DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

navychop said:
Those of us that are in grandfathered plans without locals might think twice about moving to Hopper. I'd expect that having locals in your plan will be a requirement.

Its technically required now if you make any change to your account.

I have to be honest... This is a let down for me. I would much rather have the 5 tuners in the Direct box. More popular shows are coming from other sources (Walking Dead, True Blood, etc...). This is still limiting you to recording two satellite shows at a time... Just like a 722K can do now.

I have been very disappointed with the way Dish has handled the 722K slow down problem, so I plan on taking my money & subscription to Direct. I seriously think it is a better solution. I would rather be able to record 5 shows of my choosing... Really, I am looking forward to recording 4, while watching a live sports event.

I give Dish credit for creativity on recording the whole spotbeam for locals, but I think that good programming is migrating more to the 'cable' channels now.

I guess we'll have to wait for all the details, but at first glance, the HR34 seems a better approach. While Primetime Anytime is a neat hook, I don't see it overcoming the additional tuner capacity that the HR34 has. Three tuners isn't enough for a household with adults and kids. Adding a second Hopper is likely to be expensive, both in upfront costs and fees.
Scott had said there are 3 tuners that will record at least 6 things. I guess he means 2 tuners in addition to Primetime. So how often are there going to be more than 2 sat (non lil) being used by most I wonder?

whatchel1 said:
Scott had said there are 3 tuners that will record at least 6 things. I guess he means 2 tuners in addition to Primetime. So how often are there going to be more than 2 sat (non lil) being used by most I wonder?

I think the biggest issue is going to be in a household with kids and several sets. I don't know, but I assume, that the prime time stuff couldn't be watched live by multiple users while recording.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Will the "Primetime" feature come to the 922, since the software is based off it or is the 922's hardware not up to it?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

How do you suppose that one tuner is going to record four programs at once? I don't see any mention of adding a "channel" to everyone's LIL offering that just carries reruns of the week's primetime schedule.

The local affiliates will surely demand that DISH play their commercial laden version of the program.

You really don't bother to read the thread, do you?

Dish will also offer a program this spring for existing Dish subscribers who do not have a DVR?equipped

tuner decoder. This will provide an external hard drive that will plug into legacy equipment to deliver DVR

functionality to a standalone tuner box.

this is an interesting item in the article. charlie

will Joey/Hopper be a closed system to existing DVRs?

Although the thread mentions adding DVR functionality to non-DVR boxes (I have this on my 222k), I dont' see anything about existing DVRs working with Hopper/Joey.

In other words, do I basically abandon my 622, 222k and 2 508's if I want multi-room viewing in the rooms where these devices reside today?

Second question, I saw someone ask earlier but didn't see a response. Given 2 Hoppers in one home and 2 Joeys, will the Joeys connect to either Hopper to watch programming.

Final question. Can I EHD/archive my shows on the 622 and put them on the Hopper? Assume that the 222 is no, since it's a converted DVR (not an archive) and the 508s are no since they don't have EHD capability

jaATL,

First these new receivers are going to be at first aimed to new customers, not existing ones. You will be able to upgrade if you want but will probably pay for the privilege of doing so. For this new system to work it requires a chipset that support MoCA, and none of the current receivers do this the Joey box will be the first box with the necessary chipset.

Two answer question two the answer is yes.

And for your final question, the current answer is it should. :) The Hopper software is built off of the 922 software, and currently you can take a external hard drive from a 622 / 722 and plug it into the 922 and watch all your recordings without issue, so I wouldn't think it would be any different for the Hopper.

jaATL,

First these new receivers are going to be at first aimed to new customers, not existing ones. You will be able to upgrade if you want but will probably pay for the privilege of doing so. For this new system to work it requires a chipset that support MoCA, and none of the current receivers do this the Joey box will be the first box with the necessary chipset.

Two answer question two the answer is yes.

And for your final question, the current answer is it should. :) The Hopper software is built off of the 922 software, and currently you can take a external hard drive from a 622 / 722 and plug it into the 922 and watch all your recordings without issue, so I wouldn't think it would be any different for the Hopper.

I was hoping the Hopper would be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual OTA Tuner Module)to make it 5 tuners(3 Sat+2 OTA).:(

Most cable shows are repeated at least once in the short term. So, if your Hopper is recording two cable shows and you need a third recorded. It should look at the guide and record one of the shows at a later time, as does the 722 amd 722K.

I expect Hopper and Joey to be an expensive upgrade for existing customers. I might consider anyway but I'm not fond of placing all my recordings on a single hard drive. I hope they look a some sort of Raid disk add-on for the future.

Dish will also offer a program this spring for existing Dish subscribers who do not have a DVR?equipped

tuner decoder. This will provide an external hard drive that will plug into legacy equipment to deliver DVR

functionality to a standalone tuner box.

this is an interesting item in the article. charlie

Dish already has a program where you can add DVR support to a 211 if you want (for $40/household). I do not believe it will be offered for any other box (including the 222). What I think they are getting at is a conversion to 8PSK where all the older non dvr/8PSK boxes would probably be replaced with a 211. I see dish trying to upgrade to MPEG-4 receivers now instead of just 8PSK, so I see a program to trade out most of Western arc to 211s for the legacy boxes.

scott, another thread mentioned dish would offer satellite internet this summer,is this a new service or is dish just changing the hughes net name?

Last edited:
jaATL,

This is the part I have never totally understood....Dish limiting who gets the new stuff or penalizing through fees existing customers for upgrades. I imagine marketing has the numbers to back up their methods but it just seems wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts