DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

I am SO ready to come back to dish just for this receiver. I Got sucked into Directv with the sunday ticket deal and im itching for this release. I hate when all we get is "coming soon".

Lack of will or desire to write the software is not a technical reason. If Dish saw financial benefit and wanted to they could write the software to turn a VIP DVR into a Hopper client. It's a business decision, not a technical limitation.

The chipset and tuners do no support MoCa. It IS a technical limitation.

I am SO ready to come back to dish just for this receiver. I Got sucked into Directv with the sunday ticket deal and im itching for this release. I hate when all we get is "coming soon".
From what I hear the inventory is already at the warehouses, its just up to the software folks now... :)

I would expect it to be out before the end of April (if not sooner... a lot sooner) :)

The chipset and tuners do no support MoCa. It IS a technical limitation.

If you go back to the original post it states either over ethernet or moca-ethernet bridge(just as D* does with DECA bidges and older boxes).

Dish could do it if they saw benefit.

I doubt they do see benefit though, and doubt I would in if in their place, which is why I said I doubt we would ever see it.

From a support, install and user experience view they probably want to keep things either pure XIP or pure "legacy." From the user's financial perspective my guess/hope is the cost difference between a second Hopper and a VIP duo will be minimal.

JM42 said:
Can you pair more than one RF remote to the units? I keep three 21.0 remotes floating around our living room.
The Hopper and Joeys all use the same remote (no TV1/TV2 tab) that links the same way as the 922's, so I would expect you can. But since each TV needs a Hopper or Joey, I'm not sure I see the need.

Last edited:
So if i have my house networked i wont need that stupid bridge? Fully Gigabit network should help as well.

The Hopper and Joeys all use the same remote (no TV1/TV2 tab) that links the same way as the 922's, so I would expect you can. But since each TV needs a Hopper or Joey, I'm not sure I see the need.

Big room - we keep a remote in each seating area and a third around when we don't want to dig around in the cushions.

How exactly does this Moca bridge work? Does it need to be connected to the internet?
I asked a few pages back about how they work in relation to the ethernet ports on the back of the hopper/joey and nobody seemed to know.

It's a good question for Scott to find out.

Isn't April in the first quarter?;)

Well, let's see:

January
February
March = 1 quarter
April
May
June = 1 quarter
July
August
September = 1 quarter
October
November
December = 1 quarter

If the year begins in January, can you tell me which quarter April is in? ;)

I asked a few pages back about how they work in relation to the ethernet ports on the back of the hopper/joey and nobody seemed to know.

Well I was just reviewing the Hopper install diagram and saw the Moca bridge sitting next to a Joey and it being connected to a router. Was just curious because I wonder if you have to have internet in order to get the Hopper?

If the Hopper allows both HDMI and Component out at the same time, you can feed two HDTVs at once from each. We're doing this now with our 622 and 722. The 2nd TVs are both in adjacent rooms (bar and laundry respectively), so having the same program on works fine. Having a 2nd remote in the second room is VERY convenient, even essential (admittedly in a conspicuous consumption sort of way :eek:).

I'd like to know too. Scott has said the Hopper/Joey communication is intended to be over Moca coax only, no Cat5.

I see these possibilities:

1: Plug each Joey/Hopper into the network directly using the Cat5 port for internet, allowing for all the internet streaming type apps. Discounting wireless dongles, this would require two wires to every bo:mad:1 cat5 /1 coax).

2: Use the Moca Bridge (assuming it is still a product) to connect the coax network directly to the home router. This would allow a true one wire solution to each Hopper/Joey for video and internet. This is what Moca was designed to do, and mimics the same D* deca functionality.

3: It's possible either Hopper or Joey or both could themselves act as a bridge. Plug one unit into your internet router and all other units can see the internet. This is two wires to the one box and one wire everywhere else. I would think this is the least likely option, but the two Cat5 ports on the Hopper would suggest there may be some switch or hub circuitry already in the box, bridging would not be a big jump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)