VOOM would have been much better served to be somewhere in that area instead of 61.5.

But E*'s satellite strategy, in terms of delivering a mass market service, is very confusing.

Let's see now, they now have birds or leased transponders at:

What will be next? 74? 125? 109.7?

About 6 months ago, I predicted that E* would announce, in about 6 months, yet another satellite location. Probably around the 83 to 92 locations.

Of course my prediction was tongue-in-cheek (although based on history) and was meant to illustrate that E* never stops making it difficult for people to get their service. That just when you think you have your dishes & switches in order, they will come along and change something. At that time it was the 118.7 location. Not too long before then it was 129.

86.5 is a good location for a DBS satellite. I always thought VOOM would have been much better served to be somewhere in that area instead of 61.5.

But E*'s satellite strategy, in terms of delivering a mass market service, is very confusing.

Let's see now, they now have birds or leased transponders at:

What will be next? 74? 125? 109.7?

I would rather have Dish get and much capacity as they can, and require a 2nd dish for niche services than not to be able to offer niche services because of lack of bandwidth.

There are people who want international channels, there are people that want more HD services. Both are niche services.

HD requires lots of bandwidth. You can only cram 3 HD channels on a TP, while on that same TP you would be able to get 10 SD channels comfortabally.

So what are they going to use this slot for? It seems like they would have to either use a large dish (like a SupeDish) in order to receive 110 and 119 as well from the same satellite dish or more likely a seperate satellite dish to pickup from 86.5

What ever happened to the service that SES Americom was going to offer at 105.5? Weren't they supposed to offer a service to compete with Dish and Direct (a la carte offerings)?

The FCC also granted permission for a Netherlands based company, Spectrum Five, to construct, launch and operate two dbs satellites at 114.5 degrees west. Perhaps there will be some more competition for Dish Network and Directv.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-2439A1.pdf
It was long awaiting hot spot for E* : "During the period from June 5 through June 9, 2003, EchoStar Satellite Corporation (EchoStar) filed applications to construct, launch, and operate DBS space stations at the 86.5º W.L., 96.5º W.L., 114.5º W.L., and 123.5º W.L. orbital locations"
Now they will pissed off.

Given a choice of 86.5 or 114.5, you'd think E* would have preferred 114.5 (not to imply they had a choice)

I don't know which way E* was leaning.

Likewise 123.5 and 96.5 would be better than 86.5 too, as far as offering a one-dish solution.

114.5 would have been excellent to hit the entire USA and offer a very simple, compact one-dish solution for 3 birds. And it would have solved line-of-sight issues for everyone who can now get 110/119.

I wonder if E* has any opportunity to buy out the other company's rights to 114.5. Perhaps offer them a chunk of cash along with the 86.5 slot.

114.5 would have been excellent to hit the entire USA and offer a very simple, compact one-dish solution for 3 birds. And it would have solved line-of-sight issues for everyone who can now get 110/119.
Would be a little tight, but not impossible.

What do you think they would call the LNBF - a DPP Triple?
Either way, must be the reason for the new 6 x switch coming out.:D

What a loss for Dish Network to lose 114.5! And that is a huge understatement. That is evenly spaced right in the middle. That would have been GREAT for them for the one dish solution.

Given a choice of 86.5 or 114.5, you'd think E* would have preferred 114.5 (not to imply they had a choice)

I don't know which way E* was leaning.

Likewise 123.5 and 96.5 would be better than 86.5 too, as far as offering a one-dish solution.

I wonder if E* has any opportunity to buy out the other company's rights to 114.5. Perhaps offer them a chunk of cash along with the 86.5 slot.

96.5 would be an awesome slot for CONUS line of sight.

I'm sure a lot of the grey market people in the US watching 82W & 91W will have to move to larger dishes in order to overcome the "bleed over". I wonder if they're getting more broker subs due the Dish distants issues?

Will be insteresting to see what they put at 86.5.

I love these, it's like radio on crack!

86.5 TP 11!

110.0 TP 22! The HIGHWAY birds!

118.7 TP 18! The ROCK satellite!

It seems like Dish would use this orbital location for the following:

Most Likely: Lease the transponders to companies (maybe they can even trade transponders from this satellite for another one closer to their 110/119 orbital slots giving them something like a 2 for 1 trade)

Locals/Internationals: They already have 105/121 that they can do this for though, maybe they need more space to finish up the rest of the SD local markets? Would this 86.5 slot use the same type of high powered satellites that Dish uses for 110/119 or a lower powered satellite like those used at 105/121?

Roof Leak from dish... I pay for it, AND to move Dish?

Sorry, Charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts