Dish Home Protection Plans Changes 3/23

Well, you could immediately cancel and it costs you $36. If you need a truck roll in the coming 5 months and it has nothing to do with your previous visit you simply add it again. If the visit has to do with the same issue you had previously they are going to come out for nothing anyway. The odds of your needing a second visit in that 6 month period for something new is very low. It's your choice though....

The only thing I would want the protection for is when my receiver dies so I can do an advance replacement. Anything else I can fix on my own.

about a month and half a go i had a guy come and give me a new receiver, and he also installed a new satalite dish for me.

they did not charge me, they upgraded me, the tech idea. ...
protection plan is in case receiver or some other stuff becomes damage? or there other features for the protection plan?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Noticed when logging into mydish this morning it was a little different and had to re-enter my credentials that normally populate automatically.

The new dish protect options are there now, but didn't give a lot of details to each service.

Noticed when logging into mydish this morning it was a little different and had to re-enter my credentials that normally populate automatically.

The new dish protect options are there now, but didn't give a lot of details to each service.

I had to sign in also but when I picked Dish Protect it had a couple of links with lots of info, starting next to the continue button... "Click here to learn more about the features........" and then that next page has links for detailed info.

Same here. Once I go to "Dish Protect" it shows me 3 different plans:
Protection Plan ($8.00)
Dish Protect Silver Video ($8.99)
Dish Protect Gold Videl ($12.99)

That would explain why some still have the $8/month option. Maybe we are grandfathered in and Dish just added the other options.

Don forget that the Protection plan includes service calls which one is $90 I believe.

I am also paying $8.00 for the service plan and I signed up for it when I had DISH installed in November 2012 so the price may have been lower before, didn't check the entire history but it's $8.00 as of the March 2017 bill. I think basically there is the $8.00 which is just the Home Protection Plan alone, $8.99 Silver which just adds the Ezshield ID Theft protection on top for the extra $0.99. I had never needed to use the plan but if there were service calls, did you have to pay anything for it other than the $8.00 monthly fee? I was wondering what they meant by Discounted Service calls and if you look at this document: https://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/protection-plan.pdf

It would appear one has to pay a $10.00 fee for each service call as a deductible. This means it would apply for the $8.00 plan as well.

I have been with DISH since September 2007. Went thru all my bills to see what I have been paying for the protection plan. It has had a price increase three times since I joined DISH.
Sep 2007 $5.99
Mar 2010 $6.00
Jun 2012 $7.00
Jun 2014 $8.00
So over the years you have paid $850.00 for the protection. Sorry but not a good deal in my opinion.

Reactions: pattykay
Okay everyone, on the top of page 1 of my April 2, 2017 dated bill, this is what it says:

"Here's the DISH...

With your next bill, your Protection Plan ($8/month) will change to
DISH Protect Silver ($8.99/month). On top of your current coverage,
you will receive Basic Identity Restoration. To learn more about
DISH Protect, please visit mydish.com/dish-protect."

I have a question, the DISH Protect plans all have a $10 service fee for each service call, was there a service fee for the Protection Plan when they sent someone out?

So over the years you have paid $850.00 for the protection. Sorry but not a good deal in my opinion.
Neither is Home Owners, Auto (Comp and Liability), Life (even Whole), and just about any type of insurance because the odds are YOU will never suffer the fates those--often BAD--policies claim to protect--with a high deductable or coverage (even for a fat premium) that will still leave you open to lawsuits for which YOU will have to pay an attorney and handle on your own. And let's not forget the meritorous claims either NEVER paid or only a fraction of the supposed coverage with all sorts of exemptions. Good Grief, even lousy, sketchy fininacial products from the big-name houses leave you totally exposed to charges--both financial and legal--to the IRS who will imprison for you while your Wall Street firm keeps on trukin' telling you that investing in THEIR phoney-balooney product was YOUR problem and they aint helping nor aiding nor standing with you one bit with the IRS. Have fun in Oz.

But, how does one put a price on peace of mind or for when the odds, not matter how slim, do go against you? So, the value of insurance is relative, not absolute, meaning it is up to the individual to decide if is as good deal--for them--and what brings them peace of mind--and I'm talking about even the BEST of plans (never the ones people know exist) where the odds still say you end up LOSING money paying the premiums, with the only hope on the good plans is to minimize the loss by getting some of what you paid back to you, but still a BIG net LOSS.

So let's not get too smug about our supposed superiorty regarding what's a good deal on insurance when the vast mojority of our funds go to paying big premiums for which we will never file a claim in our lifetime. Sorry, but your in the same boat with the rest of us. I've never known anybody who has had any use for the homeowners insurance in the 30-40 years they've been homeowners and have DIED never having a use for it, yet, one could argue that one may be a fool NOT to have such insurance when we become that once in a lifetime statistic. And let's not forget the most common damages we will suffer is most often below the deductable, so we can get that lower premium so that we can afford to feed our kids each month. We all go in knowing we are NEVER gonna get our money's worth, truly, and even accept, and even actually HOPE that we never have to use it and file a claim. That's right: buy insurance and hope we NEVER have a need for it is the prevalent mind-set about insurance for the vast majority of people, which make no real sense, but it makes us FEEL better. Ironically, the odds are we WILL suffer HDD failiures and Dish STB failures and other Dish equipment failures or vital PC failures or failed marriages than all the different policies we pay for to protect us from the least likely things to happen.

All insurance is a "bad deal" to different degrees. The "good" plans can be thought of the least "bad deals."

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts